Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:06:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)  (Read 7606 times)

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)
« on: September 29, 2016, 12:59:27 PM »
Hi and welcome to my plog of post apocalyptic model mayhem.

I love the genre in general and Devils Run was my way into this as part of the models (have mostly done fantasy).

Devils Run
Is an excellent 20mm vehicle combat game. Simply and quick to pick up rules. The game has a ery Mad Max feel to it, excellent for beers with the mates. Also the game is the same size as Matchbox and Hotwheel cars, so it's easy to convert your own stuff for it.

Some home builds
This is my first car. An old hotwheeler. I've added crew from Ramshackle Games (excellent, cheap resin bits incl. shipping).
This is before dipping and blood.

This is a trukk for Devils Run. Taking up 2x3 squares. A mix of three different die cast car I sawed up. Dozer blade, crew and gun from Ramshackle Games.

« Last Edit: November 19, 2016, 08:44:01 PM by Bloodbeard »

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Re: Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2016, 01:09:37 PM »
Word Forge Games - Devils Run
These cars are all from WFG and official Devils Run models. Excellent resin casts, have a real nice weight to them.

KS Exclusive "Not Mad Max" Bane.

The Laws Haulage Company.
This gang has a nice law enforement theme going, despite being a gang like anyone else. I've painted these inspired by the first Mad Max movie. Main Force Patrol.

Car

Buggy (small armored car)

Bikes

My entire painted gang

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
War Rig
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 01:11:51 PM »
I had to get this model. It's also WFG resin piece. The War Rig! A huge model filling 2x8 squares (an entire devils run board).

Put a little tribute to The Watchmens Comedian back here.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2016, 01:15:02 PM »
Devils Run: Hells Highway
Currently (ending oct. 3rd) WFG is running a kickstarter for a standalone expansion called Hells Highway.

You'll get a complete box game and a whole bunch of freebies. I've pledged for this. It contains a high amount of models for the price. It also contains a bunch of freebie card for extra vehicles, giving you card for some homemade cars and conversion potential.

The first Devils Run kicsktarter has been one of my best KS experiences, with WFG being really great publishers.

Check it out for some 20mm mayhem
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wordforgegames/the-devils-run-hells-highway/description

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2016, 01:20:52 PM »
Cool stuff man!! Now it really sucks the Devil's Run will be delivered in a year's time ;)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2016, 03:14:44 PM »
Cool stuff man!! Now it really sucks the Devil's Run will be delivered in a year's time ;)

Well we all now have the models from the first kickstarter and in the webshop there is enough to keep me busy for some months! :)

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 08:40:24 PM »
Working away on all my dungeon interior / treasure etc. Made some cobblestone work on some bases and had a bit of extra greenstuff mixed.

Then a friend came by for coffee... so the greenstuff was almost set.

Then I remembered I've bought a set of rubber molds from Greenstuff World. These makes different kinds of screws, bolts, nut, rivets in a lot of different sizes. Nice not wasting greenstuff ever again - and perfect for sci-fi and post apo conversion work.

I've written the owner of Greenstuff World and try to get him to make a skull rubber mold. Imagine that. A mold for making different sizes and shapes of skulls from your rest putty.

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 09:09:55 PM »
I think we all always have leftover greenstuff, getting one of these moulds just for that might be worth it!  :)
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 06:40:36 PM »
I think we all always have leftover greenstuff, getting one of these moulds just for that might be worth it!  :)
I've absolutely fallen in love with mine. So great.

Devils Run vehicles
Next up on my paint complete collections list is my remaining Devils Run vehicles. I really love to paint the small 20mm cars - but I hate to paint the bikes. They have details like a 28mm model, but it's so tiny. So I haven't been very productive. Decided to fix up some models and then continue to paint later.

The Skinners trukk (psycho, cannibal raiders) wasn't grizzly enough, compared to the Skinner Bikes and Trike. So I've added a Caesar Miniatures Zombies as a tied up victim. And I've added some Blackdog Miniatures 1:72 skulls as well. This has made it look much better.

I only have a Skinners Buggy and no car. So this is my Carcuss for the Skinners. I've been inspired by the Buzzards in Mad Max: Fury Road. The armor plates are from Ramshackle Games. Still need to have some skulls and bolts added.

In January I'll be running a lot of simultanious intro games in my old club. So I need a lot of vehicles to bring. I decided to make another car for The Law. Will be painted in MFP colours as the others.

When I got my stuff from Wordforge Games there were two miscast. A Skinner trike with no handle bars (or perhaps they broke in postage) and a Law Bike with a messed up front wheel (hidden air bubble in the resin). WFG send me extra bits right away, good service.

