Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 06:05:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Defense of Tanelorn (Elric vs. Gaynor)  (Read 1913 times)

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
The Defense of Tanelorn (Elric vs. Gaynor)
« on: October 10, 2016, 03:07:52 AM »
Few citizens were paying attention to him.  His reputation was known by some in these parts but strangers were a regular in Tanelorn.  The inhabitants were used to seeing the refuse of the multiverse among their ranks.

"Ha!" the White Wolf yelled suddenly, drawing all eyes on the walls and outside them to him, "this is it.  This is how we will stop Gaynor.  This is how we will save the city."

He fixed both hands firmly on the stone and started chanting. 

"Move the madman away," cried one of the general's bodyguards. 

No one would follow the command. 

"Then I'll do it myself," the man growled. 

Moonglum moved in between Elric and the guard.  His hands were already on his weapons.  The guard gripped his spear tighter and prepared for a fight.

Without breaking his rhythmic chanting Elric's hand flew to Stormbringer's hilt and pulled the massive black blade from its scabbard.  The weapon hung more than it was held in the air between the Melnibonean and the guard.  His grip on his spear became looser and he stepped back.

"Let it be then," he said, his voice only barely betraying the terror he felt, "the lunatic can do no real harm."

As the guard moved away the stone began to hum and then started to glow. 

Elric suddenly slumped and if Moonglum would have been a moment slower he would have fallen to the ground.

"It is done . . . you will only have to defeat Gaynor's mortal foes now,"  Elric said.

"But it has cost me."

Just then the attention of the assembled crowd was drawn to the vista between the wooded lands approaching the city.  A cloud of dust gathered.  Screams from the crowd went up and all but the warriors were moved quickly inside the city. 

Sredni Vashtar looked down from his Dracoth mount at the weakened Melnibonean leaning against the wall.  His eyes moved to the stone gateway and then back to Elric.  He noticed the glowing stone and saw liquid light starting to drip from the inside of the gateway.

"You know your business, sorcerer.  I sense the taint of Chaos upon you," said the Lord Celestant.

"If you feel the need, we can settle up after the battle," said Elric. 

Vashtar said not a word but turned his mount and charged with a yell to his assembled Stormcast Eternals to follow him to meet the enemy.

Prince Gaynor the Damned:

The East gate of Tanelorne:

Sredni Vashtar leads his forces out:

The Charge of the Chaos Knights:

Battle lines are drawn:

Elric and Moonglum enter the fray:

Chaos and Order take each others' measure:

the rest of the pictures:

http://imgur.com/a/uHmru

http://imgur.com/a/XBnry

http://imgur.com/a/FOxgb

http://imgur.com/a/OecfT

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: The Defense of Tanelorn (Elric vs. Gaynor)
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 06:22:58 AM »
 Great looking game and very nicely painted miniatures too.Good to see the Wargods miniatures taking part too.

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2016, 09:56:37 AM »
Wonderful stuff, did you use AOS? I plan a game for living lead using my old collection and now Elric is defiantly going to be in it. Inspired

Offline Pictors Studio

• Mastermind
    • Pictors Studio
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2016, 10:16:56 AM »
The Wargod Myceneans seemed like great defenders of Tanelorn.  And the Nekharu are perfect as Tzaangors.

We did use AOS for the game.  It is a pretty fun system and really lends itself to narrative gaming. 

Here are the stats I used for the Elric and Moonglum:

Elric Kinslayer Move 6"  Wounds 5  Save 3+  Bravery 9
Stormbringer  1" Range  3 attacks 3+ to hit  3+ to wound -1 Rend  1 Damage

So Stormbringer has special rules, first of all if he wounds someone but doesn't kill them with that wound then you roll a d6 at the end of the combat phase, on a 2+ they are slain, unless they are Seraphon.  Seraphon are unaffected for some reason. 

Like Olabs, I guess.

So it also gives him strength as he kills people.

number of models killed  friend slaying  attacks    to hit  to wound  rend
1-5                                      6                4            3+      3+          -1
6-10                                    5+             4             3+      2+         -1
11-15                                  4+             4              2+     2+         -2
16-20                                  4+             5              2+     2+         -2
20+                                     3+             5             2+      2+         -2

So obviously he gets tougher as he kills.  The Friend Slaying is if he misses a to hit roll and there is a friendly model in range he hits it on the die roll indicated. So if Elric and Moonglum are back to back against some Nadsokar beggars who are a little too aggressive in their pleas, and he has killed 3 of them already, then he would roll 4 dice to hit, hitting on 3+.  If any of those are misses then Moonglum would be hit on a 6. 

If he kills 3 more of them that round then the next round he would have 4 attacks, still hitting on 3+ but if he missed he would hit Moonglum on a 5+. 

And so on.

I also gave him a bind Daemon spell.  Basically you try to cast it and you succeed on a  4 and can bind d6 wounds worth of Daemons meaning they can't move or attack but can act in the hero phase.  If you roll an 8 you can bind 2d6 wounds worth and on a 12 you can bind 3d6 worth.

I don't have any real justification for that in the stories.  He is also a sorcerer and can summon daemons and cast the two generic spells in the game.

Moonglum

Move 6"  Wounds 5   Save 5+  Bravery 8
Two swords     1" range  4 attacks  3+ to hit   4+ to wound - rend and 1 damage

Shield of Fear:  Enemies would rather attack Elric than Moonglum so if they are in range of Elric then they cannot choose Moonglum as a target. 

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2016, 01:25:22 PM »
Good stuff - the uber heroic stuff doesn't put me off in this setting. Thanks for sharing.
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline shadowking1957

• Mastermind
    • Shadowkings
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2016, 08:07:35 PM »
Thank you wonderful stuff.................

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 02:05:44 PM »
Great looking stuff!