Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 11:45:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691073
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 823
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Shops do they still exist?  (Read 7225 times)

Offline Daeothar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • D1-Games: a DWAN Corporate initiative
    • 1999legacy.com
Re: Wargames Shops do they still exist?
« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2016, 01:32:23 PM »
Oddly enough, for one of the densest populated countries in the world, there are relatively few games stores here in the Netherlands. Granted; we are spoiled when it comes to travel, and anything over 1/2h is considered far away. But even with those standards, there are not many shops within reasonable distance, let alone nearby... ::)

My local shop, Bliek in Breda has re-opened a little over a year ago across the street from where they were originally located. It was first and foremost a model shop, with a strong emphasis on model trains. At its heyday, most of the trains had gone, being replaced by (mostly GW) miniature games. the rest was made up of RC stuff and plastic model kits (huge selection). I was much dismayed when it closed, as there was no alternative in the city. In fact, the nearest was one city away, in Tilburg.

But like I said; it has re-openend last year and it now is more of a mix between hobby- and toystore. the back is fully given over to trains and modelkits, there is a side room which is divided between a small selection of GW and RC cars. But I basically only go there for paints, glues, plasticard etc, plus the occasional plastic kit for conversions or bits. Oh; they also have the very cheap Svezda 1/100 tank kits, which makes my entry into the Battlefront Tanks! game all the more convenient... ;)

They also have a large section of Brio wooden trains, with a play table, so whenever I am in need of paints etc, I can take my little girl with me, and she can safely play there while I browse. The staff is very friendly (mostly ladies, because of the toys) and it has a real old school toy store feel to it. they even have a large model train driving around on rails hanging from the ceiling. It always reminds me of a (much) smaller version of the toy store in Home Alone 2... lol

For more serious hobby stores, I'll still have to skip town though. My favorite still is Subcultures in Utrecht. I used to drop by there back in the day when my (now) wife and I were still dating as she lived over there. It is a great little store, which caters to miniature gaming, role-playing, LARP, card games and board games. they do have a real ecclectic inventory, with something for everybody. I especially like the conversations with the staff, who are friendly and know their wares (all gamers, obviously) and the rummage box of miniatures on the counter. A box full of discarded minis, €1,- a piece. I got some fun models out of there. Also; clean, no smell and virtually no neckbeards.

Then there is this store in Maastricht, which I stop by every time I'm in town called Vlieg-er-uit. A little out of the way from the city center, and caters to a very odd range of hobbies, such as kiting, yoyoing, hackysack etc, as well as card games, board games and, of course, miniature games. their selection is limited to mostly GW, but the staff is friendly and I have fond memories of them, as they organized the first tournament I ever participated in (40K Doubles) back in 2005. And I actually won the overall painting contest prize , a GW paintbrush box, which I am still using today (just like the brushes).

I know there is a good one in Zwolle as well, called Gamesnstuff, but it's too out of the way for me. I hear it's good though.

Leiden used to have a store where I spent quite some of my time when I was still in uni, but apparently, it closed. There is one that looks ok, but I can't comment on it, as I've never been inside: De Tafelridder.

I've been at this one store in Hoorn once, when I was visiting family up north, and it was really nice. Again; friendly staff which did not scare off my family, and it caters to board-, card- and miniature gamers alike. Also; light and airy. It's called de Spellenhoorn.

Oh; and when I used to live in Antwerp (B), there was this store called the Lonely Mountain, just around the corner of my apartment. It had all the hallmarks of a classic game store; densely packed, smelly, dark and not overly friendly staff. Still; it was a virtual treasure trove. However, I understand it is long gone (I lived there in 1996 and 1997) though, but apparently it has been resurrected in some form. However; whenever I visit Antwerp these days, I can't seem to be able to locate any game store other than the badly air-conditioned GW...  :-X

I'm sure there are many I have missed, but those are the ones I'm (most) familiar with.

So yeah; when you're willing to travel between cities, there are plenty of stores, but most, out of necessity, cater to all matter of other hobbies and crowds...
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 01:35:05 PM by Daeothar »
Miniatures you say? Well I too, like to live dangerously...
Find a Way, or make one!

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
Totally agree with Daeothar's assessment on the Netherlands 8). Not that much gaming stores and some are iffy at best. But Subcultures is the best, by far.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline YPU

• Galactic Brain
  • In glorious 3D!
« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2016, 02:07:25 PM »
Totally agree with Daeothar's assessment on the Netherlands 8). Not that much gaming stores and some are iffy at best. But Subcultures is the best, by far.

Another confirmation from me. Back in the day s-Hertogenbosch used to have the Atomic, which long ago has become "de dobbelsteen" That used to be my old haunt. You can't go wrong with subcultures for sure, they are definitely riding the wave of the modern day gaming renaissance.

Oddly enough, for one of the densest populated countries in the world, there are relatively few games stores here in the Netherlands. Granted; we are spoiled when it comes to travel, and anything over 1/2h is considered far away.

This has occurred to me before as well. So many people, are we just low on gamers or what?
3d designer, sculptor and printer, at your service!

