Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 02:03:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689474
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Update: TMWWBK versus Black Powder for Zulu Wars (25/10)  (Read 6499 times)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Re: UPDATE Massive Zulu Battle using TMWWBK rules (19/10
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 10:54:49 AM »
Awesome stuff as always Eric.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #31 on: October 21, 2016, 05:26:09 PM »
Do you think you will persist with TMWWBK?
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #32 on: October 21, 2016, 10:07:37 PM »
Do you think you will persist with TMWWBK?

Don't know yet...we are going to use black powder again on Monday to do a comparison and I have acquired a copy of the sword and the flame

I am also tempted to do a mash up of tmwwbk and muskets and tomahawks..I love the simplicity of combat in both sets and I think the activation of M&T might work for this genre..

I am also working on a bespoke set of rules for rorkes drift...thinking a zonal style of game

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2016, 04:49:55 PM »
Don't know yet...we are going to use black powder again on Monday to do a comparison and I have acquired a copy of the sword and the flame
We played quite a few games of The Sword and The Flame ; quite fun but I think you will find resolving melee's in large battles rather tedious- you might want to come up with a simpler/more streamlined system.

Offline tim at frontline

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: October 23, 2016, 12:34:59 AM »
Played our first game of TMWWBK rules set in the Sudan and a great time was had by all. They are an easy set to pick up and have the big bonus of being able to be used solo. Like most rules we have tinkered a little, not becouse they need it more for personal taste. We will be trying out the following in the next game;
In combat with close order troops enemy uses all its available models not equal to close order numbe.r
A unit contacted in flank or rear are 1pt easier to hit.
A unit useing volly firing can only target units within their flank lines.
Only units in skirmish order can fire 360 degree.
All other firing is at 180 degree (except volly fire ).
Close order troops attacked in flank or rear lose their +1 combat mod.
+1 for each secure flank/rear to rally test roll.
- 1/2 pt for each casualy taken in the battle (round down) from rally test roll
-1 if casualties taken from flank or rear attack/firing.
And after reading it in the shed war blog, Generals add +1 to activation rolls within a given radius.

We will see how the next game goes and adjust to suit.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: October 23, 2016, 08:30:56 AM »
Played our first game of TMWWBK rules set in the Sudan and a great time was had by all. They are an easy set to pick up and have the big bonus of being able to be used solo. Like most rules we have tinkered a little, not becouse they need it more for personal taste. We will be trying out the following in the next game;
In combat with close order troops enemy uses all its available models not equal to close order numbe.r
A unit contacted in flank or rear are 1pt easier to hit.
A unit useing volly firing can only target units within their flank lines.
Only units in skirmish order can fire 360 degree.
All other firing is at 180 degree (except volly fire ).
Close order troops attacked in flank or rear lose their +1 combat mod.
+1 for each secure flank/rear to rally test roll.
- 1/2 pt for each casualy taken in the battle (round down) from rally test roll
-1 if casualties taken from flank or rear attack/firing.
And after reading it in the shed war blog, Generals add +1 to activation rolls within a given radius.

We will see how the next game goes and adjust to suit.

Interesting amendments - personally I would just let units attack is if pinned if caught in flanks or rear - ie only half can fight. Its easier to remember.

As far as our generals were concerned they added +1 to rally rolls if unit within 6 inches and once/turn they could make one unit automatically perform any permitted action (as if they were in charge)

Offline sjwalker51

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: October 23, 2016, 09:07:08 AM »
I'm with Eric; wherever possible use an existing mechanism rather than add a new one. Attacks on flank and rear means the unit fights with half dice, as if Pinned. And then the rule lawyers will want to discuss from where the attacker has to start its move in order to count as being on the flank or rear...

You risk over-complicating a very good rule set if you start adding too many modifiers like 'secure flanks and rear' or adding Skirmish order as a third formation. Having said that, there are tweaks worth considering, some generic and others period-specific for added period feel.

For larger games, we've also restricted Volley Fire to targets directly to the front of the firers.

Units testing to rally at 50% strength or less do so at a further -1 modifier, and units at 25% or less that fail any Rally test are automatically removed whatever the final score (not just 2 or less) - this removes all those irritating 2-3 figure units that refuse to go away and clutter up the table.

In our Zulu games so far we've ruled that British regular infantry and cavalry do not have to take a Pinning test in response to the destruction/removal of a friendly native unit.

We use Force Leaders (1 per 24 points) for larger games where we don't want to have individual unit leader traits. They have Move as a Free Action, usually as Cavalry of an appropriate type. They have their own Leadership value and trait as usual. They give a +1 modifier to Rally tests made by any unit within 6" unless their trait suggests otherwise (Hapless, Brutal, Shirker etc). They can also join a unit and assume command, using their Leadership instead of that of the unit (usually useful if the unit is Leaderless or led by a Hapless type). Traits only apply to the Leader himself and any unit he is attached to. An unattached Leader may not be fired on but may be Attacked, fighting with 2 dice. A Leader is never Pinned but leaving a Pinned Unit means a further -1 modifier when that unit next tests to Rally and it cannot count the effect of the Leader being within 6".

I think MWWBK gives us a great too-kit with which to construct our own set of 'perfect' colonial rules based on our own preconceptions, much as Dan himself says in the section on optional rules.

One final point; is it me, or is the layout of the rulebook really confusing? I find myself constantly flicking through trying to find the relevant section I need. It's got a lot better since I put together my own QR sheet, which I'm using with unit reference cards similar to those designed by Mr Shed.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #37 on: October 23, 2016, 01:45:29 PM »
Thank-you for the cards
Mick

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
Update: TMWWBK versus Black Powder for Zulu Wars (25/10)
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2016, 11:59:52 AM »
Hi Folks

I have written up a comparison between Black Powder and the TMWWBK's up on the blog...

http://shedwars.blogspot.co.uk/2016/10/zulu-wars-black-powder-versus-tmwwbk.html

thoughts welcome

Online Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Re: Update: TMWWBK versus Black Powder for Zulu Wars (25/10)
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2016, 04:22:28 PM »
Good and fair review. *thumbs up*

Offline tim at frontline

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2016, 11:38:54 PM »
Just read the replies from Eric and Sjwalker51, good points if my inital addition don't work I'll certanly give the suggestions a try. Flanks and rear are and were important to troops in action and I feel this needs to be added in some way.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: October 28, 2016, 08:57:21 AM »
This has been an interesting experiment and a great thread to read thanks.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline LCpl McDoom

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #42 on: October 28, 2016, 09:23:57 AM »
It's a really good assessment that will help me with my own thoughts and ideas on doing larger games. I may well keep MWWBK for the large skirmish stuff, and BP for the larger set-piece battles. That aside, some of the comments on this blog post and your previous one may also help in refining MWWBK further for some VSF/Gothic ideas I have. I do like the rules, as many have said, it's a really handy 'toolkit' to build on.

My commiserations on your loss too.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #43 on: October 28, 2016, 05:25:36 PM »
Very interesting and useful comparison thank you!

Commiserations on your loss!

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #44 on: October 28, 2016, 05:40:06 PM »
Another great review.  I like BP for a fun quick game but unless you add commanders, the Zulu do seem to grind to halt too easily.  The way our gaming group rolled in one engagement the Zulu never once made it into combat.

Sorry to hear of your loss.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;