Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:04:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691128
  • Total Topics: 118375
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Indian Army WW1 uniforms - East Africa & Palestine  (Read 4861 times)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Indian Army WW1 uniforms - East Africa & Palestine
« on: February 09, 2009, 06:09:56 AM »
Am I dreaming or did someone post some pics with paint names/descriptions that they used for Indian troops in WW1 for East Africa and Palestine? I recall someone mentioning the brands and specific names but I'm not sure what group I was on at the time. It may have been LAF or TFL.  Seniors moment or alcohol related memory loss!! Doug, if you are on this list, no comment!!  ;)
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Re: Indian Army WW1 uniforms - East Africa & Palestine
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 11:08:08 PM »
Hi Poiter,

There has been a number of lovely examples of Indian troops coming out from the LAFers. Plynkes for example to name just one who has some very outstanding Sikhs.

If you are needing some examples of Indian colours, perhaps I can share a few tips from my limited experience with working with colours:

I'm using mainly Vellejo and GW that are bought locally.

For my Brigade Games Sikhs I use the following paints:

For undercoating I either go for the mix of GW Scorched Brown with Black or a mix of Vellejo English Uniform (141) and Flat Brown (140)

Main colour is a mix of US Field Drab (142) + English Uniform (141)

I then provide a mix of two parts English Uniform and one part Iraqui Sand (124)

Finally, Iraqui Sand by itself - dry brushed or what ever method you may use. I intend to work with two options with Sikhs. Block an/or dry brushing with fill.

My friend Patrick from Brisbane showed me a nice way of painting Indian flesh colours. They are:
Base Coat of Flat Brown and Black,
Flat Brown on the raised surfaces
Beige Brown (135) and Flat yellow (015) for the cheek, brow, tops of fingers etc.

Azure Blue (062) dry brushed over the beards an other hair (for younger gents) and a dot for the eyes (if you are inclined). For the older gents a lovely light grey will do the trick for the beards and hair.

I'll try and get some photos up of my lastest work when we get some sun.

Helen

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 11:36:05 PM »
Excellent Helen and many thanks. Is Canberra cloudy or smoky ATM?

Hi Poiter,
There has been a number of lovely examples of Indian troops coming out from the LAFers. Plynkes for example to name just one who has some very outstanding Sikhs.
If you are needing some examples of Indian colours, perhaps I can share a few tips from my limited experience with working with colours:
I'm using mainly Vellejo and GW that are bought locally.
For my Brigade Games Sikhs I use the following paints:
For undercoating I either go for the mix of GW Scorched Brown with Black or a mix of Vellejo English Uniform (141) and Flat Brown (140)
Main colour is a mix of US Field Drab (142) + English Uniform (141)
I then provide a mix of two parts English Uniform and one part Iraqui Sand (124)
Finally, Iraqui Sand by itself - dry brushed or what ever method you may use. I intend to work with two options with Sikhs. Block an/or dry brushing with fill.
My friend Patrick from Brisbane showed me a nice way of painting Indian flesh colours. They are:
Base Coat of Flat Brown and Black,
Flat Brown on the raised surfaces
Beige Brown (135) and Flat yellow (015) for the cheek, brow, tops of fingers etc.
Azure Blue (062) dry brushed over the beards an other hair (for younger gents) and a dot for the eyes (if you are inclined). For the older gents a lovely light grey will do the trick for the beards and hair.
I'll try and get some photos up of my lastest work when we get some sun.
Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 11:51:18 PM »
Hi Poiter,

It's very cloudy and has been for a number of days.

Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2009, 02:01:20 AM »
Hi Poiter,

Here are a couple of photos:

If you go to the WW1 & WW2 folder under the heading 22nd Dejat mountain battery you will see the command base for the battery.

There are some variations I applied to the Sikhs on that base.

Helen

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2009, 02:42:05 AM »
Excellent, thank you, I've gone back on those threads/links and downloaded some of the info. I'm stickling with the BH Indians as they seem to represent the Indian forces that consistently served in the EA theatre. I recognise that the BG Inidans are nicer figures but I want more generic type figs. Your painting tips/schemes and pics are superb for my needs. I now have several of the books on the EA campaign after your thread on books for the theatre as well including the Derajat Battery one. Book Depository in Gloucester have been most useful in having stocks at the right price for this sideshow.

Hi Poiter,
Here are a couple of photos:

If you go to the WW1 & WW2 folder under the heading 22nd Dejat mountain battery you will see the command base for the battery.
There are some variations I applied to the Sikhs on that base.
Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2009, 04:11:48 AM »
Thankyou Poiter. Battle Honours produce some wonderful figures an I enjoy using them as they are a nice 25ish mm figure.

Helen