Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:38:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Swamp movement tray advice  (Read 1022 times)

Offline Tristram Evans

• Student
Swamp movement tray advice
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
Hello everyone, this is my first post on the forum. After a hiatus of around 20 years, a friend got me back into wargames/miniatures about 3 years back when our roleplaying group went through a lull due to conflicting schedules. I rediscovered a love of my youth, namely those foul Ratmen The Skaven. However, though many of the new plastic sculpts are quite nice, I almost immediately began to long for the Jes Goodwin metal ratmen that I grew up with, and 3 years later and an unknown fortune spent on ebay, I've now acquired the army I longed for as a child, a vast Chaos ratmen horde composed almost entirely of the wonderful Jes Goodwin sculpts. In the meantime I've brushed up on my painting skills, not to the standard I'd start displaying my stuff on CMoN, but to the point I'm quite happy with at least.

Anyways, to get to the point, I've decided to go with round bases (mainly for aesthetic reasons) combined with some movement trays of this type:

And I'd like to do the trays in differing themes depending on the unit. I've started with Plague Monks, and I had the idea the other night that it would be really cool to have them standing on rocks sitting in a swamp or bog. I'm just not certain how to go about that. I've thought about building up the edges, and I have an as yet unused bottle of "StillWater" I got at a saleat a hobby shop, but everytime I try to plan it out in my head, I can't picture how to go about it in a way that the individual bases are still removeable (though I do play Kings of War, its not my only game, and while it might be an easier solution to use a traditional movement tray with raised sides and permanently fixing the troops atop rocks submerged in "swampified" water I'm trying to come up with a way to avoid that).

So, I thought I might ask the much more experienced heads of this forum. Any thoughts? Suggestions? Links?

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
Re: Swamp movement tray advice
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 11:04:47 AM »
You could try putting card 'collars' inside the sabot slots as well as outside the whole movement tray slightly taller than the tray to allow you to texture the tray. Then once dry remove the card and tidy up the edges?