Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 03:08:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691349
  • Total Topics: 118389
  • Online Today: 628
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Fantasy Greeks  (Read 12639 times)

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Fantasy Greeks
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2017, 10:20:54 PM »
That is stunning. Really nicely done. On a white undercoat?
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2017, 11:19:30 PM »
Thanks  :D

Black primer(that's what I'm used to-I find black is better for a quicker style of painting as any missed areas still look okay). Painted the feathers with the GW red base coat (Mephiston Red?) and then mixed that with yellow and a bit of white, adding more yellow and white as I went up through the layers.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2017, 11:21:33 PM by SpaceGoblin »

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2017, 11:23:31 PM »
Okay, cool.

Online LordOdo

• Mastermind
    • StormToren (my wargame blog)
« Reply #33 on: May 13, 2017, 12:20:59 PM »
 :o :o

Where's the Phoenix from? It looks fantastic!!
''Its so much easier to build something new than work up the courage to actually paint some.'' -Wyrmalla (2015)

Offline Duke Donald

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: May 13, 2017, 02:22:24 PM »
The Phoenix is spectacular!

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: May 13, 2017, 10:20:42 PM »
Thanks! :) The phoenix is a toy from the Safari range. If you type 'Safari phoenix toy' into Google or Amazon it'll appear :) Not the cheapest toy but cheap my miniature wargaming standards and a very nice sculpt.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2017, 10:23:07 PM by SpaceGoblin »

Offline The Red Graf

• Scientist
  • Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris
« Reply #36 on: May 14, 2017, 01:34:10 AM »
Really lovely execution. I have wanted to do something like this for years, ever since I saw this book. Glad to see somebody pulled it off.

Semper in excretum sum sed alta variat

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2017, 12:03:41 PM »
That book looks interesting :) That's the style I'm going for-a combination of Greek culture with an African setting (although it's fantasy so it's neither of these really). I wanted to create something a bit more exotic and strange than a straight Greek mythology army :)

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
That Phoenix looks great

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2017, 11:09:12 AM »
Great concept, great design and great job!

Honestly these look fantastic!

Offline Morgan

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: May 18, 2017, 04:27:56 PM »
Really lovely execution. I have wanted to do something like this for years, ever since I saw this book.

That cover is exactly what I thought of when I first saw this thread.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2017, 07:46:33 AM »
This is an outstanding army - from the concept to the kitbashing to the painting!
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Bergil

• Mad Scientist
  • Toy maker
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2017, 07:56:48 AM »
Really very nice.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2017, 08:31:03 PM »
Thanks everyone for the kind words and good tips on other lines and books to look at  :D

I had my first battle a couple of weeks ago against a legion of undead. It did not go well for me, but it all looked good on the table which is the main thing.
My army was a bit too flimsy and lacking in hitting power. I should perhaps have included the phoenix-although that model is better with a wizard or two around (its' save improves if people cast spells nearby) and I didn't have any spell lobbers ready.
To fix certain deficiencies I'm currently working on some centaur characters (one wizard), more centuars and soon some hoplites that will provide a tough unit that can hold up enemies. I hope to add a couple of hydra as well to improve the armies' hitting power.

Other than army composition I also made a big mistake with my deployment as I set up my archers and general on the left flank-I should really have put them in the center (since in the scenario you didn't know where your objective would be until turn 2 and that unit was my slowest).

I also chose to take the first turn which was a blunder as my archers were out of range of the enemy even after moving. In this game system (Age of Sigmar) you roll off to see who goes first at the start of each game turn after the first. In this case my opponent won the roll off for turn two. Thus he had two player turns in a row, which proved disastrous for my mobile but not particularly resilient units (the centaurs and eagle chariots) who were forced to sit helplessly while the enemy closed in.

Not sure if I'm a fan of that rule. I favor squad by squad activation in general (having your opponent use his entire army while you sit and wait is one of the things I don't like about 40k)-so a game where your opponent will often get to activate his entire army twice in a row whilst you can do nothing is not a plus point. It hurts a fast but flimsy army like the one I was using quite a lot. I need more resilient units to act alongside the mobile stuff.

I love the eagle chariot models but they are pretty weak for their points. I'm hoping they come down a bit when the new 'Generals Handbook' comes out later this year. As they are it's difficult to justify taking them in a competitive game.

So-a pretty disastrous game but I learned a lot-both in how to deal with the enemy and what I need for my army to function in the game system.  :)  I'd quite like to try a 'Bolt Action' style activation system for this game. Might be more fun.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2017, 09:53:02 PM »
Lovely looking game and good that it also focussed your energy on what to paint next!