Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 11:23:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686647
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 788
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Afghan War - figure manufacturer options  (Read 5068 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Re: 2nd Afghan War - figure manufacturer options
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2016, 06:28:33 PM »
Those are indeed the ones! 'Hill tribesmen' is a good catch-all to include all Afghan/Pathans, after all...

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2016, 08:19:49 PM »
Thanks Andy, that's what I thought.  Some of the packs look good, but I see what you mean about the price: £12 for six figures, with only three different poses in some packs?  Wow. Probably worth some getting for the variety, but I wouldn't want to be building a whole force out of them at £2 a pop :o

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2016, 08:31:37 PM »
hi
dear Colonial gamers friends ..me too i love NWF scenarios...
don't forget to consider also Britannia miniatures...their apparently cartoon style pathans give quie a lot variety at your units..especially the charging ones armed with tulwar....i have some 20 of them perfectly, once painted (very easy to do) mixed with OG and Founry ones

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2016, 10:01:32 PM »
I'd like to second ITALWARS vote for Britannia Miniatures Pathans from their Pathan Revolt range! Well sculpted and full of character! They also mix well with Artizan
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline TWD

• Mastermind
    • Tom's Toy Soldiers Blog
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2016, 08:33:43 PM »
Comparison if it's helpful

L>R Artizan, OG, Tiger

I don't rate the Tiger models at all, but all three are close enough size and build wise for me to mix them.

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2016, 09:25:25 PM »
I love the expression on the Artizan design guys face!  lol

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2016, 12:14:28 PM »
Comparison if it's helpful

That is helpful thank you.

Now if only someone could post comparison figures of OG, Perry and WF I could probably make up my mind  o_o

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #22 on: October 19, 2016, 05:08:20 AM »
Sir Rodney,

Maybe this will help somewhat...

Perry Bengal/Bombay Inf -- Wargames Foundry Sikh NCO -- Old Glory Indian Mt Gunner -- Eureka Punjab Pioneer -- Castaway Arts Sikh

...and a pic showing one Wargames Foundry kneeling Pathan rifleman and one Old Glory kneeling Pathan rifleman:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 05:10:10 AM by Mad Guru »
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: October 19, 2016, 06:13:08 AM »
Mr Guru - thank you very much for that.  As you say, the OG and WF are very close in scale and I don't think I can have any concerns about using them together  :)

What is surprising is how much bigger the Perry figures are from WF.  My thoughts had been to use the British infantry in Indian service dress from the Perry Sudan range, but that is a non-starter based on the size comparison.

Thanks for helping me avoid a choice I would have regretted, nice figures though they are!

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #24 on: October 19, 2016, 07:01:04 AM »
Very useful indeed Mad Guru.

I want to love Castaway Arts, but look at the Sikh's right arm - it looks like he could easily touch his knee with a straight arm!!  :o
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2016, 07:37:19 AM »
I generally agree with both of you -- Perry figures are noticeably bigger than old Wargames Foundry figures, but I do use both in their own separate  units within the same army.  Re: Castaway Arts, some of their figures are better proportioned than others.  As I think I mentioned earlier in this thread, I'm a big fan of their British Colonial Artillery Crew figures, which are sculpted wearing short tunics, like those worn by the RHA at the battle of Maiwand.  They are very well proportioned and my favorite Castaway Arts figures.

Perry figures are big, but the Perry Sudan British Infantry in Indian service dress are some my all-time favorite colonial figures, and they fit very well with the Empress British from their excellent Zulu War range.

As others have also said above, Artizan are nice as well, but a bit bigger than even Perry or Empress, let alone the Foundry, Old Glory, and other older, smaller 28mm/25mm figures.

One last thing: while the Perry sculpted Wargames Foundry NWF range is noticeably smaller than the newer Perry colonials, the Foundry Darkest Africa range figures sculpted by Mark Copplestone are much less so.  The DA figures are bigger than the NWF figures.

Here's one last pic showing a Perry British officer / Foundry Darkest Africa British officer / and Empress British Officer:

« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 08:03:21 AM by Mad Guru »

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2016, 05:26:44 PM »
Here's one last pic showing a Perry British officer / Foundry Darkest Africa British officer / and Empress British Officer:

Aha! This raises the interesting possibility of my Darkest Africa Sikhs doing double duty on the NWF.  Assuming for the sake of argument that uniform accuracy might be an issue for me (!), do you see any with problems with these being suitable for 1880 - 1890?

http://www.wargamesfoundry.com/files/cache/5191462816e1e319c57b6404a933ebd4_f7344.jpg

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2016, 05:45:48 PM »

I want to love Castaway Arts, but look at the Sikh's right arm - it looks like he could easily touch his knee with a straight arm!!  :o

But just imagine what a great slip fielder he'd make.

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2016, 05:56:01 PM »
Sir Rodney,

I love those DA Sikhs and have them painted up as the 23rd Sikh Pioneers for Charasiab (1879).  They do however have one imperfection for use before say 1890, which I just decided to live with: they're armed with Martini-Henrys, not Snider-Enfields.  Indian infantry didn't receive Martini-Henrys until the British army got the Lee-Metford.  So it depends on how extreme of a "grognard button-counter" type you are!  I'm generally pretty extreme, but I let this one go.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 06:24:49 PM by Mad Guru »

Offline Sir Rodney Ffing

• Scientist
« Reply #29 on: October 19, 2016, 06:23:39 PM »
I want to love Castaway Arts, but look at the Sikh's right arm - it looks like he could easily touch his knee with a straight arm!!  Shocked

But just imagine what a great slip fielder he'd make.

Stand him at 2nd and he could cover 1st and 3rd slip at the same time. Very efficient use of fielding resources I'd say.