Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 11, 2024, 03:24:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1692915
  • Total Topics: 118494
  • Online Today: 572
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Arkeo Obskura, new Horror game  (Read 12078 times)

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
Re: Arkeo Obskura, new Horror game
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 08:10:43 PM »
I've been looking for a ruleset for Modern Monster Hunting. 

I'm really interested in the solo play of this one.  Anyone have any experience with it?

Offline Governor General

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: December 12, 2016, 09:49:56 PM »
This is my take on Dr. Everett, Lich, one of the figs sculpted for the game. A treat to paint and quite fearsome!

Offline tomcat51

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: December 13, 2016, 10:56:21 AM »
I've been looking for a ruleset for Modern Monster Hunting. 

I'm really interested in the solo play of this one.  Anyone have any experience with it?
I haven't had the chance to play it yet, actual gaming time is few and far between for me, but it does seem like you could build anything with it. It reminded me of A Song of Blades and Heroes and Pulp Alley. FYI, Pulp Alley would also work as a modern monster hunting game, as would the horror version of SoBaH, Fear & Faith.

As for the solo play, it looks quite simple. The NPC's have a reaction table and respond to set actions with set responses. Not had the experience yet to see how robust this is. I'm also confused by the points system and how it relates to building characters.
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #18 on: December 13, 2016, 08:09:46 PM »
I haven't had the chance to play it yet, actual gaming time is few and far between for me, but it does seem like you could build anything with it. It reminded me of A Song of Blades and Heroes and Pulp Alley. FYI, Pulp Alley would also work as a modern monster hunting game, as would the horror version of SoBaH, Fear & Faith.

As for the solo play, it looks quite simple. The NPC's have a reaction table and respond to set actions with set responses. Not had the experience yet to see how robust this is. I'm also confused by the points system and how it relates to building characters.

Thanks!  I did ask for Fear & Faith for Christmas (my kids were complaining they never know what to get me).  I'll see how that holds up, but that Solo thing really appeals.  As most of my gaming time would be solo.  I may have to check into this further in the new year.  Much appreciated info!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #19 on: December 13, 2016, 09:53:27 PM »
Thanks!  I did ask for Fear & Faith for Christmas (my kids were complaining they never know what to get me). 

If you get it, you will find that very handy for playing horror games with your kids!
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #20 on: December 13, 2016, 10:34:30 PM »
If you get it, you will find that very handy for playing horror games with your kids!

What about Pulp Alley + Horror Deck? 
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #21 on: December 13, 2016, 10:57:35 PM »
What about Pulp Alley + Horror Deck? 

Haven't got the Horror Deck, only Standard + Perilous Island cards. I need to get the Solo Play Deck, at least, but I would also like to get the Horror Deck. Must prioritize, though, cannot happen until after Christmas, somewhen.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #22 on: December 13, 2016, 11:44:09 PM »
Haven't got the Horror Deck, only Standard + Perilous Island cards. I need to get the Solo Play Deck, at least, but I would also like to get the Horror Deck. Must prioritize, though, cannot happen until after Christmas, somewhen.

lol

Offline gruulgor

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2016, 04:49:26 PM »
I picked up a PDF copy of the rules, they seem simple enough, but the points system is confusing. It says in the Building Groups section that the game is designed for 500 point groups, but there does not appear to be any way of allocating a points cost to the creatures or characters other than shown in a few example groups. It is clear that the rules are designed, like Song of Blades and Heroes, in a way that allows you to build whatever you want, but there is no clear point system, or limit to the stats and characteristics you can apply. I may be thick, but so far I don't get it.  :?

Anyone else has this problem? I'm interested in getting the pdf copy, but, after reading this I don't know what to do.

Offline RAD

• Librarian
  • "If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't count"The Redeemer
« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2016, 05:23:05 PM »
What I would like to know is the name of the sculptor of the minis related to this game and if more minis are expected. They are beauties (so to say talking about zeds...)

Offline Banderium

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2016, 01:43:56 PM »
What I would like to know is the name of the sculptor of the minis related to this game and if more minis are expected. They are beauties (so to say talking about zeds...)

The sculptor name is Giorgio Bassani. He has a facebook page with his work, but that is all I know about him.

Offline psyberwyche

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2016, 03:02:47 PM »
The sculptor name is Giorgio Bassani. He has a facebook page with his work, but that is all I know about him.

Giorgio worked for Citadel for a while, and did some great work on the Vampire Counts range a few years back. I think he was subsequently one of the GF9 Dungeons & Dragons designers.

