Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:51:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Perry Boers  (Read 3399 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: New Perry Boers
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 12:48:11 PM »
Thanks Arthur, very informative  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2016, 04:14:50 AM »
yes, I've seen those Perry figures ( in fact I've already bought a set of officers, but they will feature in the Indian Mutiny) but I'm confused with the time frames. For example I just read that the Boers weren't very active in the 8t Cape War and the new (workbench) Perry British infantry is exactly for the 8th CW.
The earlier packs are mostly for  the 7th and 8th CW which means from 1946-1853 but the newest packs say suitable for the First Afghan War which was earlier in 1939-1842?
Perhaps the uniform didn't change all that much but I just want to make sure I won't be buying the wrong figures.

The clean-shaven Perry figures in Kilmarnock caps and shell jackets depict an order of dress that emerged in the late 1830's and remained in use until the 1850's. This was the undress uniform that was meant to replace the dress coatee and shako in warm climates, and as such the figures can be used for the first Carlist War between 1836 and 1838, the Afghan war of 1839-42, various conflicts in India through the 1840's (the Gwalior war and Sikh wars among others) and the Maori war of 1845-46. As far as the Cape wars are concerned, these figures can be used as fresh off the boat British troops as their pristine appearance would not have lasted very long under the South African sun.  

British troops quickly adapted their uniforms to the South African climate : they either wore steel jackets or coatees with the lace tape removed (shoulder wings were also frequently removed in the flank companies and light infantry regiments) and the men replaced or modified their headwear. Kilmarnock caps were fitted with a peak to shield the eyes from the sun, or replaced with broad-brimmed hats. Stocking caps also appear to have been quite popular despite offering little protection against the sun. The rigours of campaigning also took their toll on the clothing, uniforms often becoming ragged and tatty after a few weeks in the field. The men frequently stopped shaving and some occasionally sported some pretty fierce beards.

Most of the Perry figures in campaign uniforms can be used for both the seventh and eighth Xhosa wars, though some feature small details that will make them more suitable for either the former or the latter. A look at Mike Snook's extensive book will tell you exactly what each pack is supposed to be good for but if you want a quick primer, you can have a look at the very commendable Osprey MAA on the British army on campaign 1816-1853 which also covers the Cape wars and provides a list of all the British units which fought in each one of them.  

As for the Boers, they wore civilian clothing which did not change much between 1834 and 1853, and their weaponry also remained the same throughout the period.  

The best way to go about it is perhaps to select one war and build your forces around that. The seventh Cape war is perhaps slightly more interesting because by then the Xhosa had managed to acquire firearms in large numbers, and the Boers would still be fighting on the British side, though not side by side with the British regulars. My understanding is that Boer commandos would fight on their own as they did not really trust or respect the Queen's troops and especially their commanding officers (Andries Stockenström and his Burghers actually walked out on the British in disgust during the course of the 7th Cape war). And Sir Harry Smith antagonised them so completely a few years later that they refused to take part in the eighth war at all and left the British regulars to fight it on their own.  

If you want a typical and multi-purpose British force for the Cape wars, start with a mix of CFB 5-6-7 and you're set (though I'd avoid mixing stripped down coatees and shell jackets within the same unit : the order of dress of each infantry regiment was decided by its colonel and it would normally be either coatees or shell jackets). Then wait for the twins to bring out more specific troops, as there are apparently many other packs in the pipeline.  
« Last Edit: September 17, 2016, 04:40:25 PM by Arthur »

Offline Volleyfire!

• Scientist
  • At 100 yards................Volleyfire!!!
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2016, 11:36:13 AM »
I  think most of those Boers wouldn't look too out of place riding to the rescue of the Alamo?

Offline Goliad

• Librarian
« Reply #18 on: September 18, 2016, 01:02:02 PM »
I plan to put them to service in Texas (Revolution) and Florida (Seminole war). Great to have some new 1830s -1840s militia types to buy.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 18, 2016, 02:59:30 PM »
I  think most of those Boers wouldn't look too out of place riding to the rescue of the Alamo?

That was my first thought. I might have to pick up a pack and see how they scale with my Boot Hill Miniatures collection. ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2016, 04:23:02 PM »
That was my first thought. I might have to pick up a pack and see how they scale with my Boot Hill Miniatures collection. ;)

Though you didn't like Perry figures  ;D

cheers

James