Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 06:45:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chrome Warriors  (Read 7348 times)

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
Re: Chrome Warriors
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2016, 11:02:34 AM »
I've been thinking about this game for a bit now, and I'm not entirely sure the "rigger" ability really works well with the level system. Giving an lvl 1 character rigger is great value for money, however giving it to an lvl 3 character is a bit of a waste of their action. I haven't really thought of an elegant way to fix this, everything I think if is pretty complex.

Another point, again dealing with the weapons. When a model has only a single weapon ability, say pistol, does he always need to use it, or is he allowed to use the "generic" weaponless base combat rules when it is more convenient?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #31 on: October 30, 2016, 01:11:11 PM »
You're right, Riggers aren't the best at level 3. But I'm okay with that...I don't think that each ability should be as awesome with each level. As an alternative you could give each Rigger the same number of drones as their tier. But that is too easy to abuse. Two Riggers: 6 free drones! But for a level 3 heavy into Skill and not Combat, having a drone moving around can be useful. You can also burn 1 Bullet Time to get a third action, making the Rigging less painful on your actions.

And yes, characters can choose when to use their abilities. You can see Abilities as advantages, so they can use them as good as they want! So when firing far away, you could choose not to use a Pistol. I will be removing the negative modifiers for longer range, since you won't be using them anyway. Will be done in the next update.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #32 on: October 30, 2016, 08:05:54 PM »
Actually 2- lvl3 riggers 6 drones might be right, since instead of 2lvl 3 riggers you could have 6 lvl 1 riggers. Another option, when avtivating a drone it gets a number of actions equal to the rigger level.

The pistol and the magnum give a re-roll an a ap on all ranges, so i might see the point to using them even with penalties.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #33 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:32 AM »
Actually 2- lvl3 riggers 6 drones might be right, since instead of 2lvl 3 riggers you could have 6 lvl 1 riggers. Another option, when avtivating a drone it gets a number of actions equal to the rigger level. 

Although they bring the same amount of drones, I think they play very differently. With 6 Tier 1 Riggers you do have 12 Green models (EEK!), but they are all on the weak side. Then again, with 12 models you can dish out a lot of attacks with good chances of doing some good rolls in 1-2 attacks. But I think you’d sooner see 2 Tier 3 characters with Rigger than 6 Tier 1s. The Tier 3 characters are way more versatile (with 2 extra Abilities), have better Combat and Skill options and you can use Bullet Time more effectively. The Tier 1 characters have the main advantage of burning a lot of activations and rolling many attacks. But they are quite mediocre.
If players want to field 6 Riggers they are free to do so…but I expect it won’t happen.

The pistol and the magnum give a re-roll an a ap on all ranges, so i might see the point to using them even with penalties.

Good point and similar to what I was thinking last night. They are advantages, but it makes sense characters will use them as their main weapon of choice. Only if characters have multiple weapon Abilities, they can choose what weapon to use for each attack. I’ll think some more on this one.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #34 on: October 31, 2016, 10:40:52 AM »
The question here also becomes, what does not taking a weapon quality mean? Should you always take the appropriate one for the weapon the model is carrying?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #35 on: October 31, 2016, 10:45:57 AM »
Nope. You always the "default" attack. A bit like Pulp Alley. Getting a weapon gives certain options and (dis)advantages.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2016, 09:56:01 AM »
Small update here! I have been slogging on my scenery for the last weeks and finally finished a new building (photos soon). Poldercon is approaching fast, so I need to finish stuff fast (including YPU's awesome drone). But I also made a QRS for the game, to make playing easier. I think all the important stuff is on it. I will make a second 'cheat sheet' with all Abilities on it next.

I also edited the rules a bit (removing the Coup de Grace modifier, adding some +D10/-D10 modifers to attacks which were in the rules but not in the table). No major changes, small things.

In a week or two I will order the mousemat for Cyberspace...REALLY anxious to see it in the flesh!

Here's the link to the QRS:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/9vkkljld9rnm76m/QRS%20Chrome%20Warriors.pdf?dl=0
(but it's also in the Dropbox so can be accessed from the link in the 1st post).

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #37 on: November 28, 2016, 10:49:26 AM »
I took a look at Printer Studio and saw they had a smaller size mousemat than what I first aimed for: 28" x 14". So about half of what I used. The current map has a lot of "excess space", so I thought it would be wise to resize the mat to this size. It's a bit more busy than the other one...but I like the fact that the side board will be a lot smaller. With 1" circles for the RAM-tokens I cannot fit in RAM tracks for 4 hackers...so this version will be for 2 hackers. Here's the current mock-up:

I will tweak it a bit this evening (check if I can fit in the other two RAM tracks if I move everything up a little) and then place an order for it on Printer Studio, since they have a 12% Cyber Monday sale. I'll update here once I receive it. And of course, I will upload the final image to the Dropbox.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2016, 10:11:39 PM »
Map received!

(quick photos with my phone)

Received the neoprene mat today and it looks awesome! Just as I wanted it to be. The neoprene really gives a slick look and the printing is sharp and rich in colours. Once again, Printer Studio delivered 8)
Now to see it all in action...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2016, 11:06:03 PM »
Very interesting project, just popped this in to bookmark it for notifications!  :)
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Parkaboy

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: October 15, 2017, 02:45:51 AM »
Have you done more with this, Malebolgia?