Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:25:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Knight Models announce Harry Potter Miniature Game!  (Read 5614 times)

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
Knight Models announce Harry Potter Miniature Game!
« on: October 27, 2016, 09:17:56 PM »
Well this certainly took me by surprise! Just announced by Knight Models, via an add at the back of the new 'Suicide Squad' boxed set

Harry Potter Miniature Game!

Now being a massive fan of both the books and series, this is very exciting news. I have actually been working on a Harry Potter project for a number of years, looks like Knight Models have beaten me to it!

Here's a diecast 1/48 Ford Anglia and a couple of soft plastic figs that came with it - obviously not KM, can't wait to see what they come up with

A facebook group to discuss the game further
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1189666701127319/

Very excited  :D

My Blog: http://returntologansworld.blogspot.com.au/
Empire of the Dead, Strange Aeons, Old-School Fantasy and Rogue Trader, 15mm ATZ

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Knight Models announce Harry Potter Miniature Game!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 11:22:47 PM »
That could be fun, and perhaps a good way to get kids into gaming.  But...sadly Knight Models is on my no-go list solely based on the rather absurd price they put on their figures.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2016, 11:42:51 PM »
I am excited about this, as my daughters are both very fond of the books and movies, and I think this is going to get them into miniature gaming for real!

Here they are, after their trip with the 'Hogwarts Express' at this year's Harry Potter Festival in Odense about a week ago:

the rather absurd price they put on their figures.

I think they are very expensive, but some the pricing must be because of the royalties/licenses.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »
Yes, Knight Models are expensive, but I find them worth it.  And this news surprises on how much it excites me.

I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan.  I've read the very enjoyable and creative books, and watched the very entertainging films with my kids, but somehow painting these miniatures really interest me! 

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2016, 12:55:13 AM »
I'm not a huge Harry Potter fan.  I've read the very enjoyable and creative books, and watched the very entertainging films with my kids, but somehow painting these miniatures really interest me! 

I have actually been hoping for something like this to come along - also not a huge fan, I read the books aloud for both of my girls, then watched the films corresponding to each book after each one (so the eldest one got the films twice), and have been attending the HP Festival in Odense with the kids the last 3 years. I think this may excite the girls about gaming in a way that   more 'mainstream' fantasy minis could not.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Mastermind
    • ZeroTwentythree
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2016, 05:16:15 AM »
But...sadly Knight Models is on my no-go list solely based on the rather absurd price they put on their figures.

I'm not familiar with them, but I just took a look at their web site and. :o You're not kidding. Especially when the scale of the figures looks to be too far off for mixing with most other manufacturers. Could have been interesting, but DOA for me.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2016, 11:05:30 AM »
Might pick up the Ford Anglia and maybe the Knight Bus if it's getting released, but the scale is off, their pricing is more then I'm willing to pay for a single miniature and it's a period/world on it's own, so no, not for me.
Leadhead

Offline n815e

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2016, 12:55:08 PM »
Oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh oh!

Offline Whitwort Stormbringer

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2016, 03:32:38 AM »
I kind of like the notion of a Harry Potter miniatures game, but am disappointed that it's going to be made by Knight Models.  They lean so heavily on recognizable licensed characters that I have a hard time seeing this being anything other than Harry, Hermione, Ron, etc. vs. Voldemort or Malfoy or whatever, and I don't really have any interest in a miniatures game about established characters in an established universe.

If there's more of a "build your own wizard warband" approach, then I will most definitely be interested, and if the rules are comprehensive enough to include various magical creatures then that's a big plus.  I would view it a bit like GW's Lord of the Rings game, though - I'm less interested in the Fellowship vs. orcs than I am in building my own force of elves, or rangers, or whatever and situating them in the existing world.  Maybe a familiar face makes it in here and there, but in general I'd rather it was "generic" characters that we create on our own, rather than the cast of the novels.

Offline Andym

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2016, 07:40:35 AM »
I REALLY shouldn't be excited by this.........but I really am! ::)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2016, 12:53:53 PM by Andym »

Offline ivor13

• Scientist
    • Saturday Mornings 13
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2016, 01:45:58 AM »
Definitely excited by the possibilities, there is so much that you can do with the HP world  :D

I have to agree with cost of Knight Models figures being a huge turn off as well. I think it's fairly certain that we're unfortunately going to see single models falling in that $15 to $20 range, and packs of four probably close to $40. Of course I could be completely wrong (and you have no idea how much I wish I am) but when you look at BMG and the Marvel game seems like a easy bet.

Offline The_Baron

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2016, 02:41:58 AM »
While I think price point is always going to be raised with Knight Models, I have changed my view on this a bit. Yes they are expensive, but they do actually seem to be running multiple licensed games with great success (Batman and Marvel). Perhaps a higher price point is what makes these games financially viable and able to be sustained? The boxed sets seem to be slightly better value than one-off minis.

If we take a look at the history of licensed games, perhaps with what we might think are more reasonable prices, it doesn't look good - Mongoose are about to close out Judge Dredd (and Starship Troopers before then), Leading Edge with Aliens and Terminator, West End Games with Star Wars, more recently with Mantic and Mars Attacks, the list goes on. Prodos have made brilliant Aliens and Predator models, but not without teething problems and they aren't exactly cheap either. We aren't talking 'Not' models here, the licensing fees need to be paid on top of all your normal costs to produce minis.

Whether the game is good or not, I'm excited to get some official Potter minis. I agree that I want to make generic characters too, but I'm sure such things can be house ruled. This facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1189666701127319/  will focus on expanding on the official minis, including conversions, proxies and so on - something that is clamped down on very hard (understandably) on the 'official' page.

Still very excited to see the first models! :)