Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:10:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Vanvlak's gaming surfaces: 1 - the hanging board  (Read 1669 times)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Vanvlak's gaming surfaces: 1 - the hanging board
« on: September 25, 2016, 03:28:06 PM »
In one of my sporadic efforts to focus on projects I'm trying to put the horse before the cart,and getting a few (not just one, of course!) gaing surfaces done.

I also have a dearth of space where I can leave surfaces set up, so I'm usually trying to find storage solutions.

Here is something which may (or may not) be original, which I experimented on using a small scale.

I have no idea whether there are any art experts around; I like to paint and create art stuff; I'm also rubbish at it, but I have fun trying,so it's worth the while.
Here is my latest piece (bear with me, this is not going off-topic) - I call it Blockhouse.

Here's another view - it's not hanging on the wall here, but laid flat...

Those are GHQ tanks on it, the plan is to use this for a small scale version of the Gale Force 9 game 'Tanks'.

In other words, my gaming surface's secret identity is an artwork (well, if you can call it that) hanging from the wall.

Here's a close up:

The blocks could have been painted up as real buildings, but then it would have been less artsy, and I like a surreal battlefield anyway.

Hint no. 1 - hanging art is only limited in size by the expanse of wall and the strength of the nail used to hang it up.
Hint no. 2 - make sure your partner appreciates the art you produce... my lovely spouse does and tolerates a lot, but I'm not convinced she liked this, so I'll hang it in the office probably.

More projects to follow at a glacier's pace.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: Vanvlak's gaming surfaces: 1 - the hanging board
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2016, 01:58:19 PM »
May I add, you can also leave it hanging on the wall and use it for a 3-D dungeon-crawl skirmish game. Awesome! (And artistic!)
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2016, 02:26:29 PM »
That is a very clever idea, sir.
Bravo!
 8)

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2016, 05:51:28 PM »
May I add, you can also leave it hanging on the wall and use it for a 3-D dungeon-crawl skirmish game. Awesome! (And artistic!)
You can, but I'm planning something more complex for that  :D

@Mason: Thank you.