Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:06:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: The Curse  (Read 1454 times)

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
The Curse
« on: January 01, 2017, 09:16:53 AM »

http://battleoflewes.blogspot.com.au/2017/01/rebel-centre-ward-commander-gilbert-de.html
Okay, the above link is to my latest development for my long standing and slow progression for my Lewes re-fight but that's really not what I wanted to write about.
At fifty I find I am still learning and developing my techniques so much so that within this project my latest efforts are making my previous ones sub-standard - the curse! I moved to making heavier lances with a graper for this figure and the latest batch of ten mounted knights (for a later post). The lance is also treated to three coats of wash - desert yellow, red/brown wash and a black wash. I don't do the obvious wood grain effect popular with many as I don't feel it would be visible at these scales. This and the latest batch of knights took for-ev-er! I painted until my back ached and it took more hours than I could have imagined. Now my previous knights with thinner and shorter lances (without grapers) look ... well, I'm trying not to. Anyway, after I finish the basing of the latest ten knights, a bishop and the above commander for the Centre Ward, I'm taking another spell from Lewes (at the 75% mark) as I'm anticipating the arrival of three heavy regiments of British cavalry for Balaclava - which I'm getting stuck into immediately.

Offline Madhouse Workshop

• Bookworm
    • http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop.blogspot.com/
Re: The Curse
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2017, 01:29:41 PM »
Even old guys, I'm not quite as old as you 3-4 years younger ;D, get better with practice.   

Offline Unlucky General

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2017, 07:33:48 PM »
I seem to spend 95% of hobby time building and painting as opposed to actually playing wargames and for me the process and result is becoming the goal itself rather than finishing units for a game. I never field anything but a completed figure or model for gaming - my incentive to complete things. I am definitely more detailed and fussier with what I do than I was 15 years ago. It's really slowing me down.

Offline Madhouse Workshop

• Bookworm
    • http://psychosispc-themadhouseworkshop.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2017, 02:16:20 AM »
Building and painting is my favorite aspect of the hobby.  Since I had brain surgery going on 2 years ago next month, and completely lost my hearing on the left side I have not played a game in any hall or big events.  Loud noisy halls effectively cause me to go completely deaf, not a fun sensation, almost like a sensory overload.  It seems to be gradually dissipating. I'm still recovering and gradually adapting.  Right now painting and building is sort of rough, but its something I love to do. My left eye because of some facial nerve damage resulting from the tumor/brain surgery is giving me some issues with that, but its teaching may to adapt and deal with it.   

Offline rampantlion

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 12:47:41 PM »
My style has changed as well as improving on my painting skills over the years, resulting in a lot of variety in my collection of 28mm medievals.  If I went back and tried to make everything "uniform" I would never get done.  I want to game and I see painting as a necessary thing to get there, but I like it, don't love it.  I've seen photos of your projects as you've gone along and the earlier figs that you mentioned are still very nice.  I wouldn't change a thing, but you are ultimately the one that has to be happy with the end result.

Keep up the good work and the updates, I enjoy following the project.

Allen