Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:14:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691081
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Shops do they still exist?  (Read 7228 times)

Offline cernem1alt

• Student
  • life of man solitary poor nasty brutish & short
    • 1685 and all that!
Wargames Shops do they still exist?
« on: October 13, 2016, 02:46:15 PM »
Are there any Wargames shops stll in existance? the kind of place that had boxes of used figures piled all over the place and generally in a muddle but a delight for a good rumage lol

Offline manic _miner

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Four A miniatures
Re: Wargames Shops do they still exist?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2016, 03:23:38 PM »
 There are still some but a declining thing these days i think.

Grahams Workshop in Pelaw is a treasure trove of old miniatures.

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2016, 03:36:45 PM »
I'd assume those that are still around are just full of GW, Malifaux and Star Wars X-Wing stuff.  ;)

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2016, 03:39:42 PM »
There's one in Rochester, Kent. Had a good selection of stuff to tempt you last time I visited, albeit a while ago... Not the rummage variety, but still a
http://www.rochestergamesmodelsandrailway.co.uk/
I hope it's still there...
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 04:48:36 PM »
Firestorm Games in Cardiff does host occasional Bring and Buy days (there's one this Saturday I think).
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 05:34:26 PM »
A place in Bristol called Bristol Independent Wargaming - keep meaning to get over there. Doesn't seem to advertise much but from what I've been told a decent prospect. Mind you, last two places I can recall in Bristol went south in fairly short order...

Offline 3 fingers

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 06:14:12 PM »
Pegasus in monmouth ,great guy running it,no secondhand stock though I think there's a notice board inside,
http://www.pegasushobbiesandgames.com

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2016, 06:49:17 AM »
There is a new place in Souhport (UK) that has been open a year (Wargames) and a place on the Wirral (UK) that has been around for quite a few years (Wargames Store in Brimstage). Both sell the major plastics and paint etc plus some boardgames, but neither do say 15's or 6mm or sell mainstream terrain items like hills and trees, which is interesting in itself

Considering the state of the retail sector and the expectation that everything is always closing down - these seem to be quite strong and the fact that a new place has opened in the last 12 months tells its own story.

Then again, I go to both places and spend money ..... that is the only way to keep a store alive.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2016, 06:51:56 AM by Normsmith »

Offline Sunjester

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2016, 08:47:15 AM »
Speaking as a former shop owner (from a decade ago), one of the main the problems faced by wargames shops is always what to stock! Wargamers are such a varied lot, with their own preferences for periods, scales and manufacturers, it's impossible to hold sufficient stock to satisfy everyone. You can't afford too much "dead" stock and have to have stuff that sells, which is why most shops have to stock the GW/X-Wing/Malifaux-type products. I think the advent in recent years of products like the Perry plastics, have made it easier for shops to carry historical products that should sell on a regular basis. But it's always going to be a tough choice and I take my hat of to anyone who can make a decent living out of a wargames shop.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2016, 10:57:37 AM »
But it's always going to be a tough choice and I take my hat of to anyone who can make a decent living out of a wargames shop.

It always struck me as a difficult gig - like you say, an enormous range of stock is required in order to catch a decent cross section of gaming wants, but each customer is only likely to make infrequent purchases and each item is relatively low priced. It really does seem much easier to run from a warehouse than a retail site. I guess Firestorm kind of covers both, being slightly outside the main shopping drag in a big ex-furniture warehouse.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2016, 11:13:58 AM »
Wargames Emporium in Sheffield has a great selection of stock, or it did last time I was through there (a couple of years ago now, admittedly).
Lots of new stuff, Malifaux, X-wing etc and collectable card games, but a stack of second hand stuff and some racks of Copplestone, Artizan and Ral Partha minis among others in blisters - I was quite surprised to see some more boutique minis on the shelves too.

I think they may have had a gaming space too, but don't hold me to that.

Great city centre location in a shopping centre, right next to Waterstones.

I hope they are still there.  :?

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 12:01:27 PM »
Incom Gaming in Cheltenham and the Worcester Wargames Store.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 04:29:58 PM »
In the United States, not really.  Haven't seen one in ages.  Now the hobby shops are 95% collectible card games and premium board games (Fantasy Flight etc.) with a small 40K/Warmahordes section and that's about it.  They're friendly to gaming but the closest you'll see to "wargaming" is Flames of War.  All of these shops will gladly order damn near anything yo want ---- but I haven't seen a historical/combat/wargames based store in a decade or more.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2016, 04:56:11 PM »
Dark Sphere in Waterloo is worth a vist

Offline rebelyell2006

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2016, 12:55:29 AM »
In the United States, not really.  Haven't seen one in ages.  Now the hobby shops are 95% collectible card games and premium board games (Fantasy Flight etc.) with a small 40K/Warmahordes section and that's about it.  They're friendly to gaming but the closest you'll see to "wargaming" is Flames of War.  All of these shops will gladly order damn near anything yo want ---- but I haven't seen a historical/combat/wargames based store in a decade or more.

There are some gaming stores like that in Albuquerque, stores that are dedicated to board games and card games and comic books and the latest fad game (like X-Wing).  Great Hall Games in Austin, Texas, is supposed to be fairly historic-heavy, but I never had a chance to check it out while I lived in Texas.  Scale Creep Miniatures outside of Chicago seems to be historic-heavy too, and I bought online some 6mm Franco-Prussian War minis for a project that stalled.