3d files! (here)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2016, 02:14:58 PM »
It seems Hull is once again a law unto itself,
It's a city of around 400,000.people and There's an massive subculture of gaining with at least twelve gaming clubs that I know of and probably a few more( ironically non of them talk to each other there's a very us and them attitude amongst the clubs,it's not my cup of tea so I steer clear of most I still pop to north Hull for product testing on occasion but that's more because they're a thirty second walk from my front door).
So Hull has a disproportionate number of gaming related stores.
There's the obligatory Game Workshop. And two independents  on George Street.( all three are with in a five minute walk of each other in the city centre) Then there's another two model shops and a Gaming shop on Hessle Road.

The Gaming shops all follow a similar model ,each is either affiliated with or has its own gaming club.All have an online presence and all deal in second hand miniatures, Their models are similar to the set up of a Games Workshop stores with gaming tables set up centrally within the stores .The store on George st have larger gaming areas than GW.

That would be enough for most then there's Boyes a local (East Yorkshire) chain of department stores That stock both GW ,Perry's,Plastic Soldier Company,and Airfix,etc. Then several garden centres stock Airfix products.
So there's a lot of choice within a four square miles.( just one point of note please remember to approach the staff in these stores slowly and with a calm quite voice as they startle easily and return to their insular reboot state instantly,as they are not use to talking to 'Normal Grown Ups' (( I'm not kidding ))

Offline jp1885

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • "An enquiring mind is sufficient qualification"
    • My Frostgrave blog
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2016, 09:33:41 PM »
And a really impressive amount of model kits for alternative vehicles, sadly I haven't had the urge to visit Hereford,as sunshine radios always telling me how bad the traffic is there.
Ah it ain't too bad if you catch it right  :)

Offline Grimmnar

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2017, 07:18:33 AM »
In the United States, not really.  Haven't seen one in ages.  Now the hobby shops are 95% collectible card games and premium board games (Fantasy Flight etc.) with a small 40K/Warmahordes section and that's about it.  They're friendly to gaming but the closest you'll see to "wargaming" is Flames of War.  All of these shops will gladly order damn near anything yo want ---- but I haven't seen a historical/combat/wargames based store in a decade or more.
Have to disagree here. Though in my area I have several shops to buy and play in within 20-30 mins. But one stands out is Games and Stuff. Very well rounded store that has been in business for more than a decade. Think actually 12 or 13+ years now.
Some from here are in my area, Joesph "Deathwing" McGuire for example. Dave Taylor is another.
There are others as well across the country. Just not fortunate to be on every corner of the country.

Grimm

Offline MagpieJono

• Scientist
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2017, 07:45:04 AM »
Wargames Emporium in Mansfield is also very good. Big selection of new stuff but also sells second hand. Large gaming space upstairs too.

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2017, 09:06:36 AM »
There is a Wargames shop in Gettysburg, sadly it was evening when I saw it and we were on a schedule in the morning.
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline agent_pumpkin

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2017, 05:49:39 PM »
Another vote hear for Wargames Emporium in Sheffield, although I haven't been for a couple of years.

I do also enjoy a rummage around Spirit Games in Burton on Trent. https://www.spiritgames.co.uk/

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2017, 06:59:43 PM »
Clifton Road games in Exeter. Sells alot of board games and pokemon cards but has model colour, model air and game colour and a good range of box sets and blisters of various stuff. I have even seen rummage style boxes of figures in there...

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2017, 03:48:03 AM »
There's an older one near where I live that has several bins of old minis and sets along with some trade in deals they make off and on. Another one has a buy/sell/trade day every couple months.

Offline Thargor

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2017, 06:45:32 PM »
Entoyment Games in Parkstone, Poole, Dorset - great selection of stuff and they run games nights and the Beachhead Event.

There's a miniatures store in Gosport too, but can't remember what it's called.  It has loads of secondhand  previously loved stuff too.

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2017, 09:33:30 PM »
Clifton Road games in Exeter. Sells alot of board games and pokemon cards but has model colour, model air and game colour and a good range of box sets and blisters of various stuff. I have even seen rummage style boxes of figures in there...
It's pretty good and does well considering its out-of-the-way location.

In Plymouth we have Antics, which recently moved right next door to... GW! Antics is a nice enough place and does railways, radio control, drones etc as well as the obligatory GW. They also stock Valejo. Years ago there used to be a shop in Frankfort Gate but the last time I visited they still had Rogue Trader blisters. Now I want to research it...

Offline Humorous_Conclusion

• Bookworm
    • Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #43 on: March 01, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
My local one is SNM Stuff in Camberley. It has the usual discounted range of Games Workshop stuff, but also has a good range of Reaper Bones and some historical plastics, mostly Perry and Warlord. There starting to stock Beyond the Gates of Antares.

The best thing about them is that they have an excellent range of paints and brushes and airbrush equipment.

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2017, 04:47:21 PM »
Gaming Figures in Redcar has expanded...Gav is a good and helpful guy, he does mail order and internet too
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/