Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:08:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686636
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Warlord paratroopers for Korea  (Read 1604 times)

Offline seamoose

• Bookworm
    • Ain't over til I'm out of plastic
Warlord paratroopers for Korea
« on: September 16, 2016, 09:46:56 PM »
For any one that has this knowledge, would the new plastic US paratroops that warlord are about to release work for the Korean war?

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
Re: Warlord paratroopers for Korea
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2016, 09:45:04 AM »
I wouldn't claim to be an expert, but since no-one else has answered, I'll have a go.  Please correct me if I'm wrong, anyone!

Broadly, yes.  The Warlord plastic US Airborne figures are wearing M1943 uniforms.  These would be replaced by the M1951 pattern, but I don't imagine roll-out was instantaneous, and the M1951 is quite similar.  US infantry equipment (packs etc) didn't change from WW2 until the introduction of the M1956 pattern after the Korean war.  Where my ignorance shows is that I can't tell whether airborne used the same equipment in either or both conflicts.

But for Korea, use M3 grease guns rather than Thompsons.  The listing of box contents at https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/us-airborne/products/us-airborne-parachute-infantry only includes Thompsons, so you'll have to source those elsewhere.   And go easy on the mohawk haircuts!

Does that sound right?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2016, 12:31:59 PM »
Pretty much what I would have said and follows for all infantry, airborne or otherwise.

Mohawks, netting and field dressings on helmets would be out, along with the Thompsons (I think at least). If you really want to go for total accuracy you would need to carve back the cargo pockets on the trousers too. The M1/M2 Carbine was more common than the M3 Grease Gun as a section leader's weapon, so a lack of M3s is quite legit. Hessian sacking was used in lieu of nets on helmets, so a bit of light work on the netted helmets will save binning them.

The platoon MGs were either two M1919 Brownings on the light tripod, or two bipod M1919A6 as come with the set (never a mix though). You would have to convert M20 'Super Bazookas', but the WWII ones will work fine (in appearance but not in practice) as M9s for the best part of the first year. BARs soon became two per squad, as had been the case at the end of WWII.

If it was me I think I might be inclined to buy the U.S. Infantry (or just some single sprues) with the Airborne set to give the best effect for Korea. Keep the Thompsons for the Chinese... Plastic Russians with Thompsons might work for them, or possibly not. 

Offline seamoose

• Bookworm
    • Ain't over til I'm out of plastic
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2016, 05:33:32 PM »
Thanks for the info guys. Aesthetically the M1/M2 is similar to the M1 that comes in the kit right? Also, and I know this isn't quite the right board but, would these figures work for paratroops in the pacific or were those troops issued the herring bone twill fatigues?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2016, 11:21:21 PM »
Hmm, those look promising. With some minor surgery and head swaps those should do nicely up to the 1960s.  Berlin 1961 here we come...

Of course if they would like to grace us with some plastic leg infantry in the  M1943 that would be even better. Unlikely though. Oddly enough the original Bolt Action range, pre-Voldemort games had just such a line and they were better sculpts than most of the current crop.

I'm curious about one figure that seems to be gripping an imaginary pistol grip on the BAR. Maybe just a construction error.

Thanks for the info guys. Aesthetically the M1/M2 is similar to the M1 that comes in the kit right? Also, and I know this isn't quite the right board but, would these figures work for paratroops in the pacific or were those troops issued the herring bone twill fatigues?

The Osprey trade giveaway I have on US Army Airborne, shows US paratroopers at Nadzab in New Guinea in 1944 wearing the older khaki M1942 uniform. By the time of the Philippines campaign in 1945 they are in green herringbone twill. Photos, albeit indistinct ones, that  I've seen of the jump on Corregidor seem to bear out the darker HBT uniform.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2016, 11:29:00 PM »
The M2 Carbine differed from the M1 Carbine in being selective fire automatic and having a longer 'banana' magazine. The M1 Carbine was the very same M1 Carbine as used in WWII; I don't know if any folding stock types were still used however.