Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:17:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What scifi setting for Rogue Stars will you use?  (Read 8080 times)

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
Re: What scifi setting for Rogue Stars will you use?
« Reply #30 on: December 31, 2016, 03:55:28 PM »
There are so many sci-fi worlds that I would find it impossible to nail just one down.  For the time being I am planning two different gestalt "universes" composed of my favorite tropes.

The first is the spaghetti western space opera born from Star Wars, Star Trek and Serenity.  A galaxy full of diverse lifeforms and interplanetary skullduggery.  An evil space empire/corporation is pretty much a requirement here.

The other would be built around humanity taking it's first furtive steps outside of the solar system with the rest of the universe as a cold black sea the explorers looking for the new world sailed.  This setting would be built around the Expanse, Enterprise, Aliens, and if I could squeeze it in there some Mythos as well.

@DivisMal I'd love to get some Dune in here too;  I'm just not sure which setting to put it in.  Probably a bit in both.   

Yes, we definitely need more Dune in Wargaming. Problem is that I imagine a lot of it being very close and personal. So actually a fantasy or even historical ruleset might be best to start working on.

Offline Predatorpt

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Sci-Fi blog - Task Force Thor
« Reply #31 on: January 01, 2017, 08:23:49 PM »
There's 2 settings that I want to explore (and use within my one setting): the RPG Shatterzone (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shatterzone) and the time between SW: Return of the Jedi and SW: Force Awakens, described in the Star Wars: Aftermath novels, with the Empire falling apart while the Rebellion tries to switch from being a resistance movement to an actual government.

Offline horridperson

• Mad Scientist
  • Doing the Will of The Horned Cat
    • Void Spaces
« Reply #32 on: January 01, 2017, 08:39:02 PM »
@DivisMal

Adding Dune into the mix could present some challenges on the ground.  Must be careful with the ingredients to avoid awkward Trek/Dune/Aliens fusions.  Turn one:  Phaser to the Holtzman shields and, "Game over Man.  Game over" :) .

Offline JamesFlowers

• Assistant
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2017, 04:45:55 AM »
I intend a cyberpunk/shadowrun game.
I have lots of hasslefree scifi's and moderns to act in the near future , and I have ideas for cyberpunky dystopian future terrain.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2017, 10:11:09 AM »
I'm thinking of the variant Star Wars setting I've been thinking of for a while and tried a few times to run with Saga edition but never really got people playing.

Basically, it's a few thousand years post Endor...meaning that it doesn't really matter than much which continuity things are from and would work well either way.

New factions, but there's still the Jedi, white armored troopers, dark side crazies, galactic empires, and more...

Offline livanbard

• Assistant
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2017, 01:45:35 PM »
Basicaly space frontiers with a cyberpunk feel and somewhat lovecraftian aliens (Like the reaper Kulathi models).

Also I plan using it to play some Inquisimunda games.

Offline tberry7403

• Student
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2017, 03:01:08 PM »
I'm thinking "Judge Dread" or "Stargate".

With "Stargate" I finally get to use those Jaffa Warriors I got from Eureka (before they pulled).  :)

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2017, 04:24:45 PM »
I'm not much into setting outlines but I immagine the Rogue Stars setting as somewhere between Firefly and Elysium... Something very close to Killjoys (if you don't know the show, do something with it!).
http://wargamingasp.blogspot.cz/ - Not entirely serious gaming blog

Offline The Gray Ghost

• Mastermind
  • Beware The Gray Ghost
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2017, 10:14:27 PM »
something along the line of Traveller I really liked the setting before the virus.
I used to be with it, but then they changed what it was. Now what I'm with isn't it anymore and what is it seems weird and scary.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #39 on: January 04, 2017, 10:39:06 AM »
For me Infinity is a given; love its setting and minis, can't get my head around the rules.
40k might be a close second, if Rogue Stars can handle a squad of powerarmoured marines. Otherwise, Arbites fighting Genestealer cultists is always an option.

Offline spect_spidey

• Scientist
« Reply #40 on: January 04, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
I will probably go with Star Wars or 40K as my setting.

Offline Psychopomp

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: January 04, 2017, 09:24:52 PM »

Borderlands, perhaps.  If I can find the time to do the modelling project.  Vault Hunters, bandits, company men and troops; all with a post-apoc space cowboy vibe.

Offline mdauben

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: January 04, 2017, 09:41:09 PM »
I'm envisioning a vaguely "Star Wars-ish" setting, without Jedi or Sith.  A galactic civilization of multiple sentient species, FTL travel, self aware robots, and lots of cool scifi tech.  Smugglers, traders, criminal underworlds, etc.    I figure that can give me a whole universe of settings (desert planets, jungle planets, city planets, etc.) to play with.
Mike

Offline Jiron

• Librarian
    • WASP Club Blog
« Reply #43 on: January 08, 2017, 09:17:53 AM »
For me Infinity is a given; love its setting and minis, can't get my head around the rules.

Same here but I sold the models already. On the other hand, I could buy the old Fusiliers and make them Star Cops. Hmmmm

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #44 on: January 08, 2017, 04:20:02 PM »
On the other hand, I could buy the old Fusiliers and make them Star Cops. Hmmmm

My reasoning is also that I will use models which the official rules don't allow me to deploy in a number or combination I'd prefer. For example, using Rogue Stars I can field my loved Loup-Garous as a coherent, stand-alone force, without the silly requirement to pair them with parachutists and trenchers.