Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 10:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Any thoughts on Deadzone second edition?  (Read 857 times)

Offline CarlLeyland

• Scientist
Any thoughts on Deadzone second edition?
« on: October 25, 2016, 10:12:38 AM »
Hi

I am thinking of purchasing Deadzone 2nd edition does it have any flaws? Anything to watch out for? Anyone playing this game?

My son is 13 so I thought he may recognise this type of game from his xbox....I have seen reviews for the first edition but not this one.

Thanks in advance

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Re: Any thoughts on Deadzone second edition?
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2016, 12:19:18 PM »
There's a good playthrough by Guerilla Miniature Games (Ash posts here on LAF as "Achilles").

I think it's much better than DZ1, but still has rough edges.

I accept hat DZ1 was a nice tidy design in mechanics terms compared to DZ2, but DZ1 was very pillow-fisted in general (although a few factions/builds were horribly and savagely effective!).

Big improvements are the better freedom of what models you can include, slightly bigger game size, no cards (for units or for special actions - which removes the little mini-game distraction of DZ1), and more lethality in general. I also feel that the decision to either shoot or suppress is actually a proper decision now, with each choice having pros and cons.

The only real word of caution is to be wary of any spam-style force builds though; as Ash's report highlights, having a big numbers difference still matters a lot in little skirmish games like theses!

As for buying the game, the starter kit is decent enough (all hard plastic sprues), but I feel that the terrain is a bit lacking in quantity. If you can supplement the set with a DZ1 box or a Battlezone kit for cheap however, that would be worth considering. Or make your own terrain! ;)

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Any thoughts on Deadzone second edition?
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2016, 07:07:01 PM »
We've played it a fair deal over the summer. I quite like it as a quick, no fuss skirmish game. As said the starter box is fairly decent and we've used plenty of proxies to fill out the forces before getting the official minis. As the game plays with true line of sight, you can eaily place non- deadzone terrain on the table and it'll work fine.

Spam forces and fast CC forces are dangerous as are Terratons, these will break the game.

All in all it'd probably be a good buy to play with your 13yr old and theres plenty of fun to have with it.