Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:40:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 7
Guests: 618
Total: 625

Recent

Author Topic: Playtesters needed for fantasy adventure/skirmish game  (Read 9558 times)

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Playtesters needed for fantasy adventure/skirmish game
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2016, 02:48:52 PM »

Yes that´s right you don´t have to make a focus action during camping phase to use a item.

Glad we got that right  :)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2016, 01:35:57 AM »
I, unfortunately, only got in one small play-test.  I did read through the rules and mark it up for English correction.  If this is something you'll be selling it'll be necessary to have an English-speaking editor.  Not a big deal, I'm sure you can find someone locally or online.

The best stuff?  The art and the feel of the components.  Has a genuinely nice old school vibe.  The layout is pretty good and it was easy enough to follow along.  I think the "ride along" scenario start is a good idea - delving into the proper rules later.

My only game I got in, I died in the first room.  The combat is far more role-playing than your average "hack n' slash" dungeon crawl.  I think this game would work best with a GM --- playing solo is easy but the bad guys are quite difficult so it would really feel more like a DM vs. Players skirmish game than a "waves of bad guys" adventure.

I love that the PDF includes game tiles for people who don't have anything on hand.  That's a simple and smart move.  Once again the art is classy.

Things I didn't like:
-Not a huge fan of the scale of the game.  I fall more in favor of the heroes hacking through dozens and dozens of goblins at a time, etc.  As such I'm not overly fond of keeping track of wounds for simple bad guys (something I disliked about Warhammer Quest despite my appreciation for that game).  This is of course a simple opinion and not a critique of the game system itself.

-I do think the monster cards need much more simplification/streamlining.  I expected the cards to have stats on them, instead of "leather armour" which then meant I had to go look up the armour value during play etc. I think simple numbers on the monster cards is a far better idea.  You could do away completely with the idea of taking items from monsters --- perhaps replace this with an option to draw a gear card for each enemy slain?

I'll give this another try when I get the chance, but from my first (and only!) experience, I found it more clunky than I was anticipating.  Again, probably easier with a DM who is covering his side of the cards/monsters.  I think it's a brilliant start but could really shine with some streamlining.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #47 on: November 27, 2016, 09:59:15 PM »
I, unfortunately, only got in one small play-test.  I did read through the rules and mark it up for English correction.  If this is something you'll be selling it'll be necessary to have an English-speaking editor.  Not a big deal, I'm sure you can find someone locally or online.

The best stuff?  The art and the feel of the components.  Has a genuinely nice old school vibe.  The layout is pretty good and it was easy enough to follow along.  I think the "ride along" scenario start is a good idea - delving into the proper rules later.

My only game I got in, I died in the first room.  The combat is far more role-playing than your average "hack n' slash" dungeon crawl.  I think this game would work best with a GM --- playing solo is easy but the bad guys are quite difficult so it would really feel more like a DM vs. Players skirmish game than a "waves of bad guys" adventure.

I love that the PDF includes game tiles for people who don't have anything on hand.  That's a simple and smart move.  Once again the art is classy.

Things I didn't like:
-Not a huge fan of the scale of the game.  I fall more in favor of the heroes hacking through dozens and dozens of goblins at a time, etc.  As such I'm not overly fond of keeping track of wounds for simple bad guys (something I disliked about Warhammer Quest despite my appreciation for that game).  This is of course a simple opinion and not a critique of the game system itself.

-I do think the monster cards need much more simplification/streamlining.  I expected the cards to have stats on them, instead of "leather armour" which then meant I had to go look up the armour value during play etc. I think simple numbers on the monster cards is a far better idea.  You could do away completely with the idea of taking items from monsters --- perhaps replace this with an option to draw a gear card for each enemy slain?

I'll give this another try when I get the chance, but from my first (and only!) experience, I found it more clunky than I was anticipating.  Again, probably easier with a DM who is covering his side of the cards/monsters.  I think it's a brilliant start but could really shine with some streamlining.

I have contemplated all weekend on the feedback I have got so far. I agree with you in making the game more streamlined and I'm now ready to make v1,1 of the game :). I'm going to work on simplifying the game but still try to keep the rpg feeling i sought for from the start. My first big change will be to make defend/evade passive modifyers as Malebolgia suggested.

I have several ways to go here. I can keep things as they are and make defend/evade passive modifyers to the attackers roll.

Or I can change Evade to only apply to ranged attacks and traps etc and defend to melee. This is what I'm leaning towards myself right now.

