Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 12:40:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: laptop painting station help  (Read 2317 times)

Offline Marshal Neigh

• Student
laptop painting station help
« on: October 10, 2016, 02:28:30 PM »
HI all,

does anyone have any experience of a commercially available laptop based painting station so I can sit and paint on the sofa rather than paint the sofa!

thanks

Offline Marshal Neigh

• Student
Re: laptop painting station help
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2016, 04:06:33 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion Humakt. I do have one of those but the trouble is the paint bottles tend to slide all over it and it is not quite the right height. I've tried fiddling with it to no avail.

Maybe I dreamt it but I thought there might be a plastic tray type moulded to fit over the legs and with paint botteolholders built it.

I guess if not I will have a go at some diy!

thanks

Offline zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2016, 04:16:11 PM »
I was trying to find one of the ones with a bean bag underneath and a table on top, but I'm not sure of their correct description.

Laptop table, as mentioned, brings up loads, some of which are height adjustable amazon link

You'll probably need a paintstation on top to stop things moving about. Either that or some anti slip matting - another amazon link

edit - found the beanbag table
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 04:17:59 PM by zemjw »

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2016, 04:18:20 PM »
In Oz, the bean bag type is known as a stable table. You might need to attach the WLG paint pot stand to a stable table.
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2016, 06:07:57 PM »
The best couch painting station I came up with was a rolling laptop cart. It supported on one end and I could roll it right up to me. I picked up a cheap wooden box at Michaels to beep all my supplies under control, and I could roll it into a corner when I wasn't using it.

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2016, 09:11:47 PM »
I use the Hobbyzone station.  Not on my lap, but it's convenient as I don't have a permanent painting area.  Not actually sure I would ever want to sit on a sofa and paint though.  Good posture and all that.   ::)

Anyway, here's a link to someone's review.  LINK

I bought mine - the small one - on Amazon

Offline Marshal Neigh

• Student
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2016, 09:03:56 AM »
thanks for all the excellent suggestions 

Offline Jagannath

• Mastermind
    • Blades and Blasters
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2016, 09:48:19 AM »
I use an adjustable laptop stand at work to bring my screen up (with a seperate keyboard and mouse) and the only observation I'd have is that they're not very stable - fine for plonking the laptop on and not touching it again, but I'm not sure I'd want to try and paint using one. Those meal trays are much more stable I think.

Offline Marshal Neigh

• Student
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2016, 01:06:23 PM »
I've used one of those trays with a cushion underneath for laptop gaming, was thinking get one of those then attach a painting type station to it .....

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2016, 02:10:50 PM »
I use an adjustable laptop stand at work to bring my screen up (with a seperate keyboard and mouse) and the only observation I'd have is that they're not very stable - fine for plonking the laptop on and not touching it again, but I'm not sure I'd want to try and paint using one. Those meal trays are much more stable I think.

Mine was stable. I used one of these: http://www.officedepot.com/mb/a/products/366999/Brenton-Studio-Zarty-Split-Top-Mobile/fromLocalBrowse=false and added a couple small mending plates to lock the tilting section level. I worked from the "side" of the table, with supplies further back.

It worked out ok, but painting at the couch didn't work well for me. It was just too uncomfortable. It was much better than the tray table I tried for a while; I was always afraid I'd knock that off the couch.