Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 03:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: VSF aerial arms race  (Read 13000 times)

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
Re: VSF aerial arms race
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2009, 02:51:40 AM »
I must admit that these make me wish for an extra meter or so of workbench space, lots of parts, time, and energy.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2009, 07:56:03 AM »
Ohhhh I've just thought I might use some of the Renegade French Marines for my air navy. I really like them! I know you don't like using WW1 figures Malamute but these are pretty tempting. Maybe a few head swaps from the Empress figures spare heads packs ( I reckon they look pretty similar in size).As an aside you might want to have a look at their deals at present (49p a figure). Even with postage to Oz it still works out well:

http://www.renegademiniatures.com/news.htm

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2009, 08:20:52 AM »
I was just discussing the use of the gasmask cavalry with Malamute the other day and lamenting the need to buy so many. The cost becomes prohibitive when you need to buy steeds for them as well. Means I'm paying for horses which I'll never use. Then yesterday, they suddenly become available as a regiment pack at half price, it's a sign!!!
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2009, 09:44:30 AM »
I wish a company actually produced kits of these things. there is no way I have the time (or talent) to produce something that good.

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2009, 12:00:00 PM »
I wish a company actually produced kits of these things. there is no way I have the time (or talent) to produce something that good.

Well....it all depends on how much scratchbuilding you want to do and how much kitbashing from other kits you can do. I take my hat off to those who go from scratch. I like to look at an object and see ways of chopping and altering to get what I want (hence the great and hilarious use of that supa-soaker water gun some moons back on this forum). I'll always do some scratch stuff to add on though.

I suppose now's a good time to show everyone the basis of my aircavalry unit:

I picked mine up on e-bay for around 6 quid each. I bought four but they sent me five in the end. I thought I'd end up with three single units and a twin heavy weapon support/ bomber unit by combining two. Any suggestions anyone before they go under the knife?

I'll keep you updated with pics as the conversions progress.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2009, 01:04:34 PM »
The only fiddly bit I can really see is the prow of the ship. I just spent about an hour or so going through what I'd need to build one of those gunships in the second picture. I'd probably scale it to about 60cm long so it has a playing surface and can still be used on the table top (albeit a really big table top!)... but those mothers would be huuuuuuuuge to scale up in 28mm.

I have a few other projects I need to finish (and a university degree that so generously donated an hour for me to draw stuff all over my notes) but this thread has been a huge inspiration.

I can't wait to see what you can come up with!

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2009, 01:33:51 PM »
the jammedgatling
Sorry I am getting a bit lost with your post. Do you have five of these ships?
And if so why do you need to cut them up?
What scale are they?
You don't happen to have a pic of one next to a 28 mm?

christian
Are you talking about scratch building the ship in thejammedgatling's post above?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2009, 01:56:53 PM »
The Sierra is a nice diecast. I kept looking at them but decided the amount of work needed to change it into something usable would make it too much hassle. They were £9.99 where I was looking though and that was more than I was willing to pay just for the engines  :)

I'd use the small "wings" as tail rudders, leave the engines and drive propellors largely unchanged, then build a new superstructure. The main body is too thin really to do much with. Of course, feel free to prove me wrong!

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2009, 10:55:14 PM »
christian
Are you talking about scratch building the ship in thejammedgatling's post above?

Yes... or at least something quite similar! I have some sketches which I may scan and put up here. It's fairly ambitious but I hope to do it!

Offline thejammedgatling

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2009, 01:20:13 AM »
the jammedgatling
Sorry I am getting a bit lost with your post. Do you have five of these ships?
And if so why do you need to cut them up?
What scale are they?
You don't happen to have a pic of one next to a 28 mm?

christian

Yes, I have five of them. Size wise they are about 24cm long from memory. Scale wise from the film they would have been huge ships hundreds of meters long. However with the little gondola on the bottom covered/ cut off they could be any scale. My plan is to use them as a Huey chopper style fast attack troop carrier. I will post some pics of mine next to some 28mm figs to give an idea of scale asap.

The Sierra is a nice diecast. I kept looking at them but decided the amount of work needed to change it into something usable would make it too much hassle. They were £9.99 where I was looking though and that was more than I was willing to pay just for the engines  :)

I'd use the small "wings" as tail rudders, leave the engines and drive propellors largely unchanged, then build a new superstructure. The main body is too thin really to do much with. Of course, feel free to prove me wrong!

I'm quite tempted to reverse the design so the rear propeller becomes the front. The main body would then be a superstructure from which to hang the scratchbuilt driver and troop compartments. One roof gunner and two side mounted maxims or gatling guns will probably fulfill armament. Steam boilers are a must as well. I think I may turn that curly front section into some sort of steam pipe (or weapon maybe). It is a really nice model and a shame to chop up... Here goes..

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2009, 03:26:49 AM »
This is going to look beautiful!

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2009, 04:17:33 AM »
I just want to know who makes them!  :o
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Fuzzywuzzieswiflasers

• Scientist
    • Little lead men of valour
« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2009, 05:09:18 AM »
Christian,

(in my best Vader voice)"Don't underestimate the power of a big floating ship on a wargamming table"

I'm sure the temptation will be too great sometime in the future and the zeppelin will turn up in a Gaslight game with remodelled gondolas and steam pipes!   :o
Crikey, sir. I'm looking forward to today. Up diddly up, down diddly
down, whoops, poop, twiddly dee - decent scrap with the fiendish Red
Baron - bit of a jolly old crash landing behind enemy lines - capture,
torture, escape, and then back home in time for tea and medals.
Blackadder 4

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2009, 07:07:54 PM »
The sierra is very interesting and would be ideal as a small attack craft.

It's a shame they only produce this one in an 11" resin version:

PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #29 on: February 21, 2009, 12:13:28 AM »
Oh No! Pappa Midnight has made an appearance.  It can only be a short time before Rudi will reply and then this arms race will really be on!! lol lol lol
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.