Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 01:05:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Swordpoint...  (Read 21829 times)

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Swordpoint...
« on: October 09, 2016, 08:43:51 AM »
I've just read the article in this month's WI about these new rules, all looks jolly interesting, I'd be interested in gleaning the Brethren's views?

???
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
Re: Swordpoint...
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2016, 01:52:49 PM »
I haven't received WI 348 yet. I am intrigued by what I have heard about Swordpoint to date, and so I would also be very interested in learning more about the rules.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:59:05 PM by A Lot of Gaul »
"Ventosa viri restabit." ~ Harry Field

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2016, 05:55:52 PM »
I also read the article.

Looks interesting!

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 07:59:31 AM »
What was the main thrust of the article, for those of us who don't get the mag?

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2016, 12:58:42 PM »

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 03:12:29 PM »
Although I haven't had a chance to read the WI preview article, what I have been able to glean from other sources indicates that combat in Swordpoint will not be based on the number of figures per unit, and that the rules will not be very similar to WAB.

As I mentioned above, I have been quite intrigued by what I have seen thus far. I would definitely like to learn more, if anyone who has read the article would care to elaborate.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 10:59:59 PM by A Lot of Gaul »

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2016, 03:54:06 AM »
Combat is based upon the number of bases in combat.  Not thenumber of figures on the base. The single figures on movement trays in the article is just using figures based for other systems and using the movement trays to conform the frontage. Infantry are based on 40x 40 bases for example, with 4 figures for close order 28mm deployment. No reason why you couldn't use 6 20mm  or 15mm figures to the base if that is what you are using. 

Jim

Offline mrtn

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2016, 09:57:17 AM »
There will be a "Let's play Swordpoint" article in the upcoming issue of Wargames Soldiers & Strategy (#87 November).

Offline Madhouse Workshop

• Bookworm
    • http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop.blogspot.com/
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 06:21:49 PM »
I do like the old single model 20mm warhammer like basing as it allows me to play just about every system I'm interested in. So 40x40 infantry is no big deal to me, just may need make some more movement trays, which even at 40x40 basing I would still use movement trays for larger formations.

Very much looking forward to seeing more on this game.....

Offline jcspqr

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 07:07:54 PM »
I do like the old single model 20mm warhammer like basing as it allows me to play just about every system I'm interested in. So 40x40 infantry is no big deal to me, just may need make some more movement trays, which even at 40x40 basing I would still use movement trays for larger formations.

Correct.  I think they concerns I have seen about basing is much ado about nothing.  You could easily play Swordpoint with your single based WAB-esque armies and just use movement trays for your units, which you probably already did.

Jim

Offline Draccan

• Student
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 10:12:59 PM »

I must admit. I love Saga and have a couple of hundreds of different viking models including a lot of plastic too. And luckily I used 20mm bases for other reasons and not the standard 25mm Saga bases, but I am baffled they create a new wargame using 20mm bases when the already have a hugely popular wargame using 25mm.

Saga has very suitable models for Swordpoint and even though Swordpoint could be played with larger bases with some rule amendments, I am just deeply baffled they went that route... I guess they reason more historic wargamers have 28mm models on 20mm size bases, but it is odd when their loyal customers for the most part have based their Saga models on 25.

I just don't understand that move...

Offline A Lot of Gaul

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 11:59:03 PM »
Having a 20mm frontage for close-order 28mm figures is one of the two "standard" basing schemes for mass battle Ancients rules (the other being to have an even narrower frontage of 15mm per figure). So with the suggested basing system of four close-order infantry figures per 40mm x 40mm base, the author of Swordpoint is wisely making the rules compatible with the many, many tabletop armies already based for other mass battle Ancients rulesets such as Warhammer Ancient Battles, Hail Caesar, Crusader, War & Conquest, Clash of Empires, etc., etc. And while mounting figures on 25mm round bases is perfectly appropriate for a "low figure count" skirmish-level game like SAGA, it is simply too dispersed for close-order infantry in a mass battle game.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:05:23 AM by A Lot of Gaul »

Offline Draccan

• Student
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2016, 12:05:10 AM »
It is just so much easier to extend 20mm bases or multi 40mm bases to a larger size than it is to make large bases smaller...

If the measurements for the game had been four models on a 50mm tray or 25mm base for one model, it would be easy to just make a 50mm tray for your models or get base ring extensions.

Now you will have the ackward situation with all the Gripping Beast customers who feel left out..
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 12:18:31 AM by Draccan »

Offline Gracchus Armisurplus

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2016, 12:06:42 AM »
Having a 20mm frontage for close-order 28mm figures is one of the two "standard" basing schemes for mass battle Ancients rules (the other being to have an even narrower 15mm frontage per figure). So with the suggested basing system of four close-order infantry figures per 40mm x 40mm base, the author of Swordpoint is wisely making the rules compatible with the many, many tabletop armies already based for other mass battle Ancients rulesets such as Warhammer Ancient Battles, Hail Caesar, Crusader, War & Conquest, Clash of Empires, etc., etc. And while mounting figures on 25mm round bases is perfectly appropriate for a "low figure count" skirmish-level game like SAGA, it is simply too dispersed for close-order infantry in a mass battle game.

This is all very true. I can't speak for others, however, but I am disappointed. I had hoped to be able to easily transpose my now quite large SAGA collections over to Swordpoint with a minimum of fuss, but now having an oddly based force sort of kills my enthusiasm.

Oh well, Kings of War historical is looking pretty good still :)

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2016, 09:49:11 AM »

Very much looking forward to seeing more on this game.....

I equally like the WRG 'standard' 60mm wide bases (with 2,3 or 4 figures on them).
You can use these to play any system, including WAB; I've done so often.
When it comes down to it, basing is much less important than some people make out.
You can play most systems with the basing you have, with a bit of thought.
Saga works fine with multi-based figures, for instance.