But I just figures that I could make a Frankenstein bike. So the is the body from The Law bike, the front wheel from the skinner bike, a handle bar from wire and an extra driver that I had gotten. The backrest is from the Skinner bike as well. Added some skulls to it as well. An voila - free bike!

I want to paint up all this Devils Run stuff quickly - so I can say it's all done. Then its on to The Walking Dead from Mantic Games. An absolutely awesome game, been playing it a lot. Super easy rules, fast gameplay and great miniatures.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 07:59:38 PM »
Mantic Games: The Walking Dead
I went in heavy on the Walking Dead kickstarter. Very good KS experience and the best one I've had with Mantic yet. The box is super cool, all the miniatures come in a vacuum form for easy storage. Size of the minis is on the big side 32mm all onecast models. They are great.

Game is simple, quick to learn and fast to play. I've been having a lot of games these last two weeks. I think Mantic will make big money on this one.

I don't like the flat cardboard tokens (good tokens, great quality) - I want 3d stuff.

So I've bought an RV from TTCombat, some cheap trees from China, tents from Renadra and this tank. It's a Academy Models (Korean company) tank M60A1. Cost me 16USD including shipping. Will be used as both terrain and for scenarios (Woodbury, Prison, The Governor).

It was a you to put this kit together. I suddently missed model planes and stuff like that. Simpler, cheaper kits with a decent size.

A bit on the small side, but it'll work well. For regular 28mm (non-heroics) it would have been perfect.

And I've found this cool Prisma app. Lets me turn my photos into something right out of the comics.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2016, 08:44:18 PM »
Main Force Patrol Intercepter - Devils Run
I really want to start painting my Walking Dead miniatures (and have them all done by march). And since I've started on a "finish off a game" I have to complete all my remaining Devils Run. The is motivating for my painting effort. So here's a WIP of a new car for The Law in Devils Run.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
Re: Bloodbeards Post-Apo Blog (Devils Run / The Walking Dead)
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 12:18:33 PM »
More!
Dipping day this month will be awesome. I'm three bikes, one trike and half a trukk from having finished my Devil's Run stuff. Need to make a few 3d counters as well. But I'm on schedual to having it all done by December 1st.

Skinners Karrgy (buggy).

Skinners Trukk (half done).

Stuff ready for dipping at the end of the month.

Offline Bloodbeard

• Librarian
  • Dad, Teacher, Hobbyist
    • Bloodbeard's Garage
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2016, 06:42:05 PM »
Finished Devil's Run collection
This weekend has been fantastic. I've had a lot of joyful hours with my youngest son. And then I've used moved to and from my hobby station put up on the dinner table.

FIrst up I've finished and dipped my reaming Devil's Run vehicles. I don't have anything more. So this makes a game collection "complete". Varnish will dry until tomorrow, then matt varnish it and add blood, oil etc.

These are what I've done in November. A nice output.

Devil's Run / 20mm gaming counters
I've decided to round off the Devils Run collection with 3d counters. And managed to do some good stuff today.

Wrecked vehicle marker
Made from a kitchen sponge. Four clouds from one sponge. Cut into shape with scissors. Super glued to a small metal disk for weight. Painted with thick acryllic black paint first. Quickly done, but it's a very effectful marker.

Debris
The roads in Devil's Run is covered with debris that you have to evade. We put d3+1 debris on each tile, so I've made 12. Also if rolls turn two debris into the same square we upgrade it to impassable terrain. Made 2 of these. This is a house rule by the way.

Made from screws, gears and cogs bought cheaply from Greenstuff World. Sprue cut into bits. Wheels from broken toy cars. A few resin miscasts (the bike body and the steering). And the impassable barricades is made from resin model excess resin and sprue.

As the tokens will get vehicles on them, I'll give them am extra heavy coat of army painter varnish.

Zombies!
There's zombies in Devil's Run. if you play with Environmental Cards there's a chance of zombies walking into the road. I've also made a scenario where the goal is to clear the road of as many zombies as possible. Running them over might hurt your car and the splat might make you loose control of your car.

The zombies are Caesar Miniatures 1:72 Modern Zombies. 48 (or 36) to the pack and costed me around 10$ incl. shipping. Only found these on Ebay. I've made 12 zombie tokens, with two on each base. Will be quick to paint.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2016, 07:09:39 AM »
Its all looking pretty awesome! But can you show a pic of the 1/72 zombies next to those bikers, please?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2016, 07:23:07 AM »
Awesome to see man! You were my main inspiration to back The Devil's Run (you should ask them for a bonus! :D) and I can't wait to get the game...especially when you keep showing off your awesome stuff.