Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 12:39:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Seriously thinking about packing it all in  (Read 5173 times)

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Seriously thinking about packing it all in
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2016, 09:35:45 AM »
I did quit the hobby years ago. When I started university and thought I had to be all grown up and responsible. I sold of as much as I could and threw the rest in the bin. Now some 20 years later there is not a day that I do not regret that. I have spent way to much trying to reacquire minis.

Since then I have had shorter or longer periods without gaming or painting. But I always drift back to it. I have now come to realise that in a stressfull life with real world obligations to family and work it is nice to have a free space to relax and unwind a bit. I paint miniatures and build terrain that I probably will only use once or twice.

But I am ok with that. I have dropped the cost/benefit evaluation of my hobby. Any hobby costs money and takes time. And I find that even though I never get to play any games with some of my minis. I have still had some quiet time with myself away from real life turmoil whilst I painted it. And that in it self makes it worthwhile for me.

I quess what I am trying to say in this rather long winded post is. Whatever you do, do not get rid of your collection.

Offline black hat miniatures

• Mad Scientist
    • http://www.blackhat.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2016, 09:44:49 AM »
It is worth considering different approaches to gaming.

I have taken up games in 54mm and using grid-based rules such as The Portable Wargame as a way of doing something completely different to my day job of running Black Hat Miniatures and (mostly) selling 15mm figures.

Of course, my investigating 54mm figures did lead me to setting up a Toy Soldier company, but that's a different story!

Mike
Mike Lewis

Black Hat Miniatures
www.blackhat.co.uk

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2016, 11:29:09 PM »
Your interest comes and goes.  I gave up minis entirely for about a decade, and since I came back to it I've had years where I got very little done.  Don't be afraid to pack it in for a bit.

I've had a mixed year - I finally have my own small game room with space for a 6x4 table (and not much else), and I'm loving it, it was something of a lifetime ambition.  On the other hand, personal and family illnesses have taken a bit of a toll this year and I've painted very little.

The games I've had have been fantastic though- mostly with local chaps I met on here.  We all enjoy meeting up and shooting the breeze, moving minis around, chatting about painting.  Sometimes there are even rules!

This winter, I've been volunteered to do some re-enactment (and thanks to illness, I can finally fit into a uniform!) and bushcraft.  Painting and gaming will be in there, but we'll see.  Like Vanvlak, I'd love to get back into making terrain boards, but I don't have the space.  I can live with that compromise..

Have a think about what it is you want out of the hobby, and how you could achieve that, or who you need to cultivate locally.  Don't be afraid to go off and do something else for a while.

Don't be afraid to talk to your doctor either - there's much less stigma, and much more support available, these days concerning stress, anxiety and depression.  While I'm not saying that's you, loss of interest can be a symptom, especially when connected with serious family events.

The collection?  As Dr Zombie said, pack it up but keep it.

And all the best in your choices sir!

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2016, 11:41:43 PM »
I've gone through this several times, anymore I collect more figures than I game and I have stopped building huge armies to just skirmishing.

Dr Zombie sums up my feelings
Since then I have had shorter or longer periods without gaming or painting. But I always drift back to it. I have now come to realise that in a stressfull life with real world obligations to family and work it is nice to have a free space to relax and unwind a bit. I paint miniatures and build terrain that I probably will only use once or twice.

But I am ok with that. I have dropped the cost/benefit evaluation of my hobby. Any hobby costs money and takes time. And I find that even though I never get to play any games with some of my minis. I have still had some quiet time with myself away from real life turmoil whilst I painted it. And that in it self makes it worthwhile for me

It's the only hobby I've really enjoyed and no matter how many times I give it up I always drift back to it.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2016, 11:45:54 PM by The Gray Ghost »
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2016, 04:19:40 PM »
I'm thinking of addding more stuff.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2016, 05:10:45 PM by grant »
It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2016, 10:55:55 PM »
I'm thinking of addding more stuff.

You swing back and forth like a flippin' pendulum. The amount of times you've flogged off all your stuff, only to use the money to buy some new shiny thing.

I salute you. You're my hero.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2016, 10:58:47 AM »
You swing back and forth like a flippin' pendulum. The amount of times you've flogged off all your stuff, only to use the money to buy some new shiny thing.

I salute you. You're my hero.

Lol!

The difference is that I am now a single man. Well, lovely girlfriend, but that horrid wife that hated gaming is gone. I do what I want now!

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2016, 11:21:17 AM »
I can certainly relate. About 2 years ago I found myself with little budget, little storage space, 2 toddlers running around and a wife who doesn't really appreciate my 'weird hobbies'. No opponents nearby, but I was usually pretty exhausted and although I made the effort a few times to get out and game I found that getting on the motorway after a long work day and trying to get the kids to bed just wasn't working.

We were in a rented house with a big dining table and I set up some solo games on there but didn't enjoy spending 3 hours on my feet. I've found the answer to be shrinking everything down. Sold off most of my 28mm minis and all my 15mm and shrunk everything down for 6mm and 10mm. I play in cm on a 80x60cm area. The minis are cheaper and quick and fun to paint. Terrain is cheap and looks good. I can sit and play at the end of the dining room table (though not nearly often enough), and because 2 complete 10mm armies like I just ordered for AWI Sharp Practice 2 only cost about £40 the missus isn't moaning at me nearly as much.

