Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:13:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Abbreviations, glossary, indexes, apendices... etc.  (Read 3290 times)

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
Abbreviations, glossary, indexes, apendices... etc.
« on: February 03, 2009, 11:18:43 PM »
Hello all,

I was browsing the forum and thought a nice idea would be to have a list of abbreviations and glossary terms for the less initiated. Does anything like this exist on the forum? Have I possibly missed it?

Something similar could be done with miniature manufacturers and links to their website or something. Like a directory.

Anyway, just a thought!

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Abbreviations, glossary, indexes, apendices... etc.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 01:54:41 PM »

You may found some useful... and not so useful abbreviations there; http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=6415.0
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 09:29:01 PM »
Christian, are you thinking of abbreviations like GW, BoB, WWWII and such? I think most people here stay  away from the kind of gobbledegook you get in SMS  (rofl etc.)  (...and that is the way it should be... IMO ;))

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2009, 12:24:34 PM »
Oh god no, SMS "language" is horrid but abbreviations seem inevitable when speaking about jargon such as the names of game systems and other technical babble.

May not be as good an idea as I thought :)

Offline Kestrel

• Librarian
    • CameraDave.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2009, 08:31:25 PM »
Christian, are you thinking of abbreviations like GW, BoB, WWWII and such? I think most people here stay  away from the kind of gobbledegook you get in SMS  (rofl etc.)  (...and that is the way it should be... IMO ;))

I have to admit I suspect that BoB isn't Black Orc Blocker, but I am sure if I came across it in it's proper context I'd have more of an idea of what it usually stands for.

Christian, whilst the idea in some respects is good one. The people who might benefit from it are unlikely to have the good idea of looking for such a thread.  That or if the less initiated such as myself would just ask for clarification, after all this forum doesn't look like one that bites newbies too hard.
Mein Doodlesack ist mangelhaft

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2009, 10:01:09 PM »
BoB is Back of Beyond.  :)
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2009, 09:33:56 AM »
after all this forum doesn't look like one that bites newbies too hard.

I think that says a lot. This is certainly one of the better forums I've been on, and generally looking for clarification on some the more mysterious aspects of adventure gaming leads to finding some real gems, or even just having some rather good conversations!

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2009, 09:39:44 AM »
That or if the less initiated such as myself would just ask for clarification, after all this forum doesn't look like one that bites newbies too hard.

Possibly, but we old timers don't have teeth........  lol
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'