Gabbi

« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 03:52:07 PM »
I picked up a PDF copy of the rules, they seem simple enough, but the points system is confusing. It says in the Building Groups section that the game is designed for 500 point groups, but there does not appear to be any way of allocating a points cost to the creatures or characters other than shown in a few example groups. It is clear that the rules are designed, like Song of Blades and Heroes, in a way that allows you to build whatever you want, but there is no clear point system, or limit to the stats and characteristics you can apply. I may be thick, but so far I don't get it.  :?
Anyone else has this problem? I'm interested in getting the pdf copy, but, after reading this I don't know what to do.

I've just purchased the game. I'm waiting to print it out to properly read it (I don't enjoy reading on screen very much) but I've skimmed through the "Building Groups" section and it seems to me that there's no option to build profiles from scratch, but there is a quite long list of "variants" with associated point costs that allows for customization. The lists (two, actually, one for modern and one for "old town" settings) are one page long and look pretty exhaustive, so I'm confident I will be able to customize the given profiles (more than 15 per setting) to match my model collection.
All the above, considering I have NOT read yet the whole book - just had a quick look to the "Building Groups" section to check if I could find an answer to the forementioned question - so I could have missed something.

This said, I'm very hyped by this game. I tend to buy more rules than I have time to play, and most of the times it's difficult to justify yet another one, as most of them simply overlaps in so many aspects (setting, conflict size, etc) but this one is quite different: looks very focused on playing vs the system, a type of game I have previously experienced in boardgames only. But recently I've played a couple of Frostgrave's Dark Alkemy scenarios, and I have to say I've enjoyed them a lot. Playing cooperatively with a friend against the minions handled by the game mechanics has proven to be as fun as playing against him. This is a whole game created to be played this way, so I'm really looking forward to give it a try.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 03:54:07 PM by Gabbi »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #28 on: December 30, 2016, 11:57:44 AM »

I've just purchased the game. I'm waiting to print it out to properly read it (I don't enjoy reading on screen very much) but I've skimmed through the "Building Groups" section and it seems to me that there's no option to build profiles from scratch, but there is a quite long list of "variants" with associated point costs that allows for customization. The lists (two, actually, one for modern and one for "old town" settings) are one page long and look pretty exhaustive, so I'm confident I will be able to customize the given profiles (more than 15 per setting) to match my model collection.
All the above, considering I have NOT read yet the whole book - just had a quick look to the "Building Groups" section to check if I could find an answer to the forementioned question - so I could have missed something.

This said, I'm very hyped by this game. I tend to buy more rules than I have time to play, and most of the times it's difficult to justify yet another one, as most of them simply overlaps in so many aspects (setting, conflict size, etc) but this one is quite different: looks very focused on playing vs the system, a type of game I have previously experienced in boardgames only. But recently I've played a couple of Frostgrave's Dark Alkemy scenarios, and I have to say I've enjoyed them a lot. Playing cooperatively with a friend against the minions handled by the game mechanics has proven to be as fun as playing against him. This is a whole game created to be played this way, so I'm really looking forward to give it a try.

Gabbi, thank you very much for the info! That "Players vs. System" game mechanics seems to be a very nice idea to be considered!  ;)

I am looking for other miniatures of the line as well!  :)

Offline FRAPED

• Lurker
« Reply #29 on: December 30, 2016, 02:14:27 PM »
I picked up a PDF copy of the rules, they seem simple enough, but the points system is confusing. It says in the Building Groups section that the game is designed for 500 point groups, but there does not appear to be any way of allocating a points cost to the creatures or characters other than shown in a few example groups. It is clear that the rules are designed, like Song of Blades and Heroes, in a way that allows you to build whatever you want, but there is no clear point system, or limit to the stats and characteristics you can apply. I may be thick, but so far I don't get it.  :?

I don' agree. There isn’t confusion. You can build up a squad of heroes choosing between different typology (adding, eventually some gadget) until you reach 500 points. There is not a player that will do the bad guys…The scenario suggest a selection of Bad guys of 400 points but you can adapt the list with other of your collection. The bad guy are moved by a mechanism of reaction that will tell you in which way they will react compared with the action of the heroes. Eventually a master can move the bad guys but only for add some detail at the story.

For that reason  the bad guys cannot improve between the various scenarios.

The Idea is that this game is not competitive but a sort of RPG with clues and investigation simulated with token... You can play it as a solitary game or with your friends but always against the plot...

I have played the second scenario some times and was ever very funny... The clues  made each game different compared with the previous one. Actually I have just downloaded the new scenario with Special forces and I will play it during this Holiday... I will tell you my sensation after.