Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:33:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690456
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Exotic 1/58 - 28mm Orcs, Dwarves, Elves and Humans 3D renders  (Read 4791 times)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Exotic 1/58 - 28mm Orcs, Dwarves, Elves and Humans 3D renders
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2016, 11:27:44 AM »
Some of Tolkien's elves had beards - Círdan, most obviously, Mahtan too and possibly Beleg:

"As they came to the gates Círdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars, and he looked at them and bowed, and said: 'All is now ready.'"

I think it's fairly clear that Norse elves were seen as being bearded, for two reasons: one, they were seen as an embodiment of male beauty, which included beardedness; two, they were associated with Freyr and the Vanir, who were sometimes seen as elves - and Freyr is generally shown with a beard.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2016, 11:33:11 AM »
Native Americans don't often have facial hair. They can grow it, and some do (especially in the north) but cultural norms mean most of the time they don't. This is how I see it with Elves.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2016, 12:05:10 PM »
Well, i would ask, why an elf, a living being with organic, biological needs would not have beard or body hair ? Why can he have eyebrows, head hair and eyelashes, "fur" that plays the same rol as facial hair..

Would elves have or not have pubic hair? i would not limit the design of a creature to what is "fashion", an unquestioned uncritiquesed fashion or "culture".. We are talking about living being, not gods, and a living being that in a fantasy setting, has evolved during millenia, should have the same evolution adaptations to the surroundings, the medium where he has developed as a specie.

Wow, what a snide and defensive response. I would suggest that if you are going to be the representative of your company that you work on your people skills. I merely asked a question as to why they had beards. Most representations of elves that I am familiar with do not have facial hair. I was curious if there was a background reason to the design of these models that made them different than elves I was familiar with. I was asking if there was a story/world associated with these miniatures.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2016, 03:27:05 PM »
Because i started
"Well ...i would ask"
you say that? :o because i see no ofense, i was making a statement, explaining my position, giving arguments...

The "well i would ask" was like saying "if i would have made elves without beard, would you have questioned why?"

That aside, here is how i see making the "germanic" elves

I imagine them having bearder older warriors, and unbeard younger "cosmopolitan" soldiers. Also, beards could be more suitable for elves farmers/country folk, while shaved face for more urban people, guards, the court...

Old kings, nobles andadvisors could have beard too

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2016, 03:30:49 PM »
There is a setting/world , yes:

http://www.worldofmagrieb.com/

Its under development, we are basing the world in real world cultures and mythologies with the plus of designing/thinking all as if there was a real species evolution, fantasy species rather than "races".. a phylogenetic aproach ! :D

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2016, 07:57:53 PM »
Wow, what a snide and defensive response. I would suggest that if you are going to be the representative of your company that you work on your people skills. I merely asked a question as to why they had beards. Most representations of elves that I am familiar with do not have facial hair. I was curious if there was a background reason to the design of these models that made them different than elves I was familiar with. I was asking if there was a story/world associated with these miniatures.
I read his answer and didn't see any snide to it. I think it's simply that English is not his first language and he isn't as familiar with English idioms as native speakers would be. He could be a she of course.

I like the dwarf priest.
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2016, 08:47:03 PM »
Wow, what a snide and defensive response.

I think you're overreacting a bit there. I didn't see much wrong with the answer.

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2016, 02:02:11 AM »
Talking about bearded elves, here i made the "Akkirian" Priest/Channeller + the "cult place" (steles) , a faction that clearly has assyrian references:

Front view

Perpective:

As the humans stone/rune, the Akkirians stele tells the same story, the back face of the stele has the tree of life representation.

Salutes! :)

Offline Menhir Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: October 15, 2016, 01:23:00 AM »
The Uyghurd orcs have their cult place and priest/shaman :)