Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Turkish fleet for Imperial Skies  (Read 2342 times)

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
    • Sean's Gaming and Shooting Blog
Turkish fleet for Imperial Skies
« on: November 18, 2016, 03:15:30 PM »
I've started painting models to be used with some Imperial Skies games.  My first fleet will be Turkish. 

This group of ships were my test models and I'm pleased with the results.  These are Muin-I-Zaffer Class Dig Cruisers from Brigade Models.

The finished product.  I have 4 of these, but I guess I didn't get a picture with all 4 ships.

A close up of the detail.

This is really a quick and dirty paint job, but I think it turned out well.  The ships are pretty small so I don't plan to do any more detail than this on the ships.  I will still add a flag to the masts and may add some markings to the tail.

I'll post more updates as I expand the fleet.

More details can be seen on my blog.  http://gamingandshooting.blogspot.com/2016/11/imperial-skies-muin-i-zaffer-class-dig.html
The winning player isn't always the better player.

Offline von Lucky

• Galactic Brain
  • Melbourne, Australia
    • Donner und Blitzen Wargaming
Re: Turkish fleet for Imperial Skies
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 08:39:58 PM »
Lovely colour selection and painting. Once with the accents of red and white from the flag and decals, they'll pop even more.
- Karsten

"Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality."
- Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland

Blog: Donner und Blitzen

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 02:31:27 PM »
Looks nice so far.  How are you liking the game rules?  I've been debating taking a small plunge on them myself.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2016, 04:28:01 PM »
We haven't actually tried them out, though we now have three copies in hand.

Sean likes them from reading, I've not decided whether I prefer them to the modified Aeronef I've played in the past. In either case, I still prefer to the Leviathans for which I never successfully got my head around.

I'se loves the flying ships, so we'll battle SOMETHING.  ;D

Doug

Offline Hobby Services

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2016, 04:33:13 PM »
Well, there's always Starmada, which ports to aeronefs pretty well in my experience.  Needs some altitude rules added, but that's easy enough.  Come to think of it, the (very simple) altitude system in Dropfleet Commander might be useful.  Treat "atmosphere" as "right on the deck amongst the church steeples" and low and high orbits as varying conventional flight levels and you'd have something there.

Look forward to hearing a review and some battle reports on Imperial Skies when you folks get some games in.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2016, 06:51:03 PM »
I have Nova, Admiralty, Fleet Ops and X lying around. Just enough difference, you need to specify.  :D

As for altitude, I'm fine with David Manley's Warlords of the Skies article from Ragnarok for Aeronef, and think they'd be malleable to most other rule sets.

Doug

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2016, 09:03:22 PM »
Thanks for the kind words.  I'm working on some more ships so I can actually try out the Imperial Skies rules.  I'm one of those grumpy (not so) old men that insist on playing with painted models.

I plan to have small fleets for the first game and expand the game size as ships become available from the ship yards (aka, my paint table).

I've read through most of the rules and like what I see.  I've no real experience with Aeronef so can't really make a comparison to those rules.  From what I've read and understand, these rules aren't real technical, but offer enough options that the games will still have a good amount of depth and tactical options. 

I will be working on putting some scenarios together for our games and the idea of playing pitched battle after pitched battle isn't that exciting to me.  I will also play with smaller fleets than lots of others will.  I will have the occasional large action with the only objective to kill the other fleet, but having objectives to accomplish besides destroying enemy ships is more enjoyable.

I'll try to keep you all updated as I make progress and will hopefully be able to play a game in the not to distant future.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 04:03:36 AM »
The future is here.

I was spanked.

Thanks again, Sean!

Doug

Offline sean_68333

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 05:41:04 PM »
The future is here.

I was spanked.

Thanks again, Sean!

Doug

I had very lucky dice compared to you.  That is an issue with playing a small fleet action.  A few lucky rolls and one player suddenly has a big advantage. 

Thanks for the game and now I can re-read the rules with a better understanding of the game mechanics (having now seen them first hand).  I look forward to our next engagement.

Online The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 07:01:02 PM »
I had very lucky dice compared to you.  That is an issue with playing a small fleet action.  A few lucky rolls and one player suddenly has a big advantage. 

Again, accentuated by the rules. Use of a command point to activate up to three ships is useful at the right point in a large action. When it's the whole side, it can be devastating. Add that we started close and you won initiative, and the rolls don't have to be TOO lucky.

Already in my 'list of adjustments.'  :D

Doug