Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:50:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Forest Cannibals - A CONGO Project  (Read 3856 times)

Offline mordor

• Assistant
Re: Forest Cannibals - A CONGO Project
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 10:48:27 PM »
Beautiful work!
All of them, but especially the mask is fantastic!  :-*
My expedition´s reporter just can´t sleep, after he heard some of these cannibals around the camp...  ;D

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2016, 03:38:24 PM »
Thanks for all the kind words! There was a problem with the image hoster, but now it should work.

Offline Hobbyone

• Bookworm
    • http://hobbyonenews.blogspot.fr/
« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2016, 07:01:23 PM »
terrifying, but very realistic. .. I love.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2016, 07:06:35 PM »
They look fantastic.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2016, 04:51:38 PM »
Agreed, while cannibalism DID happen it was generally very ritualized and not just a bunch of guys randomly eating people, it didn't help the Force Publique used the threat of it to keep men in line.

sorry but i do not agree..it was'nt at all just "ritualized"..but really quite a few bunch of savages eating people...there is a broad litterature and reliable evidence about that..and not only in the scramble for africa era..but also until very recently....as you mention Force Publique you could read Doctor Hinde accounts...quite balanced almost   neutral source which largely described that both Force Publique askaris and their African foes (maybe not the civilised and proud Azande..but many others) really loved to eat their captured ennemies or, in the majority of cases, the deads...in case of captured Arab slavers they where really happy to have those ready meals at their disposal..the cannibalism was very extended ...i read alos that in the quasi totality diaries from European officers of the Force Publique..also in unpublished Italian sources that i have.....you can easyly find same habit in German East Africa accounts and in Sub Saharian French Africa...also in this case involving Askaris, Tirailleurs and their ennemies tribesmen...
as the inspiration of many of recent postings on Africa refer to the "Congo" recently published rule systhem..of which i know nothing just because i'm really satisfied by my only set of Colonial wargame rule which is TSATF..i would be very curious to know how cannibalism is treated...did it inspire "terror"?....i would be surprised to realise that this new recent and acclaimed rule set have the intellectual honesty, also if we are talking about a semi-historical game,  to include in his rules the possibility to represent (morale check ecc..) the peculiar  bad behaviours by both African tribesmen and Arabs which, as everyone who read something about 19c. Africa  knows..was slavery sponsored and perpetuated by arabs and cannibalism plus support to slavery against their brothers by many africans
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016, 05:06:26 PM by italwars »