Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 04:07:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690724
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ghost in the Shell - the movie  (Read 10652 times)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
Re: Ghost in the Shell - first movie trailer
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2017, 08:26:35 PM »
Which version had something of an origin story for Kusangi? 2nd gig? Not really the interesting part of her character but hey, Hollywood needs to go through an origin story before characters are allowed to do anything else...

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #31 on: February 13, 2017, 09:11:26 PM »
Which version had something of an origin story for Kusangi? 2nd gig? Not really the interesting part of her character but hey, Hollywood needs to go through an origin story before characters are allowed to do anything else...

Interesting, I was really interested in the story behind Kusanagi's cyberization.

Can't wait to see this :)
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #32 on: February 13, 2017, 10:33:13 PM »
2nd gig has part of her background story - .Kusangi's labyrinth - affection.. Where she and Kuze are childhood friends, both survivors of some accident or other and early full prosthetics.

I don't think it's so much a tachikoma we see as a think tank. I'm thinking they've rehashed part of the first movie where the Major plays off against a think tank with the puppet master. The trailer seems to show a mash up of various bits. I do wish they'd do something original rather than rehashing older stuff (and perhaps buggering up completely), even if they didn't follow on from the high tide mark of the stand alone series.

Do we also see a goof with Batou without his cyber eyes whilst driving the car asking about Kusangi's past? :/

EDIT: just found link to Kusangi's background story from SACS 2nd gig:
« Last Edit: February 13, 2017, 10:38:47 PM by dijit »

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
Re: Ghost in the Shell - the movie
« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2017, 02:54:14 AM »
I won a contest and got to see the movie before general release, and on IMAX ;)

I really enjoyed it even if the story is a mix various sources. Visually it's the best cyberpunk movie since Blade Runner - lots of inspiration there  :-*
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 03:17:07 AM by Predatorpt »

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2017, 02:59:45 AM »
Even if the movie isn't great, I can't argue with Scarlett in a bodysuit for half the film.  I'll see it.  :-I

+1!!!  8)
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2017, 03:00:25 AM »
Congrats on the win there. I'm looking forward to seeing it soon.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2017, 08:54:40 AM »
Four chaps from work and myself going to see this Saturday. I saw the cartoon and thought the story was OK, I hope they haven't dumbed it down for this version.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Arlequín

• Galactic Brain
  • Culpame de la Bossa Nova...
« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2017, 09:39:00 AM »
Not really the interesting part of her character but hey, Hollywood needs to go through an origin story before characters are allowed to do anything else...

Maybe but as the majority of dollars to encourage a sequel are going to come from people like me, who don't do manga/anime and have no idea what this is about, then there has to be elements of origin there to get me to buy-in.

A couple of hours of Scarjo in a bodysuit is not to be sniffed at, but is nothing new either and there's no Iron Man for the levity breaks.

I'm clueless (sort of) but up to seeing it.  :)

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2017, 11:26:14 AM »
Maybe but as the majority of dollars to encourage a sequel are going to come from people like me, who don't do manga/anime and have no idea what this is about, then there has to be elements of origin there to get me to buy-in.

My comment was just in regards to what appears, from the trailers, to be the story of the new film - about how her previous life was 'stolen'. In the original film, her previous life  is largely irrelevant; she's just a spec-ops officer with a fully cybernetic body and has had one since childhood. What's interesting is what she's becoming. Backstory is not required to enjoy the first film.

My fear is that the new film is basically Robocop. I might be totally wrong mind you, but I'm not going in with high hopes.

Even when the Major's life is focused on more closely in the TV series, I reckon there's something entirely more tragic and interesting about a childhood and adolescence with a cybernetic body, than waking up in one as an adult (if that is indeed the plot, which is also the plot of Robocop...).

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2017, 11:32:35 AM »
My fear is that the new film is basically Robocop. I might be totally wrong mind you, but I'm not going in with high hopes.

Even when the Major's life is focused on more closely in the TV series, I reckon there's something entirely more tragic and interesting about a childhood and adolescence with a cybernetic body, than waking up in one as an adult (if that is indeed the plot, which is also the plot of Robocop...).

Ok, NOW I am very afraid! :o

But... I guess ScarJo with that bodysuit and killing lots of mooks in shockingly hideous ways is enough to save almost any movie... even if she's not a good actress enough to convince as a Japanese girl!
 ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2017, 11:36:07 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline soulman

• Bookworm
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2017, 04:26:51 PM »
Just got back from watching Ghost....WOW.... most stunning film that i seen and grabbed me.  Music was powerful, So much to look at with each frame. I`m guessing first cyberpunk film from blade runner ? . If you asked which is best.... its 2 different beasts... blade runner is  slow and dark,  run down feeling with just humans 99% of the time.Ghost is a neon world stuck on dirt and grime with bad guys and everybody with cyber tech added too them. you never know what you may come up against in a battle. Bladerunner 2 needs to have something special in its rain coat to fight this beast off.... Amazing world...........

Offline Love_the_Lash

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: March 31, 2017, 10:51:10 PM »
Loved the design, love the chap playing Aramarki - despised pretty much everything else unfortunately much to the great annoyance of my wife who thought it was okay

Offline JamesValentine

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2017, 10:55:26 AM »
I'm gonna try and see this Monday at 13:00 crewe Odeon.
now to avoid this topic and any others until then  lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2017, 07:02:33 PM »
My comment was just in regards to what appears, from the trailers, to be the story of the new film - about how her previous life was 'stolen'. In the original film, her previous life  is largely irrelevant; she's just a spec-ops officer with a fully cybernetic body and has had one since childhood. What's interesting is what she's becoming. Backstory is not required to enjoy the first film.

I just got back from seeing this. Yep, it was Robocop. DISAPPOINTED!!  :-[

Offline Andrew Rae

• Mad Scientist
    • Statuesque Miniatures
« Reply #44 on: April 02, 2017, 03:31:40 PM »
I just got back from seeing this. Yep, it was Robocop. DISAPPOINTED!!  :-[

Noooooooooooo!

Oh well. I'd still like to see it, just for the visuals.

Why does everything have to have an origins story? Imagine if the Alien franchise had started with Prometheus instead of Alien!