Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:47:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Looking for generic basic solo scenarios  (Read 2844 times)

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
Looking for generic basic solo scenarios
« on: October 18, 2016, 02:25:35 PM »
I'm planning to start doing some solo Pulp Alley games, but I'm finding that very few of the basic scenarios in the rules really suit the format. The usual set up with two forces competing over the same objectives work fine when it's player vs player, but really doesn't make much sense if I'm playing archaeologists facing the guardians of an ancient tomb (so the guardians are trying to grab the treasures that they've been guarding for millennia?), or hunting dinosaurs in the jungle.
In particular, I wish there was a good basic scenario where one side is the defender trying to guard objectives from the other side, or ones that are just about hunting down monsters/beasts/dinosaurs/whatever. Do anyone know of such scenarios, or have advice on how to make them?

And yes, I know there are campaign books, but I'm looking for just a basic set-up that can easily be fleshed out for my own campaigns.
If you're convincing yourself that you're infallible, you can never improve.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: Looking for generic basic solo scenarios
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2016, 07:01:43 PM »
Well a basic league-vs-horror scenario works very well for that sort of thing. Of course you can't run that sort of game every time.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2016, 10:22:35 PM »
I played my first Pulp Alley solo game a few weeks ago. To be honest, Plot Points can be pretty much whatever you want...from a man with important information to ancient hieroglyphs on a wall to small statue of Anubis...you don't have to have the one side defend all of them...just one of them. Maybe have the attackers need to claim two of the other Plot Points before they can attempt the main Plot Point which is the one that is being defended.

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2016, 08:36:54 PM »
I played my first Pulp Alley solo game a few weeks ago. To be honest, Plot Points can be pretty much whatever you want...from a man with important information to ancient hieroglyphs on a wall to small statue of Anubis...you don't have to have the one side defend all of them...just one of them. Maybe have the attackers need to claim two of the other Plot Points before they can attempt the main Plot Point which is the one that is being defended.

Well, for starters, I'm not sure why you bring up the fact that plot points can represent many different things, since that had absolutely nothing to do with my question.
Never said anything about one side having to guard all the plot points at the same time either, but I agree that a one-sided Trail of Clues style scenario could work as a solo game. I worry about it being too easy, though.

Offline wulfgar22

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2016, 10:20:41 PM »
Well, for starters, I'm not sure why you bring up the fact that plot points can represent many different things, since that had absolutely nothing to do with my question.
Never said anything about one side having to guard all the plot points at the same time either, but I agree that a one-sided Trail of Clues style scenario could work as a solo game. I worry about it being too easy, though.

The reason I mentioned it is because in your post you refer specifically to guardians trying to grab the treasures they've been guarding for millenia as an example of why you think two forces competing over the same objectives doesn't work in a solo game. I was trying to help by suggesting that it's possible to make the objectives/Plot Points serve a variety of purposes, as tests, challenges and clues...even characters to meet, get help from or defeat, for example...thereby making it possible to tailor the scenario to whatever narrative you have in mind. For me, that's the beauty of Pulp Alley...it's so easy to build a great narrative. In my solo game...The Lost Temple of Kos...I just used Smash & Grab and adapted the Plot Points to suit the story I had in mind.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 07:36:00 PM by wulfgar22 »

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2016, 12:03:45 AM »
...  a one-sided Trail of Clues style scenario could work as a solo game. I worry about it being too easy, though.

Almost all the basic Pulp Alley scenario work really well for Solo play. It is hard to suggest one over another, but you might start with Smash & Grab or Lost Keys just to get used to the Solo rules.

With regards to how hard/easy a particular scenario is going to be, this is mostly determined by how you choose to play the bots. As explained in the "Your Own Worst Enemy" section, always play the enemy side as a real opponent would. Be devious and ruthless, and always make things as hard as you can on your league.  ;)

HAVE FUN

Offline BugPope

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2016, 04:44:17 AM »
I got a private message from a person who who will let be anonymous who says that he has been trying for years to play Pulp Alley without getting the right feeling. Phillips, I love your game, but I really don't think it's a good idea to pretend that any criticism about your game is invalid and should be ignored. That's the kind of unfortunate, egocentric mindset that leads to unfinished, fundamentally broken games like In Her Majesty's Name.

I know it's not pleasant to hear someone say that your game isn't perfect, but I think it's important to take any feedback seriously, even if it says that your game can become even better.

Offline gary42

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2016, 05:46:58 AM »
What is the matter with you?
"They seek him here, they seek him... There he is!"

Offline Wolf Girl

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2016, 05:50:09 AM »
Phillips, I love your game, but I really don't think it's a good idea to pretend that any criticism about your game is invalid and should be ignored. That's the kind of unfortunate, egocentric mindset that leads to unfinished, fundamentally broken games like In Her Majesty's Name.

