Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:11:30 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 1:56 RAM II conversion  (Read 2151 times)

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
1:56 RAM II conversion
« on: October 31, 2016, 09:11:58 PM »
We recently did a small project for a client, and printed an extra turret to make our own RAM II tank.  This conversion used a Warlord Ram Kangaroo as a base.

Fun little tank.  I'm going to build another one in a command variant.

http://company-b-models-and-miniatures.myshopify.com/blogs/miniature-conversions-and-modeling/converting-a-warlord-kangaroo-to-a-ram-ii

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
Re: 1:56 RAM II conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:37 PM »
This looks lovely!  While it made perfect sense that the Canadian Army used Sherman tanks (especially as the Ram only had room for a 2-pdr!), I'm always thrilled to see distinctly Canadian vehicles (and other kit). 

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 10:06:51 AM »
Nice work! At the risk of sounding picky, there is a bit more work to the conversion than that.

The hull isn't quite right for a Ram II gun tank. The early model had a machinegun cupola on the left hand side of the hull glacis and a prominent hatch on the hull side. The late production version of the Ram II had a longer gun (6pdr not 2pdr) typically with a counterweight. The hull sides have a flattened pyramid shaped protrusion, that's quite distinctive. It's missing on the Warlrd Games Kangaroo. The actual Kangaroo had a slightly different shaped protrusion that was also smaller, although the WG one isn't wring as there were Kangaroos with smooth side hulls.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 02:38:21 PM »
Meh, it's a Ram. No one does one, until now; as a Canadian I lift my toque.  lol

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline CompanyB

• Mastermind
    • http://www.companyb.biz
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 04:30:59 PM »
The spot for the counter weight is there, we didn't make one though. One of the Company B partners (there are three of us!) made this one as the turret was fresh from shapeways. Pretty much its just representative of plopping the turret into the warlord model straight out of the box.  If we did all the conversions to the hull people would be expecting that as well.

More or less, this is to show:
1: We do custom CAD/Masters and small run prints/casting for regular folks
2: Look what you can do with a Warlord model!

We did make a small run of the turrets in resin.  So when those show up, I'll have another go using some British Sherman bits and such.  The kicker is that the Warlord Kangaroo is a special order and takes a month to get.

We did have some discussion here about doing a proper RAM II, both early and late models.  As the turret fits, but there are some inaccuracies and scale issues with the Warlord hull that don't allow the turret to lineup correctly with the hatches and such.  But then if we did the RAM tanks, we'd need to do the Canadian Grizzly...then things would snowball from there.

It's not like we already have sets of Canadian infantry decals, Armored Brigade Decals, and sherman parts lying around (oh, wait..we do!)
I have a few one off models I'm getting made in CAD for printing.  So maybe when those are done, I can go ahead and foot the bill for the RAM II and RAM I hull in CAD and build a proper conversion..if only to tease Grant...

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2016, 01:11:42 PM »
Nice, it's good to see some of the more unusual subjects getting some love.

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2016, 02:32:41 PM »
  So maybe when those are done, I can go ahead and foot the bill for the RAM II and RAM I hull in CAD and build a proper conversion..if only to tease Grant...

Get behind me, you evil man!  lol