Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:16:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Commercial) W79: Flight of the Wild Geese  (Read 8446 times)

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: (Commercial) W79: Flight of the Wild Geese
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2016, 10:58:51 PM »
Excellent Mike - they look like they will fit perfectly with my Governor's General Army figures

The more the merrier

Guess I might need to get some more landrovers cast up as well

8)

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2016, 09:19:00 AM »
Great-looking figures all round and certainly fit for purpose.  :)

Out of interest, is there any chance of some head packs? In particular, beret heads, balaclava heads and M1 helmet heads?

Floppy bush hats, British 'Turtle' and French 'OTAN' helmets, would also be quite useful for the setting; as used by the RSA and Rhodesians.

Certainly a beret head-swap for the Simbas would produce passable Belgian Paras for the Congo in the Mid '60s, if you don't mind the little differences and there being no FN MAG.

Unless you're able to get hold of an old Dinky die-cast Bedford RL, or are happy with the 1/50th ones by Corgi et al, we'd need to bully someone into making a 1/56th resin one. They were ubiquitous to South Africa, Rhodesia and I think Zambia too, until superseded by Unimogs and Mazdas etc., an iconic troop carrier.   

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
    • Mike Bravo Miniatures' Blog
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »
Arlequin, I am actually bullying someone into making a Bedford (well, at least I think he knows it and said yes...).

There'll be an FN MAG for the African Paratroopers.  I'll check out those Belgians, as if the 'little differences' aren't that great it may be feasible to get some conversions moulded to save the hassle of head swaps etc.

Akula - Yes I think they should match very well.  I'll see if I can compare some against each other later.  And I need to follow up with your landies!  Well reminded!

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 03:30:20 PM »
Good news on the RL.  :) 

Ideally for the Rhodesian War gamers, the cab doors need to be removable (and the roof partially replaced with a flat hinged 'lid', but hardly difficult modelling); for everyone else the normal production model should be fine.

Out of interest, all the weapons and kit used in the 'African' Wild Geese scenes was supplied by the SADF and was current for 1977, even down to the Vickers Guns and Blindicides; but not the five UZIs and the other prop 'character weapons'. I imagine that the uniforms used were purpose-made however, as they weren't of the 'Nutria' type used by the SADF back then. Incidentally, Ian Yule who played 'Tosh' had actually been a mercenary between acting stints (and had served under Mike Hoare, the film's technical adviser in the Congo) and Ex-Nasho Roger Moore was teaching drill on set. I imagine most people already know that when he was 16 (1944) Hardy Krüger had been drafted into the 38th SS Division.   

As for the Belgian Paras, as far as I know (which is not too much), their tropic smocks, trousers, puttees and the way they wore their berets, were all 'British style'. Their webbing was similar to, if not actually, '37 pattern webbing, but with snap fasteners on the pouches; somebody else will probably know better here somewhere on the fine details. Searching for 'Operation Dragon Rouge' should throw up a lot of pics.

The most obvious difference that will stand out in 28mm, is that they (as well as the Katangese and ANC), used the distinctive Vigneron or 'Vig' as the main SMG; although UZIs followed as time went by. Heavy-barrel FALs were used instead of Brens and BARs, but adding a bipod and a 30 rd mag to a figure with a standard FAL shouldn't be too much of a hardship for folk.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 09:56:48 PM »

Malamute - Robi has sculpted a machete which can be added to the figures, but presume you mean being wielded? Might be something we can do if enough people would be keen.

Yes being wielded, just one or two. It might add a bit of extra character to the figures, especially in the context of the film.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 08:49:00 PM »
Andrew @ AMC Figures has kindly painted up some of the first off castings of our Mercenary Officers:

All Mercenary Packs (inc HMG) have been funded so are all in various states of sculpting/production:  https://www.mikebravominiatures.co.uk/collections/zimbalawi

(The UN/Katangan element will switch to some form of Kickstarter later this month/New Year once I've firmed up availability with the sculptor.)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2016, 10:42:09 PM »
They look just the job. Great DPM.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: December 11, 2016, 02:14:53 PM »
Just got a copy of 'Flying Lead' by Rich Jones and Andrea Sfiligoi. Plan for the new year, get a pile of these little lead Heroes, bung on the soundtrack to 'The Wild Geese' and get painting... it's always best to have a plan!

:-*
« Last Edit: December 11, 2016, 02:18:10 PM by Harry Faversham »
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2017, 04:22:03 PM »
It's been a while but next 'greens' for the Mercs and Africans are on their way into the casting queue:

More Mercs:

African HQ elements:

Available in the shop for pre-order and should ready for flight in April.

Vickers HMG team and misc characters Medic, President and Cuban Officer on the sculpting bench (more Simbas and some East German advisors in the queue)

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2017, 03:39:28 AM »
Awesome stuff.

Offline Mike Bravo Minis

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2017, 09:24:00 PM »
Support inbound:

Objective marker:

(Should be shipping in May)

Offline Ash

• Mastermind
    • Ashley Straw.com
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2017, 10:48:55 PM »
My shopping list is growing...

Offline SABOT

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
  • " Keep Loading !"
« Reply #28 on: April 25, 2017, 10:00:03 AM »
Superb!

Offline Chris Abbey

• Mastermind
    • Sally 4th Wargames Terrain & Figure Storage
« Reply #29 on: April 25, 2017, 04:49:30 PM »
Over at Sally 4th we've been busy working on a range of buildings and bridges to go with Dan's lovely miniatures.

Just finished the Control Tower last week, Airport building is just being cut this week and then we move on to making the barrack complex next week!

http://wargamesbuildings.co.uk/Wild-Geese
Chris Abbey
Www.sally4th.co.uk