Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 09:28:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Done some more sculpting  (Read 2012 times)

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Done some more sculpting
« on: October 02, 2016, 09:02:30 AM »
The sculpting bug is back in me which I'm more than happy about. I finished a quick sculpt the other night. A baseball bat armed thug with a balaclava on. I'm pretty happy with how he turned out. I have four more planned with a variety of different close combat brawling weapons. Maybe another bat, a tyre iron, possible a chain if I can sculpt one easily.
Pretty standard pose on this guy. Next in line is a female (which you can see started in the background basically).

I bought some armatures from Greenstuffworld which has really enthused me about sculpting as the armature part of it is the bit that really frustrates me.
Comments and feedback appreciated.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Done some more sculpting
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2016, 05:46:34 PM »
Hey well done, it's not easy
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 09:46:36 AM »
Hi beefcake

I just came across this but better late than never!

im guessing its greenstuff? greenstuff is hard to use on its own.

You've got the start of somthing there.

Have you tried making your own armatures?

Alan

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 06:47:04 PM »
Yes, but I hate doing it. I've been thinking about e experimenting with a mix of gs and milliput to see how good that is.

Offline Alan maguire

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 09:57:00 AM »
beefcake :

I know the feeling, i still dont like making armatures but needs must.

Greenstuff and milliput is not a bad mix, somthing you can play around with.

Magic sculpt is good stuff, got to leave it alone for half hour or so before using it as it makes it nicer and easier to use.

Alan

Offline industrialtrousers

• Student
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2017, 06:24:20 AM »
I sculpt in 10mm for Warmaster.

I've found Procreate to be great stuff. It's stiffer than green stuff and works better for less organic parts.

A green stuff/procreate mixture is very handy as I've often found green stuff too soft or sticky and I'm not patient enough to wait for it to cure a bit.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2017, 07:20:35 AM »
I sculpt in 10mm for Warmaster.

I've found Procreate to be great stuff. It's stiffer than green stuff and works better for less organic parts.

A green stuff/procreate mixture is very handy as I've often found green stuff too soft or sticky and I'm not patient enough to wait for it to cure a bit.

I used procreate in the past but the cost made me go to GS. I too am not patient enough for it to cure a little. I've switched to half and hlaf GS and Milliput which I am having nice results with.
I must get back to finishing these guys (the girl turned out rubbish so I stopped as I lost interest)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2017, 02:25:48 PM »
From my experience, ProCreate is about the same price than greenstuff, actually slightly cheaper. Note that ProCreate is sold under different labels (e.g. Gale Force 9 grey stuff is procreate).

The two are not so dissimilar. ProCreate has a bit less memory and feels a bit stiffer but the difference is really subtle. If I have to sculpt anything vaguely detailed, I include some Fimo in the mix. It changes the consistency of the putty quite a bit and it took me a while to get used to it. It also increases curing time, which is something you might not like. Though, if you're in a hurry you can always accelerate the curing by putting the sculpt in the oven at 50°C, putting it under hot water or using a lamp.

Below, some other tips that allowed me to improve on my sculpting.

I use vaseline to get smooth surfaces (just a very tiny bit), it works far better than water (or saliva). I also wash the sculpt regularly with warm water or soap between steps. If you use silicon shapers, there's no need for any lubricant.

Don't compromise on the armature. I build my own by soldering fine wires (between 0.5 -1.00mm and 0.2mm for hands). It is time consuming and a bit tedious but a good armature really helps improving the final result.

Finally, probably the most critical factor for me is a good source of light and a magnifying visor, as I otherwise just can't properly see what I'm doing.

Online beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2017, 09:03:04 PM »
Maybe where I previously bought it from had different prices. Just looked at gs world and the difference is small.
I also use Vaseline for lubrication.