Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:22:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691074
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 804
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What about Gnomes?  (Read 6242 times)

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
Re: What about Gnomes?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2016, 06:26:39 PM »
So Gnomes all in varying heights and all different noses :D
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2016, 06:59:57 PM »
So Gnomes all in varying heights and all different noses :D

Perhaps that can be the overall Gnomish trait.....no two alike  lol

Offline LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2016, 07:12:34 PM »
Perhaps that can be the overall Gnomish trait.....no two alike  lol

Like trees - You can see they look the same but yet so different!

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2016, 09:55:25 PM »
When I first saw the thin nose I thought nah, gotta be fat noses. But now you have sketched them both, I think the thin nose works better. Just to confuse things.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #34 on: October 04, 2016, 08:11:14 AM »
I think we can agree that the nose needs to be somewhat big, and the ears somewhat large and slightly pointy. I am personally more with the pointy crowd since round nose, beard and short statue really points towards the primary dwarf features.

As for the height variety - this is posing a couple of challenges: 1. consistency - it will be hard to recognize them as a species, at least from more than 20 " away. 2. Dollies - maybe just an upper body and some slightly different legs? Either way, it would deflate the sculpting expenses remarkably. 3. It's too much of a classic earth spirit vs. playable RPG race thing.

I think it's time to ask Mike to start a test mini based on the feedback. :--)
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline Nord

• Mad Scientist
    • Nord's Painting Saga
« Reply #35 on: October 04, 2016, 08:24:39 AM »
Classic design by committee issues. Personally I didnt agree with the height variation thing, so that would be a non-issue in my eyes. At such a small scale, all the figures are going to be roughly kobold height anyway.

Offline Jet Simian

• Bookworm
« Reply #36 on: October 04, 2016, 08:43:53 AM »
'My' Gnomes, after years of pacing about the room trying to find a happy medium between all the versions I've seen in fiction and RPGs, have become those of 'B.B.' in the books 'The Little Grey Men' and 'Down the Bright Stream.' They're essentially the woodland kind others describe above, and in my RPG settings take the place of Druids or Rangers (of a kind). Industroius, creative, and friends and protectors of animals. No prankster inventors for me! :)

For appearances I've always seen them as variations on three fundamental elements: handsome beards, large noses and ears, and a pointed hat/helmet/cap/hair - an essential silhouette.

I am a bit of a fan, you see: http://jetsimian.blogspot.co.nz/search?q=gnomes

Your sketches are bang on the money and utterly charming, Cubs. I can't wait to see the result!   

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #37 on: October 04, 2016, 09:45:57 AM »

Your sketches are bang on the money and utterly charming, Cubs. I can't wait to see the result!   

I'll usually take attention like a hungry whore, but they're not mine!
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline MattW

• Librarian
« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:50 AM »
Classic design by committee issues. Personally I didnt agree with the height variation thing, so that would be a non-issue in my eyes. At such a small scale, all the figures are going to be roughly kobold height anyway.
Agree with this. These little fellas will only be a couple of mm high, so they need to look as distinct as possible. Maybe characters could be a little taller, but they need to have a very clear visual style.

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 11:33:06 AM »
I rather like the pointy noses & ears: gives them a slight reminiscence of the kobolds, hinting at some sort of distant kinship. But the bulbous noses are also good. Maybe a mixture of the two, as has been suggested?

The facial hair (and eyebrows) is looking great...

Another vote for a range of sizes and shapes, too. But certainly much slighter than dwarves, and with spindlier limbs than hobbits. And nice long Rackhamish fingers...

I'd have to agree, I like the original sketches more, though I wouldn't be against some variation in features that are more smooth like the latest sketches, as ultimately with any species you have different looks.

As for pointy hats that are like some crazy wizard hat, i'm not a major fan; if you're small I doubt you'd want something giving you away, and tunnel fighting would be an issue. Maybe if there are civilianesque Gnomes they can have excessively large hats, like a sign of status, but I wouldn't have it for a fighting Gnome.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 10:12:06 PM »
'My' Gnomes, after years of pacing about the room trying to find a happy medium between all the versions I've seen in fiction and RPGs, have become those of 'B.B.' in the books 'The Little Grey Men' and 'Down the Bright Stream.' They're essentially the woodland kind others describe above, and in my RPG settings take the place of Druids or Rangers (of a kind). Industroius, creative, and friends and protectors of animals. No prankster inventors for me! :)

For appearances I've always seen them as variations on three fundamental elements: handsome beards, large noses and ears, and a pointed hat/helmet/cap/hair - an essential silhouette.

I am a bit of a fan, you see: http://jetsimian.blogspot.co.nz/search?q=gnomes

This is pure gold. Some sensible thoughts in there. Thanks for sharing, :)

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 11:13:30 PM »
I'm fond of the idea that Gnomes are cousins to Dwarfs, but more inclined to live in the hills and/or forested areas and be more focussed on the "treasures" of nature. Gems over gold, etc.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #42 on: October 05, 2016, 07:04:52 AM »
I have always seen gnomes as a forest dwelling relative of the dwarves. Slightly smaller & thinner, but still bearded. More likely to use magic, but still using mechanized weapons like the dwarves. As other forest fighters like elves not as heavely armed or armored as dwarves.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +109

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 11:50:49 AM »
I have always seen gnomes as a forest dwelling relative of the dwarves. Slightly smaller & thinner, but still bearded. More likely to use magic, but still using mechanized weapons like the dwarves. As other forest fighters like elves not as heavely armed or armored as dwarves.

Agree totally.
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Brummie

• Mastermind
  • Incoming!
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2016, 12:20:56 PM »
I'm fond of the idea that Gnomes are cousins to Dwarfs, but more inclined to live in the hills and/or forested areas and be more focussed on the "treasures" of nature. Gems over gold, etc.

Same!