Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:25:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Arkeo Obskura, new Horror game  (Read 11925 times)

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
Re: Arkeo Obskura, new Horror game
« Reply #30 on: December 30, 2016, 06:55:02 PM »
It sounds a bit like Strange Aeons. I bought the rules from Brigade during Lon's birthday sale, so I guess I will find out soon enough!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2017, 06:43:51 AM »
Well, it's really nothing like Strange Aeons.

At first glance, I believe the game is written primarily for cooperative/solo play against the game. I will try to digest it further and maybe write up a proper overview.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2017, 07:18:04 AM »
Well, it's really nothing like Strange Aeons.

At first glance, I believe the game is written primarily for cooperative/solo play against the game. I will try to digest it further and maybe write up a proper overview.

Ah you may have just sold these to me.  Always on the look out for solo playable games!

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2017, 07:21:45 AM »
Hmm, might want to hang back on that purchase until you get more details. Not sure if it is just how the rules are written/organized/translated - or maybe I just haven't really grokked it yet - but my initial impression is these rules might be a tad clunky.

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2017, 11:40:12 AM »
Pdf is 40% off here if you get in quick:

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=443029648
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Manchu

• Mad Scientist
    • Life on Jasoom?
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 05:35:48 PM »
I spent a few more days with the rules and decided they just aren't what I am looking for right now so I won't be writing up a proper overview.

The quick and dirty is, this game appears mostly intended to be run by a referee or played solo with "programmed" bad guy moves. The good guy player picks a fig to activate and then must specifically declare what that fig wants to do, including stuff like end facing. The ref then gets to declare what any reacting bad guys intend to do. Then the good guy player can declare counter-reactions with other good guy figs. Once no other figs can or choose to react/counter-react, the players roll for initiative for each fig and then they perform the declared actions in that order. Then the good guy player moves onto his next fig, and so on. Any bad guy figs that didn't react in that phase can act in a later phase.

Offline Harwood Hobbies

• Scientist
    • Harwood Hobbies
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2017, 09:32:41 PM »
Manchu wrote up a good summary of the combat.  Seems like it would be good for solo play mainly.  The good guys seem to be the focus, as well as narrative, and the referee if just there to provide a good game for the good guys.

There are points for the forces listed on the right side of the tables provided.  There is NO way to create your own characters, all are pre-made.

No magic system is present in the rules.

Offline aro

• Schoolboy
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2020, 10:20:18 PM »
Hello
I have the game and after a while I will try to play it. Excuse my English is very low, I write with a translator. It is not easy to find a community of players for this game and I have some doubts, surely due to my difficulty in reading and understanding the language. Maybe they can help me. I hope I can explain myself properly

Are there two opportunities to rally? Before the actions and with the action "move and rally"?

In one section it states: "If a model is shaken before it can perform any declared Action then that Action can be changed into Move & Rally". But when describing "Shaken" it indicates that actions of carefully movement or fast movement can be made. Can or cannot they be done?

A hero can move and engage an enemy with a move action, but not fight with it. The bad guy if he can attack when he gets engage with a move action, is that so?

Do fatigue markers only affect melee and swimming?

Can I throw a grenade at an enemy behind a wall or window without having seen it in the game or carrying out a discovery test? Is it attacked by intuition?

Thank you very much in advance
Greetings

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2020, 11:44:13 PM »
Sadly Arkeo Obskura is pretty much the worst written rulebook ever to get printed, I get the impression it was really rushed or only playtested by people who knew the original Survival Heroes rules as there is so much confusing.  The rules are made much more complicated and difficult to read than they need to be. The mechanisms are actually very simple and it is a great co-op game.

These are my suggestions on your questions.

Are there two opportunities to rally? Before the actions and with the action "move and rally"?
Yes. Rally phase before any activations and as a specific type of activation. You can try and rally the same model in both phases.

In one section it states: "If a model is shaken before it can perform any declared Action then that Action can be changed into Move & Rally". But when describing "Shaken" it indicates that actions of carefully movement or fast movement can be made. Can or cannot they be done?
If a model is shaken before it can be activated but after it has declared then its declared Action can be changed into Move & Rally (not must be changed to Move and Rally). If it does not want to try and Rally then it's only other allowed activations are move carefully or move fast, both back towards its own base area or nearest cover.

A hero can move and engage an enemy with a move action, but not fight with it. The bad guy if he can attack when he gets engage with a move action, is that so?
Engage is used to describe holding the opponent ready to fight without actually coming to blows.
If the action is move & fight the hero moves and actually fights the enemy. If the action is move fast the hero moves into contact with the enemy but does not fight, just engages. (It is very complicated if you declare to move more than one character into combat with the same enemy).
The same applies to the bad guy reaction. If close enough (within 6") he will move & fight otherwise he will move fast and engage.

Do fatigue markers only affect melee and swimming?
Only Melee I think.

Can I throw a grenade at an enemy behind a wall or window without having seen it in the game or carrying out a discovery test? Is it attacked by intuition?
You must pass a spotting roll to target the hidden model. If you hit him he can demand a "re-roll" on any damage because he was hidden (Can re-roll not Must re-roll).

Offline aro

• Schoolboy
« Reply #39 on: April 27, 2020, 11:33:56 AM »
Thank you for your answers. I see in your profile that you are from Spain, like me (hahahahahaha!), so I write you a private