Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:59:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Fiftyvolts' Frostgrave dungeon terrain (Update: wooden roofs!)  (Read 1714 times)

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
Fiftyvolts' Frostgrave dungeon terrain (Update: wooden roofs!)
« on: October 31, 2016, 06:38:02 PM »
Hey all -- I have a smattering of Dwarven Forge dungeon tile pieces, but i've always felt that I didn't quite have enough to really fill up my table nor build a multi-level dungeon. I wasn't really keen on buying more but did want a way to build up my collection. I thought of going with foam, texturing, and cutting it to size, but I never had the confidence that I'd be able to produce something that would look good enough next to the DF stuff.

While I was poking around in Google Image Search I saw some sweet looking dungeons that were made using the hirst arts molds, and I was intrigued. It looked like a good solution for me, but I'm living in an apartment and the thought of slopping around plaster was basically a non-starter.

So I gave the molds a shot using sculpey, basically a push mold. The results so far exceeded my expectations. I'm sure that I'm wearing the molds more than plaster would, but they are still holding up really well. The sculpey medium firm blend held the textures excellently. There is some warping during the demold, but over all not too much worse than the DF pieces. Here are some pics of my first run to make some elevation blocks. My thought is that with the right top I could also use them as a ruined bridge or aqueduct (or something) for outdoor settings as well

I have an idea for a new design that will be a bit more sturdy, I'll post when I'm done.

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 05:04:25 PM by Fiftyvolts »

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
Re: Fiftyvolts' Frostgrave dungeon terrain (Sculpey, molds, pics!)
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 01:20:33 AM »
Added some ruined building pieces to the collection. I used a greenstuffworld roller for the floor texture and then built up the two ruins using the molds and sculpey. The bars/grate on the one came out pretty cool.

I like that they are some what modular in that I can use them as two separate half ruins or put them together for like a four wall footprint.

The windows didn't come out as well as I'd like. I think I need to get some grit/flock into the cracks around it to disguise where the seams of the blocks are.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
Re: Fiftyvolts' Frostgrave dungeon terrain (Update: ruined buildings)
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2016, 07:19:39 AM »
That's very smart! Now I wish I never sold my moulds...
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2016, 01:25:04 PM »
Which molds did you have?

I just got a stack of molds in the mail this morning. Excited to try out some new designs!

Offline Fiftyvolts

• Student
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:01 PM »
I added some "roofs" to the stacking pieces I made. I need to do some sanding, but I think it finishes them a bit better.

Also I'm starting to crank out floor tiles for some bespoke dungeon rooms. I need a few hundred of those bad boys for my plans which is going to take some time  :-X