I know it's not pleasant to hear someone say that your game isn't perfect, but I think it's important to take any feedback seriously, even if it says that your game can become even better.

I am guessing you mean Phipps? We get called "Phillips" alot.  :D

Dad has always tried very hard to take criticism seriously. We talk about feedback from players fairly often, playtest their ideas, and have even made changes based on player suggestions. We know no game is going to be perfect for everyone and there are tons of reasons that different players are not going to like a particular game.

We frequently encourage players to share their ideas and suggestions, but vague anonymous innuendos aren't very helpful.  ;)

Mila Phipps, Pulp Girl
mila@pulpalley.com

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2016, 09:18:06 AM »
Bugpope, your tone seems unnecessarily confrontational. If you don't like the way pulp alley plays solo then, it seems to me, you have two choices: play a different game or find some friends to play with. Alternatively if you just want to cause an argument for no particular reason then I would suggest you go to Frothers forum, where there are plenty of people who will give you a 'heated debate'.

This is Lead Adventure Forum.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2016, 05:13:30 PM »
I got a private message from a person who who will let be anonymous who says that he has been trying for years to play Pulp Alley without getting the right feeling. Phillips, I love your game, but I really don't think it's a good idea to pretend that any criticism about your game is invalid and should be ignored. That's the kind of unfortunate, egocentric mindset that leads to unfinished, fundamentally broken games like In Her Majesty's Name.

First, thanks for playing Pulp Alley. I'm glad y'all are having fun.

Second, I agree with your sentiments 100%. Luckily, many Pulp Alley players have shared suggestions with us over the years. We used many of their comments to help make our game better and I am incredibly grateful for all their questions and ideas. As always, we hope everyone keeps sending them.

THANKS for the feedback!  :D

HAVE FUN

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2016, 06:00:43 PM »
Bugpope, your tone seems unnecessarily confrontational. If you don't like the way pulp alley plays solo then, it seems to me, you have two choices: play a different game or find some friends to play with. Alternatively if you just want to cause an argument for no particular reason then I would suggest you go to Frothers forum, where there are plenty of people who will give you a 'heated debate'.

This is Lead Adventure Forum.
There is a third choice as well: to make homebrew personal changes, which in solo gaming should be no trouble at all.

Offline pistolpete

• Mad Scientist
  • Rent money is for rent - telly savalas
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2016, 08:53:04 PM »
for solo scenarios, the vice alley book as some that are attacker vs defender type which might suit the idea of league vs bot; the names escape me at the moment but "raid" maybe.  these scenarios have the defenders earn plot points that are not taken at the end so they only have to stop the league to succeed.

sorry there's someone not having fun with PA, and that's ok.  i'm no fan of WH.  PA is the only game i've been interested in for some time (original pulp girl write ups during initial play testing - yes that long ago).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 01:20:47 AM »
oh dear,

'A bad workman always blames his tools.' Springs to mind.

It's well know that I prefer a distinctly Ealing ,and British feel to my Games ,boarding on VBCW,rather than Pulp. I've not found the company egotistical in fact quite the reverse ,Dave has openly requested feedback on my impressions of his work and asked for advice. Since  I'm on the other side of the pond I've no reason to be in one camp or the other.Nor quite frankly would I care to be .I am free lance and intend to remain so.

You can apply personal taste and expectations to any set of rules.Ive recently commented on the Congo rules I've followed them on the forum an though they'll do for me Turns out they don't cover what I thought they would I've not condemned their creators I've simply stated that my impression of Congo didn't match.the product so I'll use another product.

Bugpope
To quote my Grandfather

' There are three sides to every story when it's told by two men'

Dave doesn't strike me as a man who's starving  so I think it's fair to say they're doing something right.
PulpAlley is open for adaptation an interpretation It's stated pretty much every where !
Make it your own,Or make your own.
That phrase pretty much covers the hobby on this forum.and that's the spirit in which I support this forum.
As for solo games personally I'd follow the plot of the thirty nine steps ( there's no reason for Hannay to have come over from South Africa on his own) That way you can achive both blocking /guarding scenarios and race for objectives ,and the control of plot points.
In short look towards your favourite films for inspiration as you've out lined your scenario needs in your opening post the story line flesh can be achived by applying it what you know or like to watch.You can even apply this to the saga's.Rather than the 20th century.
Mark.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2016, 07:51:54 AM »
I've removed the last couple of posts. Please keep the conversation civil. No flaming. Constructive criticism is perfectly okay by the way. Robust questioning, ditto. But no fighting. Thanks.