In your position I would pack everything up somewhere safe and take a break. Don't sell, in 6 months or a year you might get the bug and there's nothing worse than having to replace a big collection. Good luck, have fun!

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2016, 12:09:28 PM »
I think you can probably gather from all the heartfelt responses that you are by no means alone. I'm 'over the hill' and Real Life has really got in the way the last couple of years, but I found a new level of hobbying, and with support from guys on this forum have rekindled my interest again.
Take a break, seek some inspiration, find the thing that gets the creative juices going again but above all, whatever you do, don't sell up. You'll either find it inspirational looking back at what you've achieved in the past, or find it useful as a springboard into taking your hobby in a new direction.
If it had not been for seeing 'Armies of Arcana' at a convention, and trying it out with all its faults, I might never have got back into fantasy wargaming after years in the wilderness. I came close to jacking it all in and selling off all my collections.
Now Lion/Dragon Rampant has come along and rekindled my interest in both medieval and low fantasy gaming, and I've now got into 'Game of Thrones' in a big way...
Hang in there and your mojo will return... and you'll remember all the good reasons for sticking with the hobby all those years
Best of luck 
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2016, 01:40:30 PM »
I have been losing motivation due to lack of opponents. My gaming friends have moved away, although we do meet up a couple of times a year.

Admittedly I enjoy the army building and research side of the hobby however I do need the objective of an eventual game with the figures painted to keep me going. I am not really a club gamer as I generally like a largish game with a good set up so I prefer to set aside a half or full day for a game every month or so.

It would be good if we all made an effort to show a general location in our profile and be open to approaches for games from anyone local. I am a bit embarrassed to talk about my hobby with those I perceive to be non-wargamers. A shame really as for all I know my next door neighbour might be a solo gamer with the same sort of hang up  lol

Offline Mr.J

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 30, 2016, 02:16:28 PM »
I drift in and out, rarely game but paint and model lots.

I'm very much in atm but a few years I came very close to jacking it in sold lots of stuff and thoroughly regret it now.

Maybe have a break and see how you get on. Don't sell anything just yet, you'll probably regret it!

Offline sonicReducer

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2016, 03:10:17 PM »
One thing I am curious about is the 'my partner doesn't like my hobby' which a few chaps have mentioned. Is that an active dislike of or more a lack of interest in it sort of thing?

For me it's more of a roll-her-eyes oh-not-more-of-this-stuff. I love my wife but she isn't a fan of my hobbies - wargaming and video gaming. I'm not a fan of the trash she watches on TV but I don't give her grief for that. I've come to realise it's her issue, not mine. I'm entitled to spend time and money on things I enjoy and I don't need anyone's sign off

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2016, 08:00:46 PM »
I don't game much but I every few weeks or months I walk around the house and take a look at the stuff I made, be it terrain or miniatures, sitting in cupboards, and I occasionally go in the basement and pull out an old cardboard box full of little pirate ships or whatever to rifle through the contents, and it always brings a smile on my face even if it's just 10 minutes.

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2016, 11:30:54 PM »
I doubt if I would do anything more with miniatures if it weren't for the fact that I have friends who like to play, and at least one friend who is still regularly painting and making terrain. Miniatures and terrain are much more fun with friends to share the spectacle with. Otherwise I'd probably empty out the closets and get into computer games, or would play cardboard wargames via the internet.

I'm both a cardboard wargamer and a miniatures wargamer, and I have to say that I've found far more cardboard wargames that were really fun to play. It seems that miniatures rules just aren't as good. I've yet to try any western gunfight rules that are as exciting as the old Avalon Hill cardboard Gunslinger. I've yet to try any tactical WW2 miniatures rules that are as fun to play as the old cardboard Squad Leader and Cross of Iron. And the list goes on. But I will give a nod to Fleet Action Imminent for WW1 naval, which is a pretty good set of miniatures rules. And I'll give a lot of praise for Pulp Alley, a remarkably fun set of Pulp miniatures rules.

Finding a game group can be a lot of work. I once spent an entire year using the internet and face to face meetings trying to get 7 players together to start a campaign of Empires in Arms, and intense long term Napoleonic strategy and diplomacy game. After getting the group together, we had to replace multiple players as the game went on over 4 years. In the end it was worth it. But the effort needed to get wargamers together can be daunting.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: October 04, 2016, 07:48:55 AM »
I started with dark future and rogue trader 40k,when at school,then discovered 50cc bikes,girls and working so I ended up selling or binning it. Fast forward to now needed hobby that could put aside when real life gets in way,remembered warhammer etc  course I went on went on a mad spree influenced by all the great threads on here,then cut back on all the impulse stuff,so now I have a small amount in the loft,that when I get time to myself I can start again, mainly skirmish 28 mm
Hoping to have one fantasy and one sci fi . For me it's the kitbashing part and the fluff.