Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:19:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New stuff for Weird Wars - (15/07/2019) Heer 46 E-100 Kickstarter live  (Read 56577 times)

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Re: New stuff for Weird Wars - now with added WW KS (more added 26/01/17)
« Reply #60 on: January 27, 2017, 12:02:04 PM »
As to the plasmatruppen, I've not seen anything since they tried to KS SotTR II I'm afraid.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
WG/CG have dropped... some US Drop Troops, again very nice models (though not as nice as the FJ's, but jump troops with flamethrowers - hopefully not too many allowed per unit, but what's not to like). Also the Kodiak variant of their Grizzly mech, geared up for anti personnel & light vehicle carnage. The Soviets also get their first mech, the Cossack (a more unusual look, reminds me of a bit of Mil-24 Hind fuselage on legs).
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 08:14:41 PM by Ballardian »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
The Jump Troopers look great, as for the mechs, I'll stick with my Dust stuff, plus some one from the WestWind new range.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
WG/CG have put out an image of it's upcoming mech for the IJA - it does rather shout 'Tachikoma' at you - so I guess it depends whether that floats your boat or not (personally I think it's a grower).

Offline Arcturus

• Scientist
Thanks Ballardian for keeping us informed. I never find these Konflikt 47 previews on the internetz.

Really like what i see for the Japanese so far.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
I prefer the one without the turret, though my bias against this sort of this is probably clear. They'd do for a sci-fi setting, but some of the designs for that game aren't to my tastes. When I think Japanese mech its a sort of steampunk looking thing with spindly legs, exposed gears and rusted to hell from its time operating on some jungle covered island in the Pacific.

Offline Rich H

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Agreed - the walkers don't really do much for me. 
I'd have liked to see more tie in with the existing vehicles and equipment.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
I think their rationale is that the IJA have acess to German mech design & this is their version of the Spinne. I agree that the main armament should probably mounted in something that doesn't resemble a hat (perhaps on the side of the raised rear of the body) as it looks a little small to contain anything bigger than an lmg.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
It, and a lot of the stuff from that game, just looks way too advanced. That's fine, but is jarring compared to the regular WWII stuff its supposed to mesh with.

I'd have liked something with less curves. There's president for that in the form of interwar stuff, though that thing looks more like something you'd see in Beyond the Gates of Antares unfortunately.

But, well, I don't have Japanese, so meh. None of the vehicles, or outright weird stuff from that game's interested me all that much anyway. :P

(Bitch, whine, moan...)

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
I am not impressed with the IJA mechs.

They look like steam punk spider tanks.

As Ballardian mentions, the turret is a bit small. The Spinne has a similar problem. The 222 turret only has a 20mm cannon, the crew sit either side. The Spinne has a 37mm PAK and a 20mm, you probably can get one of them in there (the crew man supplied would be pulped by the recoiling breach, just hold the gun from a SDKFZ 251/10 over the space to see the recoil path).

I replaced the autocannon with a coax LMG, I still need to build a suitable breech and crew for mine.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
None of the vehicles, or outright weird stuff from that game's interested me all that much anyway. :P

(Bitch, whine, moan...)

The German and British Armoured Infantry are quite nice, unsure whether I prefer the SOTR British Steel to the Galahad (working on one each).

The robots look like they are the wrong scale, 1/43 or 1/35 rather than 1/56, just look at the guns. I am trying to remember what the robot in one of the comics of my childhood looked like.

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Back to the Spinne turret, there are some prototype 3D prints of the turret on a 251 here http://forum.rubiconmodels.com/index.php?topic=308.msg3441#msg3441

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
I agree that the Japanese mechs legs don't look quite right (their curves making them look a little too futuristic) & would be better if a little cruder looking.
 UVS, I'm looking forward to the Rubicon 222, though I'm not that bothered by the rather oversized guns on the Spinne (an easy fix if you wanted & I developed a soft spot for the model - it makes me think of a 222 on legs) after all, you have to ignore that it would drive its legs into the ground first (given how pointed they are).

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Whenever Rubicon eventually release those expansion kits. I've been waiting on the Opel Blitz one for months...

Would a 222 turret work on the Spinne? I'm not sure how the measurements compare. I suppose if they don't something similar could be made out of plasticard (maybe with a solid canopy rather than the mesh one for ease).

I like the look of the Spinne, though yeah those legs would need fixed (hmn...). The price has been the sticking point for me unfortunately (more than a GW Sentinel, though I won't hold it against Clockwork Goblin).

Edit: The Rubicon 250/9 Alte kit is coming out Q3 2017 (originally shown Q1 2016). Screw that. :D
« Last Edit: February 06, 2017, 11:03:07 AM by Wyrmalla »

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
Would a 222 turret work on the Spinne?
I'm fairly sure that the Spinnes turret is noticably larger, though changing the armament would be simple enough.