Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:07:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New Project: Mythical Greek war band for Dragon Rampant/Saga Trojan wars  (Read 4264 times)

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
Here is a first look at the minis for a project I am starting  - a very 'Hollywood-esque' ancient Greek force. The models are primarily Crocodile Games fantastic Wargods of Olympus Athenians from the Kickstarter, although I have replaced the stock shields with resin ones from Anvil industries. This is because the originals, beautiful though they are, are not traditional round hoplons and have scary sculpted on detail that I'd never be able to paint. The chariot is a Wargods Spartan chariot with the Spartan symbols removed and an Athenian hero added to the crew. I totally love these models...the sculpting is amazing and they are BIG heroic models so should take paint well.

The force is arrayed here as it would take the field using the Osprey Dragon Rampant rules, so 2 hoplite (heavy foot) units, 1 leader unit (elite foot - reduced model unit, 2 strength pts per base), 1 elite cavalry/chariot unit (reduced model unit - 6 strength points for the whole thing), 1 peltast unit (light foot with short range missile options) and 2 archer (scouts) units. There is also a sorceress/oracle unit (including the fabulous Helen of Troy model that came with the Crocodile Kickstarter.) I just want to get a mythical beast, probably a minotaur to add to the fantasy element of it, or maybe a demigod...
I am still muling over how to modify a couple of bits in Dragon Rampant to make it more 'Greek' - particularly some kind of Phalanx rule, but I'll have plenty of time to work on that. I am also building an Undead Egyptian force using GW Tomb Kings models as opposition for this force...perhaps I'll post pics of that in the Fantasy board...Egyptian skeletons may be step too far for this one!!!
However, I anticipate also using models from this force for Saga using the Trojan War boards that are available online. I haven't played much Saga lately and a couple of chaps at the club have 28mm Greek armies, so options there!!

I hope to get these undercoated in the next week or so and I'll start painting them in any spare moments over the Christmas madness. I'm going for a very Hollywood look, so expect very bright golden style bronze armour (a bit like those new GW Age of Sigmar models) and uniformity amongst the hoplites and heroes in particular!!

Here are the models ready for undercoating - not great pics as using phone in the lounge!!

« Last Edit: December 14, 2015, 12:05:55 AM by guitarheroandy »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Project: Mythical Greek war band for Dragon Rampant/Saga Trojan wars
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2015, 12:04:49 AM »
Lovely models, army and project, you could add a coyple of gods and,also play OGAM

Offline Matakakea

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2015, 05:32:44 PM »
This should be a good looking army when finished. I also like that it's usable in different systems too.
I'm not a mercenary. Killing's more of a hobby for me.

Offline powerfrog99

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2015, 06:32:40 PM »
Lovely idea, I just got my Athenians last week.

I am looking forward to see these painted  ;)

cheers Thomas
These days it's Wargods and Warhammer Armies Project I am working on !

Check out my gallery here on LAF
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?action=gallery;su=user;u=2521

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2015, 08:49:43 PM »
Those minis look great,will follow this thread with interest,my copy of Dragon Rampant was ordered via Amazon and hasn't arrived yet ,that'll teach me  :)

Offline wolfen

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2015, 11:58:24 PM »
I have Spartans, Trojans and Amazons from the KS. Will be using them for dragon rampant too now, thanks to this thread.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2015, 06:20:27 AM »
Very nice, I like this force.  8) 8) 8)

Offline Barry

• Student
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2016, 12:00:49 PM »
So, where did you end up with this project? I am starting to use my Croc figures for the same project. any AAR's or pictures of your painted figures you could post?

Offline LeadAsbestos

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • When the Hurlyburly's Done...
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 12:00:21 PM »
Oh! I thought this was new! I hope it got finished, as it looks great just in the metal!

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2016, 06:22:33 PM »
On the painting table as we speak!! Got sidetracked by more colonials this year and, aside from those have done no painting this year whatsoever...  :(

Hoping to get a unit of 12 hoplites completed by the end of this year!!!! (I really have no painting mojo at the moment!) I need a deadline!!!  :D

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2016, 07:40:09 PM »
Good looking stuff! It is a shame that they haven't released more of the greek stuff in their regular store... it has been a couple years now at least since that KS finished, hasn't it?
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2016, 08:23:07 PM »
It must be a year since I got these Athenian minis. I think there is another faction of Greeks that is yet to be (or is about to be) fulfilled. I think that's the last one before stuff goes to stores. They are amazing models!