Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:05:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Anglo-Zulu War ~ Durnford's Advance, Isandlwana ~ 22nd Jan 1879  (Read 1935 times)

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
Anglo-Zulu War ~ Durnford's Advance, Isandlwana ~ 22nd Jan 1879
« on: October 18, 2016, 10:15:57 PM »
Telegraphs have arrived with further details of the recent disaster to H.M. forces in Zululand. Inspired by an Ian Knight article in Wargames Illustrated #300, I fought the opening stage of Isandlwana when Colonel Durnford advanced his forces, in the belief he was preventing the Zulus moving to reinforce the enemy forces Chelmsford had marched off south to confront. Only too late scouts reported to him that the Zulu army was actually north of him and closing fast.

My re-fight was in 15mm with Black Powder and was really a joyous excuse to deploy my rocket battery...which failed to hit anything, at all, but looked great  :)  High drama ensued as Captain Nourse's NNC company was wept away, Major Rusell's battery were overun and finally the Basutho N.N.H. horse were disordered, surrounded and fought a last stand, perhaps buying time for the British camp's defenders to prepare for the onfolding onslaught...

I then re-fought the battle with my friend John and this time, Durnford's men did better, breaking the Zulu skirmisher companies. There were even cheers from the Zulu commander (myself) when the rocket-battery finally hit something! However once their main body arrived on the board, the Zulu indunas rolled consistently spectacular command-rolls and were able to destroy the NNC and catch the fleeing artillery. Durnford's and his Basutho Horse however executed a daring escape, so a historical result was achieved. Huzzah!

Offline Captain Darling

• Mad Scientist
    • Captain Darlings Miniatures Emporium
Re: Anglo-Zulu War ~ Durnford's Advance, Isandlwana ~ 22nd Jan 1879
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 02:03:55 AM »
Good looking game Skirmisher, nice figures and set up.

I think the smaller scales work better for bigger actions, the bigger the battle the smaller the scale figures I reckon!
"There's nothing cushy about life in the Women's Auxiliary Balloon Corps!"

http://captaindarlingsminiaturesemporium.blogspot.com.au
https://toysoldiersforoldgits.blogspot.com.au

Offline Sapper

• Student
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2016, 09:49:27 PM »
Hi

A point to note - the rockets do NOT have exploding warheads !!!

Sapper

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 08:11:47 AM »
That rocket model is awesome  :o
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline skirmisher

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 10:11:43 PM »
Thanks folks. Sapper, I had read somewhere about the rocket not being explosive...but fudged and ignored it as the explosion marker looked good :) Have just done some inter-googling there to read up more on the rockets of the time and you are correct about the lack of explosive properties (though the propellant burns were still very nasty) e..g http://www.rorkesdriftvc.com/discussion.php?topid=8482&forid=1

Vodkafan, I am pleased with the rocket 'contrail' myself: had a bit of wire lying around, impaled some cushion-stuffing onto it, and based it on a bit of roof-lead (as it was suitably heavy) with small hole drilled through the base for the wire.

Highly erratic firing but visually impressive (though my Zulu forces were largely unmoved). Hopefully they will yield better results at Inzeyane and Gindgindlovu...

Captain Darling, I can't take credit for the figures, as I bought them recently but very pleased with them and enjoying immersing myself in campaign research, glue and dice-rolling! Hoping to fight a company convoy action next week, to try out my friend's TmWwBk rules.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2016, 10:28:04 PM by skirmisher »

Offline LordSpode1879

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 04:24:23 PM »
Awesome and inspirational in equal measure! Nice looking set up and I too am a fan of the rocket contrail!
Now listen to me you benighted muckers. We're going to teach you soldiering. The world's noblest profession. When we're done with you, you'll be able to slaughter your enemies like civilized men.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 04:28:29 PM »
A delightful set-up! I do like the rocket trail. As for the exploding warhead, call it scriptwriter's license.  ;)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com