Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 05:29:01 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Warfare 2016  (Read 3244 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Warfare 2016
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 03:04:13 PM »
Well the only people Overrevdsquat didn't praise in his impassioned defence of shows was the poor old traders. Many of them make little or no money from shows when all the expenses are calculated; they give up their weekends; travel long distances on Britains clogged roads; get up at ridiculous times to get there and get home at equally ridiculous times; spend hours lugging their stuff in (usually helped by keen club members); spend more hours dragging their stuff out at the end (usually ignored by club members who have lost interest now it's all over) and try to maintain a cheerful and helpful demeanour throughout the day (well I do, anyway  :D). So, I wouldn't call being a bit peeved by people blithely blocking access to your stand (and leaving their empty coke cans, food wrappers, coffee cups etc on your display) moaning, to be honest - just an observation of a relatively minor but irritating negative which it's quite reasonable to mention in a topic reflecting opinions and experiences. It doesn't prevent us from enjoying the overrall experience - otherwise, we wouldn't keep coming back.

Warfare is no better or worse in regards to these minor peeves and it's in the top 3 of shows so far as I'm concerned. My observations are general.

Doug

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 08:11:19 PM »
I know it's sort of the done thing to moan about shows

It's not 'the done thing'. It's that when people advertise an event they've created and charge you money to get in, they take responsibility for the experience. I accept there's a category difference between an amateur operation charging a fiver a ticket against a professional event charging £50 a ticket. But I don't buy the idea that because our fellow wargamers lay on these events for love rather than money, it's somehow rude or inappropriate to criticise when aspects of that event fall short.

Why not cut the world some slack? If you can't, why not stay at home and save your blood pressure?

And if you don't like people criticising wargames shows, don't read those threads and save your blood pressure? ;)

The fundamental issue with Warfare, which I've attended on and off (mostly on) for the last 20+ years, is that in the last couple of years it's become apparent that it's outgrown its venue. No doubt the organisers are now wondering how to address the congestion which quite a few people have commented on.

The fundamental issue with some wargamers is that when they get into that show environment, their regard for other people appears to go out of the window. You choose to be unoffended by it - fair enough. I choose to keep remarking on it in the - probably futile - hope that one day it might change. Our choices are our own.

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2016, 12:59:40 PM »
Apologies Doug - without the traders the shows would be much reduced. I love chatting with various friends among the traders, and seeing stuff up close and personal. You don't have to chat with many to understand the early mornings and marginal cost benefits of doing shows, it amazes me how cheerful many of the stall holders manage to be!

I love the odd times (Warfare is often good for this - being one of the last shows of the year) when a trader will have a bargain bin of miscast resin or end of lines.

I do feel for those traders who find themselves in bad places - with no light, or next to the bring and buy (as a suggestion for the Warfare guys, move where they put the GW stuff away from where the traders are - it's easily the busiest part of the B&B), or in the signal black spot, or whatever.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #18 on: November 23, 2016, 03:25:56 PM »
Some interesting comments...
I arrived at 09.30 and was fortunate to get into the car park - we left around 11.45. Thanks to the M3 being closed and a certain rugby event in Twickers the journey home took over 2 hour. I suspect many of the spaces were taken up by the tournament chaps who clearly started earlier. Nice touch with the Charity box,

I have been to Warfare for about six years now and each time I have had a good time. Had the chance to talk to some traders, look at some games and generally come away thinking the industry must be doing OK if the show is full.

However I am coming to the opinion that the shows (and in particular the traders) are missing out.

I went to Reading with about £200 in my pocket. I left with £170. Much of what I saw was the same old stuff and so little in the way of new ranges, new traders and new opportunities. Perhaps its because I have everything I need ? I doubt it as there are plenty of scenery, figures and other paraphenalia out there that will get my cash when I find them.

Shows like Warfare will need to offer me more if I am going to attend in future. For example maybe they should consider lectures and presentations from the personalities of the industry and auctions to raise money for charities. Ultimately they need to create more excitement and more theatre.

Final point - did anybody else see that chap walking round in Rabbit Ears? Odd ;)   

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #19 on: November 23, 2016, 03:52:08 PM »
I went to Reading with about £200 in my pocket. I left with £170.

I always over spend at shows, don't I Mark?

lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2016, 04:12:58 PM »
Final point - did anybody else see that chap walking round in Rabbit Ears? Odd ;)   

Yes - he was at Colours also. My wife thought they were rather fetching. On closer investigation (ie asking him) it transpired that they were meant to be wolf's ears (much more macho). Sadly, I also thought they were rabbits..... :D

Doug

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2016, 04:18:05 PM »
Yes - he was at Colours also. My wife thought they were rather fetching. On closer investigation (ie asking him) it transpired that they were meant to be wolf's ears (much more macho). Sadly, I also thought they were rabbits..... :D

Doug

You mean you spoke to him...so you established they were Wolf Ears - did he explain why he was wearing them?

Perhaps it a secret code only known to a select few?

Online olyreed

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2016, 04:41:30 PM »
I saw him at colours and Warfare, I explained to my mate he must be a furry

Offline Overrevdsquat

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2016, 07:30:48 PM »
That'll be my son.

He's autistic spectrum, a roleplayer and Larper. He wears them so that he looks as weird and different as he feels, and, so he says, so that people will leave him alone and not do scary things like try and make small talk. I try and tell him that they are more likely to make people talk to him.

Within the roleplaying / larping community where he is they seem to be a bit of a uniform.

They are wolf ears, he can get quite upset if you tell him they are rabbit ears. They are a bit short :)

He did get less funny looks at Warfare than at Colours.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2016, 07:50:16 PM »
That'll be my son.

He's autistic spectrum, a roleplayer and Larper. He wears them so that he looks as weird and different as he feels, and, so he says, so that people will leave him alone and not do scary things like try and make small talk. I try and tell him that they are more likely to make people talk to him.

More power to him.