Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 06:57:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689573
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What scifi setting for Rogue Stars will you use?  (Read 8048 times)

Offline Genghis

• Mad Scientist
Re: What scifi setting for Rogue Stars will you use?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2016, 06:01:04 PM »
Something loosely 40K/Inquisitor based.  If the rules lend themselves to it, I might try to convert the weapons/armour to suit something a bit steampunky.
Instagram: @genghis_toy_soldiers

2024 - Figures Acquired: 50  Figures Painted: 9
2023 - Figures Acquired: 99  Figures Painted: 100
2022 - Figures Acquired: 59  Figures Painted: 54
2021 - Figures Acquired: 56  Figures Painted: 60
2020 - Figures Acquired: 63  Figures Painted: 92

Offline Hummster

• Scientist
    • My blog
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2016, 08:48:25 AM »
Going to see what the setting implicit in the rules is before I really decide but it probably end up as a mashup of elements from the rules setting, pulp SF and space opera type settings with a dash of Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2016, 05:06:40 PM »
I have always wanted to game something based around the Demon Princes novels by Jack Vance.....
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Wachaza

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2016, 08:42:52 PM »
I have always wanted to game something based around the Demon Princes novels by Jack Vance.....
There's something I hadn't read in years. Might have to dig them out.

Offline Kommando_J

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2016, 10:24:30 PM »
I've been alternating between Enterprise and Deep Space Nine so may have something based off those.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2016, 10:33:58 PM »

Heavy Metal Movie (1981) universe  ;)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 10:37:23 PM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline SmegHead

• Lurker
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 01:37:42 PM »
I've been waiting and searching for a rules set like this for some time.  I've a small army of 15mm figures I bought and painted up.  I played Laserburn a long time ago and although I still own a copy of these rules they really are a bit archaic.  I'm hoping Rogue Stars will suit a campaign game as a kind of hybrid Laserburn - Traveler RPG. 

Offline mellis1644

• Mad Scientist
    • Adventures in painting
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 02:25:28 PM »
I have loads of Necomunda/Judge Dredd/Mercs figs which I'm sure will be used for at least trying the game out.
My painting blog is at: http://mellis1644.wordpress.com/

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #23 on: November 24, 2016, 08:57:49 PM »
I don't really see the need for a specific setting. The universe is vast, after all ...

What I will do is knock up some brief background for games as required (the local setting rather than the overarching one).

Models-wise, I'm planning to use both these guys and a large number of 15mm Traveller and Laserburn figures that I have kicking around. I imagine most of our games will be 28mm, though.

I've got various other aliens and humans underway. I'm painting up various GW space marines that have fallen into my possession: not as "marines", but as various renegades, pirates and mercenaries. I quite like the idea of standardised power armour being widely available or recycled, but painted in all manner of outlandish schemes. I always found this imagine in the 40K rulebook more appealing than those of space marines:

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #24 on: November 24, 2016, 09:29:18 PM »
I quite like the idea of standardised power armour being widely available or recycled, but painted in all manner of outlandish schemes. I always found this imagine in the 40K rulebook more appealing than those of space marines:

EXACTLY!  ;)

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #25 on: November 24, 2016, 11:06:31 PM »
And on that note ...

Offline Davros

• Librarian
« Reply #26 on: November 27, 2016, 11:57:05 PM »
      After spending some time to find a potential science fiction setting for Rogue Star, I have decided to take elements from Tri Tac Games FTL 2448 as the basis for the setting.

http://tritacgames.com/FTL.htm

The game has the gritty feel like Babylon 5 has, plenty of aliens (interesting and silly) a very good timeline (dated) and plenty of information for the setting.

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2016, 09:25:15 AM »
Ill use a mixture of 40k, Dune (!) and all my childhood favorites from TV, novels, comics and cinema to play in a Rogue Trader world as I had imagined it.

Still dont know yet if I will commence my old Inquisimunda collection and finally start painting the two Colony 87 sets or use my extensive 15mm collection.

From the first reading I suppose the rules might be too detailed for my 15s, where I would rather trade in a few layers of detail (like hit zones) for the possibility to use more minis.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #28 on: December 31, 2016, 04:26:17 AM »
There are so many sci-fi worlds that I would find it impossible to nail just one down.  For the time being I am planning two different gestalt "universes" composed of my favorite tropes.

The first is the spaghetti western space opera born from Star Wars, Star Trek and Serenity.  A galaxy full of diverse lifeforms and interplanetary skullduggery.  An evil space empire/corporation is pretty much a requirement here.

The other would be built around humanity taking it's first furtive steps outside of the solar system with the rest of the universe as a cold black sea the explorers looking for the new world sailed.  This setting would be built around the Expanse, Enterprise, Aliens, and if I could squeeze it in there some Mythos as well.

@DivisMal I'd love to get some Dune in here too;  I'm just not sure which setting to put it in.  Probably a bit in both.   

Offline supervike

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • supervike's stuff
« Reply #29 on: December 31, 2016, 03:19:05 PM »
Just ordered the rules.

I started off thinking this would be a good impetus to work up a bunch of Sci-Fi minis I have, which are sadly just collecting dust.

But, the more I think about it, the more I think I want to revive the Star Mogul universe from long defunct Alpha Forge Games.

Miners, salvagers, military, pirates, Aliens, works great for me.