Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 12:42:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Do any dippers prefer Quickshade Soft Tone (lightest)?  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Philhelm

• Scientist
Do any dippers prefer Quickshade Soft Tone (lightest)?
« on: October 03, 2016, 02:36:33 AM »
I have been experimenting with Quickshade, using the brush-on technique.  Of course, the darker shades significantly darken the miniature, even when using lighter colors.  To my understanding, the medium tone is the most popular, but does anyone prefer the soft tone?  I've looked for pics, but the ones I see are mostly professional, and I'd like to see some examples from "normal people" if possible.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Do any dippers prefer Quickshade Soft Tone (lightest)?
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:06:59 AM »
I'm toying with the idea of getting all three shades and brushing on different shades to different areas depending on the darkness of the base colours, but this may be too time consuming and defeat the object of quickshade?

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 11:17:01 AM »
Be interested in peoples ideas on this myself, I have never used dip before but very tempted to start.

Offline Parrot

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 10:29:04 PM »
Ive never used the dip, but I use the soft tone ink in a small bottle all the time, I don't know the difference between the ink and dip, but I am very happy with the ink, for my skill level it looks good to me.  Maybe I will give the dip a shot if I can find it in a store.

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 10:49:34 PM »
The dip behaves quite differently to ink, it's much better (in a way) but much harder to control, hence using it all over - I went through a phase of trying to recreate dip in other colours to speed up the painting of colourful miniatures (like vacsuit spacemen) but could never get a good formula.

I highlight first then apply a dip (with some blacklining left between colours - both these groups were painted in that style:

Not mind blowing by any means, and for me at least, not that much quicker that I wouldn't get a better result simply painting in my usual way.

Back to the OP - I tried the palest one and found it too pale/orange - it didn't give the contrast I wanted. That said, I'm convinced that there's a perfect group of colours for all 3 dips, that would give a great result. Not sure what those colours would be for the soft tone, maybe yellow?