Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:38:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Missing Shields  (Read 2587 times)

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
Missing Shields
« on: October 20, 2016, 01:24:07 PM »
Wonder if anyone can help.
I bough t a box of Immortal Miniatures Spartans from the Derby Wargaming show. Only it turns out the seller was pulling a fast one and actually I've bought 24 spartan upgrades with no hoplites to actually upgrade. In practice that gives me 24 bodies with 24 right arms(12 spears, 12 swords). But no shields or left arms. Is there a way to buy shields or make them so I can make the figures up ?

I've blutacked a 5p piece on and it look ok-ish so 15mm mdf circle might do, but its kinda flat and obviously there would be no arm,but you'd have to pick it up to notice that.

Or should I just give up and not throw good money after bad?

Offline ayak333

• Librarian
Re: Missing Shields
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2016, 03:05:34 AM »
I would contact the seller, or more importantly contact immortal (or warlord?) and tell them you got a box missing pieces.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2016, 11:20:49 AM »
Yeah the seller was  a bloke on a stall at a games show so I've no idea who he was. I suppose I could contact Warlord games, but I assume its a really old set and the bloke just had spare sprues, he put in a box and chanced it. I looked on ebay and I think you get hoplites as the main sprue and then some spartan upgrades, there is another person selling the upgrades as spartans too, but they will not answer any messages (could be same bloke I suppose). As I effectively have a box of spares I think warlord would have to be amazing generous to supply the actual main sprues.

So is there a way of getting/Making shields ?

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2016, 12:33:49 PM »
Perhaps put a request on the Bazaar?
Other than that, the easiest and probably cheaper option would be to buy a new full set. Don't remember anyone producing separate shields with arms attached, and those domed hoplite shields are hard to reproduce from scratch.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2016, 12:38:22 PM »
Conquest Miniatures sell the plastic weapons sprue from their Norman range. It costs £2 and includes 3 large round shields and 3 large kite shields. I *think* that the shields have all or part of a left arm attached. As the shields are plastic they are reasonably easy to cut and file to shape.
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2016, 12:46:30 PM »
Don't Foundry do separate shields for Spartens?

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2016, 02:10:20 PM »
the easiest and probably cheaper option would be to buy a new full set.

Well I was wondering this. £2/3 for 3 shields isn't going to be cost effective. I couldnt find shields on the foundry site. magistermilitum do hoplite shields but there's no real description so I don't know what they are or how big or anything about them really.

Do you think mdf bases and no arm is going to look silly ? No point spending hours painting them if they will look silly.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2016, 02:45:02 PM »
I personally wouldn't use MDF but, like everything of course, it's up to personal opinion (I'd probably spend the couple of quid for peace of mind).

cheers

James

Offline Mithridates1

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2016, 11:33:20 PM »
As I recall Immortal Hoplites had their shield arms attached to shields - explains why they are both missing I suppose.   Maybe someone has spare arms from other plastics, doesn't matter what type??  Team these with metal hoplite shields - Aventine has just released some very nice sculpts.

Offline tyrionhalfman

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2016, 12:05:33 AM »
I've got some spare Wargames Factory and Victrix shields and I can probably dig out enough spare arms if you're interested?

Offline pbjunky1

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2016, 02:12:30 AM »
I can probably find you half a dozen Factory left arms (bare) and some Factory Hoplon type shields if you still need them.

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2016, 09:48:03 AM »
I've got some spare Wargames Factory and Victrix shields and I can probably dig out enough spare arms if you're interested?
That would be great. I can't work how to pm you, but I'll try again latter.
I'll contact warlord too, see what they say.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Offline kuba

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 05:20:26 PM »
In my box (not spartans, classical or ancient version, the one with 40 figures not 42) there were few upgrade sprues without shields, few stamdard sprues, and about 8 metal shields with arms -the same part as on sprues but casted separately. If they include separate metal shields in their boxes there is a chance that they will sell You (or maybe even send for free as the missing parts) just the shields You need.
If I remember the sprues content correctly and if You have literally none standard hoplite sprue, You'll be also missing spear arms for half of the bodies

Offline happyhiker

• Bookworm
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2016, 02:43:19 PM »
Just as an update, as it's half term, my son and I popped into warlord games in Nottingham to look at some napolionic figures (probable xmas pressie) and I asked them about the spartan shields, they still supply the sprue as a hoplite expansion, and actually include a bag of extra metal shields in the latest sets, so the very nice man we spoke to gave me a bag of metal shields to complete the set ! :D we had a good chat about Waterloo too as my son is eight and changes his mind about what period to paint faster than we can actually finish a set.

Warlord are getting a shop in the next month or so if anyone wanted a trip...

Anyway thanks for the offers of help and advice and thumbs up to warlord.

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2016, 05:47:08 PM »
Good on them!! Glad you got it sorted out. :)