Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:27:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)  (Read 7638 times)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Re: CinC (Chaos in Cambridgeshire)
« Reply #30 on: November 22, 2016, 02:13:54 PM »
Mason - Thanks for commenting, I appreciate it. I have posted a few AAR's and they are a lot of work which is why I am so impressed with quantity and quality of your output.
I do have a bone to pick though, I have spent literally days reading through your Old West and Strange Aeons threads - think of all the figures I could have painted in that time. lol lol lol lol lol

Thank you, sir.
 :)

As for your bone-picking....just think of how much I could get done if I didnt mess about posting stuff on here.
 ;D ;)

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: November 22, 2016, 02:16:22 PM »
Of course, it could be worse....

...instead, we could be comparing scrotum's like the other chaps.
 :o :o ;)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #32 on: November 22, 2016, 06:38:52 PM »
 lol lol lol lol lol lol

You don't think it will get us banned from the forum do you.

It wasn't us it was them, your honour.

Doug - I am begining to understand it must be a south western thing, the Scrotum appreciation society. :o :o :o

Thanks for making me laugh so much. Ha - Gothic Horror

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2016, 11:47:18 AM »
That's the most action Cambridgshire has seen for decades!
C17 East Anglia was rife with folk tales and stories - I blame the beer!

ESSEX

Henham
Robert Winstanley of Saffron Walden wrote a pamphlet titled ‘A True Relation of a Monsterous Serpent seen at Henham on the Mount in Saffron Walden,’ published in 1699. The creature in question was a winged serpent (it would have been called a gwiber in Wales) that appeared in May of that year. It was around nine feet long and as thick as a man’s leg. Its eyes were as large as sheep’s eyes and it had several rows of sharp teeth. It was also furnished with small wings.

Despite having caused no trouble, its demeanour was sufficiently alarming that a group of villagers armed with farm implements and stones chased it off.

Horndon
The dragon of Horndon was said to have been imported in the Middle Ages by Barbary Merchants (presumably as a youngster) from whom it escaped. It set up home in the surrounding forest and grew to huge proportions.

It was eventually killed by Sir James Tyrell who managed to dazzle the dragon by wearing highly polished armour.

St Osyth
A broad sheet produced in 1704 refers to a dragon of “marvellous bigness” being discovered here during the reign on Henry II. Nothing more is known about this creature.

Saffron Walden
The pamphlet that deals with the Henham winged serpent also relates the story of a basilisk dragon that held siege to Saffron Walden centuries before. It was described as:

“…not about a foot in length, of colour between black and yellow, having very red eyes, a sharp head and a white spot hereon like a crown. It goeth not winding like other serpents but upright on its breast. If a man touch it though with a long pole it kills him: and if it sees a man far off it destroys him with its looks. Furthermore it breaketh stones, blasteth all plants with his breath, it burneth everything it goeth over; no herb can grow near the place of his abode.”

The basilisk killed so many people that the town was becoming severely depopulated. Finally a wandering knight delivered the townspeople by covering his armour in crystal glass. On seeing its own reflection, the monster died.

SUFFOLK

Bures / Wormingford
Confusion and controversy surround this legend on the Suffolk / Essex border. Both the town of Bures and the village of Wormingford lay claim to the story as their own.

In a 19th century translation of a document from 1405, the story is told of a fearful dragon that had a hide impenetrable to arrows and which disappeared into the marsh after having caused “much hurt”.

Wormingford begs to differ, saying that the creature resided there and was finally killed by Sir George de la Haye.

The description of this dragon sounds very like a crocodile. Indeed, many think it was such a beast that got free from the Royal menagerie at the Tower of London and made its way to Suffolk. One can readily imagine the fear a 20-30 foot reptile would have struck into the hearts of the peasants.

Little Cornard
Two dragons did battle here. A spotted red dragon from Ballingdon Hill on the Essex side of the River Stour came down to fight a black dragon from Kedington Hill on the Suffolk side. After a long battle the red dragon won. Both dragons survived the fight and returned to their respective lairs.

A contemporary document recording these events is held in Canterbury Cathedral.

NORFOLK

Ludham
A fire-breathing dragon struck fear into the hearts of the Ludham residents. Upon discovering its cave they tried blocking the entrance, but the dragon merely tore away the rubble. Finally one man found a boulder that was the exact shape of the cave entrance and blocked it up whilst the dragon was out.

On finding its cave blocked the dragon moved to the vaults under the ruins of the Abbey of St Benadict.

Don't forget the giant black dogs too

The Black Dog of Bungay

One of the most frightening incidents ever reported took place in the quiet market town of Bungay, in Suffolk.  On the Sunday morning of the 4th of August, 1577, during the Morning Service at St. Mary’s Church a terrible and violent storm broke out. The sky darkened, thunder crashed and rain fell heavily from the skies.  Lightning flashed wildly as the storm broke upon the church.  Inside the congregation knelt to pray.

Suddenly to the horror of the congregation from out of a flash of lightning there appeared in the church a huge and monstrous Black Dog.  Howling wildly as the lightning flashed and thunder pealed, the beast ran amok attacking the terrified parishioners and causing havoc.

Two people at their prayers were killed and a third man was badly burned from being mauled by the beast, but did survived the ordeal.  There was great damage inflicted upon the church, as the tower was struck by lightning and the clock destroyed, before the Black Dog finally ran wildly from the church to the relief of the petrified congregation.

Around twelve miles away in the Holy Trinity Church at Blythburgh, at a about the same time the Black Dog, or another beast like it, appeared and also attacked the frightened congregation at prayers killing three people.  There are scorched scratch marks on the church door that can still be seen to this day.

Some excellent potential scenarios amongst them I reckon
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2016, 08:17:44 PM »
I recon so ;)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »
Thanks for pointing this out to me, I really enjoyed reading the story and looking at all the nice scenery you have on the table. A wonderfully constructed setting with lots of character and charm to it and as a sometime solo player myself (although I'm lucky enough to belong to a gaming club) I appreciate the time and effort spent playing the game, taking all the pictures and writing it all up. It's not done in a flash  lol!!!

I think the loose floorplans are a great idea as you haven't got lift off roofs on the buildings (I think there are many MDF alternatives nowadays though) and work well.

My parole is: "It's MY game and I play it ANY way I like to, as long as I enjoy myself!"
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2017, 12:34:51 AM »
Cheers - I'm glad you liked it, thanks for commenting I appreciate it.

When I built these houses it was for use on a big table with my 1st ECW army with no thought for access. Times have changed and now I only have a small table and 28mm skirmish is all that fits, I enjoy it much more.

Currently I am more constrained by money rather than time, and so MDF is probably out but I have learned from the past and my new Viking houses do have lift off roofs and for a man on a budget are a big saving on mdf :)