Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:52:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar  (Read 2040 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar
« on: November 17, 2016, 10:59:41 PM »
Well, mostly Sisters of Sigmar; there's a couple of friends too.

This is a bunch I did for a customer. We had some discussion about the leggings. He originally wanted bare legs, as per GW's original paint jobs. I argued that these are basically angry nuns, and nuns would be unlikely to be running around with naked flesh and would cover up with sensible woollen drawers. I don't think I convinced him, so much as he couldn't be bothered to argue the point any more.

I found these really difficult to work with because the weapon hands are separate and need to be attached at the wrist. Because the hands are so delicate and awkward to hold, I found I couldn't drill them to pin them in place on the wrist (plus my own left hand was in plaster, giving me no grip at all) so was relying on super-glue. Awful. They must have come off every time I looked at them meaningfully. Hopefully the several dozen layers of super-glue, plus my inventive swearing and sheer hope will keep them in place from now on.

This next one with the knife came out looking spookily like Clare Balding, the BBC sports presenter.

This one's an unreleased Chaos Possessed dude. I wanted his skin to look unhealthily mottled, like it had started to decay.

And a lovely wee doggie. I spent ages making sure to give him nice little light spots in his eyes, then took the photo from an angle where they didn't show. Bum.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2016, 11:03:10 PM by Cubs »
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
Re: Mordheim Sisters of Sigmar
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:08:24 AM »
Amazing as ever! I think the pincered chap and the dog are my favourites, but they're all terrific.

Mordheim was after my (first) time, but I haven't been particularly taken by the models from it: it seems that Citadel went crazy for huge hands and weapons at that point (the Skaven being a particular case in point). The mace and hammer here seem particularly in need of the Uccello warhammer corrective (which can't have helped the struggle for attachment!). But your muted tones really help to offset that: you've siphoned off the cartooniness very nicely. And that's quite apart from the wonderful implementation of those tones.

The effect on the mutant's claw is similar: I love the way that it almost slips beneath the radar at first glance because of the natural hues. Brilliant!

Offline Spooktalker

• Mad Scientist
    • Warlock of Lead Mountain
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2016, 01:35:43 AM »
These are masterpieces!  :o I won't look at these figures the same again. I'm double glad I have them now (sans limited guy)!

Can you share how you did your bases? I'm planning a light colored, dry, minimal style on a big batch of figures I'm working on and having a hard time getting it right. Groundwork seems like it should be easier with washes and drybrush than the figures but I find it the opposite, I never have a problem with the figures. When I'm after something I tend to do dozens of tests and dislike most of them. Really like what you've done.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2016, 02:21:20 AM »
SPLENDID! The Holy Babes, Chaos Dude, & Doggy are all BEAUTIFUL creations; easily some of the best Mordheim pieces I've seen. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline Reed

• Mad Scientist
  • Once bought, must be painted.
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 06:01:17 AM »
The skin on this figures seems truly well done, and the overall effect is fantastic. The client should be thankful for these.

Offline Schrumpfkopf

• Mad Scientist
    • Westfalia Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2016, 06:35:14 AM »
Lovely stuff.  :)
westfaliaminiatures.com - proper stuff in 28mm

Offline CaptainHaddonCollider

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 09:21:45 AM »
Love the Sisters, the paintjob is very fitting to the characters of the models and the feel of Mordheim in general.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 10:42:53 AM »
Thanks guys. Having painted a lot of Annie's Bad Squiddo ladies over the past year, I've had to learn how to adapt to painting women's faces. I tend to paint in a lighter shade generally and keep them smoother, without such dramatic transitions or craggy bits in the face, especially under the eyes. Does that make sense?

Can you share how you did your bases?

I wanted them to look like they were in an urban environment, but one that is halfway to being overgrown and overtaken by nature (albeit unnatural nature) again. It's really just a grey shade, highlighted with increasingly light grey drybrushing. Then the dark patches were put in with brown ink splodges and dark wash splodges. I liked the contrast between the pale bits (of stone dust) and the dark muddy bits. The lumps of broken stone were sprue bricks chopped up a bit.

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2016, 10:56:40 AM »
Lovely work!  :-*

The LE Chaos Possessed chap is my pick of the bunch though - both sculpt and paintjob.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2016, 11:32:01 AM »
These are very fine paintjobs. I painted my sisters in typical GW manner for Mordheim 15 years ago - yours look so much better!!!

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2016, 02:19:50 PM »
Love the woolly tights!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline Erny

• Scientist
    • Erny's Place.
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2016, 02:39:02 PM »
The mace and hammer here seem particularly in need of the Uccello warhammer corrective (which can't have helped the struggle for attachment!). But your muted tones really help to offset that: you've siphoned off the cartooniness very nicely. And that's quite apart from the wonderful implementation of those tones.

And yet those maces look just fine for the this is fantasy not real life Eternia rule of cool . The wepons could easily be replaced with more ones of more relalistic proportions but they woudln't look anywhere near as good. I'll save that for my historics.

I love the spikes on the mutant, warhammer sillyness at its best and the paint jobs are just beautiful.

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
Grand show, they look far better than the GW paintjobs  8) 8) 8)

Offline ErikB

• Mastermind
  • Sometimes I feel like Schroedinger's Cat
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2016, 06:18:37 PM »
Wow!  Fantastic painting!