Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 03:04:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690462
  • Total Topics: 118332
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Tabletop Battle Photos - Any Tips?  (Read 1585 times)

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
Tabletop Battle Photos - Any Tips?
« on: October 12, 2016, 10:48:11 AM »
Hi folks,

One thing that frustrates me about wargaming is my continued inability to take decent in-game photos for my batreps (or AARs or whatever you want to call them).

Bearing in mind that I'm limited to a basic digital camera, or my iPhone, does anyone have any hints or tips to taking great photos of the action?

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Tabletop Battle Photos - Any Tips?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 12:10:39 PM »
I think the most important element for good photos is light. You need a lot of light to get good photos. So either very good lamps (preferably the ones where you can direct the angle of light) or an external flash. I use a DSLR with an external flash (a rather cheap one) and that works very well. It allows me to take shots like these without any hassle during gameplay:

My phone also takes quite nice photos, but when using a phone, having a lot of light becomes even more important. You really need good lamps, because you don't want to rely on the flash of your phone.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 01:07:37 PM »
A very good point, and one I'll have to investigate as light (or the lack of) is quite an issue in my games, sorry, dining room.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 01:24:02 PM »
I find an angle-poise lamp gives lots of light (over a small area), put a stocking over it to diffuse the light (unless you want harsh shadows). I also think that a low angle (down level with the figures, or looking up at the buildings) helps to make it seem real.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2016, 01:54:45 PM »
I must admit I do tend to loom over the table and take shots from above - I find it hard to focus my camera when I'm in amongst it.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2016, 04:22:24 PM »
Biggest issue would be to make sure you're using the "macro" setting which helps the camera focus in a smaller area/tinier things.  Another key to "great" looking wargames photos is to set them up purposefully.  You're rarely going to get a fantastic setting in a normal game (with miniatures off angle, tokens, tape measures, etc.).  But if you snap a quick picture of an event and then go back and purposefully create the setting, and place everything perfectly for the picture you can end up with a better looking shot.

That's how they do battle reports in magazines most of the time. 
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2016, 05:54:52 PM »
Set the white balance properly, so that it reflects the type of light you are using. this becomes more important if you are relying on domestic internal lighting. Having the the wrong white balance will cause colour cast.

A good external source of lighting is LED. It is bright for the power needed.

If your camera has 'f' stops use f5.6 for distance shots and f2.8 for close-up (like macro), though be away if you have a wide f stop (i.e 2.8, it does let a lot of light in, but also results in a very shallow depth of field, so the subject you have in focus will be sharp, but figures further back will become increasing out of focus and blurry - going to f5.6 (or f8) reduces this effect.

Try and get a little side lighting in to create shadow and give definition to the battlefield. If a table is lit directly from above, it can 'blow out' some detail because it does not create a shadow. i have a particular problem with this with my Kallistra hills, which use exactly the same flock and texture as the rest of the table.

A lot of the time I look at my shots and the scene does not look as nice as It did with the naked eye. I suspect you are having the same issue, so don't worry about it too much.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2016, 07:04:53 PM »
Thanks guys for some great advice. I've never thought of re-staging photos before (although I guess the history of a photgraphy is littered with examples!)
I'll investigate setting white balance and f stop, but I think 'don't worry about it' is probably the best answer!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2016, 07:15:23 PM »
I wouldn't worry with the f-values, I'd go there if you have experience with manual settings on your camera. Yes, it gives you a lot more control on how much light your camera will catch and how much depth the photos will have, but it takes time to learn and do it fast. And nothing sucks more than pauzing a game for several minutes to get the right photo.
A macro-setting isn't really needed, unless you're doing photos from real close. Often it's better to take pictures from a distance and then crop later with software. Easy to do to.

Offline eilif

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Chicago Skirmish Wargames
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2016, 08:08:40 PM »
Not always possible, but simply having your light source not directly above the table can help alot.   It doesn't have to be anything direct or arranged, but just having a regular lamp off to the side of the table (behind where the photos are being taken from) can bring alot of clarity to the minis so that all the detail on the sides doesn't become lost in shadow.

The other thing I do all the time is (while in macro mode) simply set the camera on the table itself.  It gives you the stability and perspective that are sometimes hard to get otherwise.

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2016, 08:38:18 PM »
Cheers guys.
I must admit to cropping shots now and then, and often adjust the fill light settings with photo editing software.