Or I can simplify it and make a attribute that applies to both. This will aquire a total renovation of the balance of the game. Wich I'm willing to make if it makes it better. Opinons are most welcome

The reason for making the evade work when attacked in melee in the first place was that I wanted the thief and ranger to have use for their agility and give them a edge.

Otherwhise I agree with most of your suggestions and will make a effort the comming weeks to shape things up:)
Until the last torch!

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: November 27, 2016, 10:07:04 PM »
I think it would be good to have both, defend and evade, to differentiate the classes a little more, like you say.
Passive mods might be the way to go though ;)

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2016, 08:19:54 AM »
I have several ways to go here. I can keep things as they are and make defend/evade passive modifyers to the attackers roll.

Or I can change Evade to only apply to ranged attacks and traps etc and defend to melee. This is what I'm leaning towards myself right now.

Or I can simplify it and make a attribute that applies to both. This will aquire a total renovation of the balance of the game. Wich I'm willing to make if it makes it better. Opinons are most welcome

I think both can work. Maybe give monsters a passive modifier to all attacks and give heroes a Defend and Evade stat. So no extra dice rolling for monsters (a hit is a hit), but extra defence for the heroes.
I think the most important thing is to streamline monsters…they are not the focus of the game. It’s about heroes, so I think most gaming time should involve them.
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
I think both can work. Maybe give monsters a passive modifier to all attacks and give heroes a Defend and Evade stat. So no extra dice rolling for monsters (a hit is a hit), but extra defence for the heroes.
I think the most important thing is to streamline monsters…they are not the focus of the game. It’s about heroes, so I think most gaming time should involve them.

I like that! Thank you :)

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2016, 03:45:07 PM »
Here is a example of how the new monster cards could look like. I have tried to have all relevant info on the card so there is no need for looking up weapons and armor and got rid of stats that the monster has no need for like ranged in this example.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2016, 03:58:44 PM »
Much better! Everything's on it and it's very clear. Maybe get rid of Crit hits for monsters? I know, I keep chipping at them, but this way it's easier to add more of them (since 4 will probably do as much damage as 3 with crit hits?). And easier to play monsters too.

And do Monsters need Focus? The Orc did with Frenzy...but maybe make it passive (in the lower area of the card).

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2016, 04:21:31 PM »
I think that looks much better/easier.  The only additional things I'd consider removing are the "+1D6" on the Gold (I think you could remove additional dice rolls where not really needed), and I agree the critical is perhaps not super necessary. 

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2016, 05:19:53 PM »
Looks nice.

Personally I would keep the Critical for monsters, but maybe that's just me ;)

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #55 on: November 28, 2016, 07:48:24 PM »
Much better! Everything's on it and it's very clear. Maybe get rid of Crit hits for monsters? I know, I keep chipping at them, but this way it's easier to add more of them (since 4 will probably do as much damage as 3 with crit hits?). And easier to play monsters too.

And do Monsters need Focus? The Orc did with Frenzy...but maybe make it passive (in the lower area of the card).

Maby I did think about it when I worked on the cards. I must look through the ability cards to check the focus attribute. But if it's redundant I will get rid of it.

I think that looks much better/easier.  The only additional things I'd consider removing are the "+1D6" on the Gold (I think you could remove additional dice rolls where not really needed), and I agree the critical is perhaps not super necessary. 

I'd like some randomness to drop but maby i'll make some item drop as you suggested instead.

Looks nice.

Personally I would keep the Critical for monsters, but maybe that's just me ;)

Ok. Thanks😊  I'll contemplate on this for a while.

Gabbi

« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2016, 07:50:05 PM »
WOW, really glad to see the community is helping this very promising project. Unfortunately (well, not so unfortunate, as I'm having some work to do, something a bit scarce here, lately) I'm busier than expected atm, so I can't help as much as I wanted to...

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #57 on: December 01, 2016, 11:10:30 PM »
I´m working on updating the rules and cards and I have uploaded new monster cards and a updated rulebook to the folder. I have not yet play tested the modifications and there is still some things to work on before v1.1 ;) is done. I´m also working on some green stuff sculpts that I aim to mold next weekend. They are still work in progress but I´l post some pictures.

Offline Comsquare

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #58 on: December 02, 2016, 07:52:13 AM »
So you skipped the critical for the monsters I see  ;)

Will test them tomorrow.

And nice sculpts, by the way  :)

Offline KJoelN

• Bookworm
    • Irrbloss miniatures
« Reply #59 on: December 02, 2016, 09:32:36 AM »
Yes I did. Mostly because the limited space on the cards:) Great! Let me know how work out.