Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:17:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Swordpoint?  (Read 3394 times)

Andrew_McGuire

Re: Swordpoint?
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2016, 07:35:34 PM »
Hmm, okay, I'll admit I was thinking primarily of the 100 Years' War.

Clearly we have to give the rules the benefit of the doubt at this point (and I'm going to wait a while, having only just got around to ordering Sword and Spear).

BTW, purely a guess, but D seems likely to stand for discipline, though that may be a bit too similar to cohesion to  be a worthwhile distinction when there are only two categories.

I'm also wondering why another attempt to replace Warhammer Ancients is needed, when we already have Scarab Miniatures' War and Conquest, which was supposed to be a 'thinking man's WAB', or something of the sort, as well as Great Escape Games' Clash of Empires. Neither appears to have gained much traction.
(Confession: I own both, but have played neither).

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2016, 07:46:46 PM »
Clearly we have to give the rules the benefit of the doubt at this point

Agreed! I should clarify, I think the rules look really good, my nitpicking over weapons and armour is just because I was quite surprised to see that sort of thing.

BTW, purely a guess, but D seems likely to stand for discipline, though that may be a bit too similar to cohesion to  be a worthwhile distinction when there are only two categories.

I don't think it is, from what I heard on the podcast cohesion is basically their word for discipline / leadership / morale etc, and works the same way. Oddly some units in the army list DON'T have a D value, but I haven't been able to work out the pattern!

I'm also wondering why another attempt to replace Warhammer Ancients is needed, when we already have Scarab Miniatures' War and Conquest, which was supposed to be a 'thinking man's WAB', or something of the sort, as well as Great Escape Games' Clash of Empires.

Perhaps its main difference is that it uses multi-basing, whilst both of those (as far as I'm aware) are designed primarily for individual basing. I certainly have no problem with a new take on a familiar concept. The more choice the better!
Perhaps it plays somewhere between WAB (and successors) and Hail Caesar? Sounds like that will have its fans, both of them being 'extremes' on one end of the scale or the other.

Offline Mosstrooper

• Scientist
  • old enough to know better !
« Reply #17 on: November 24, 2016, 08:15:45 PM »
A friend has bought these rules but they don't seem to have a playsheet and can't find one online ?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2016, 08:33:15 PM »
As mentioned, there is already a three page discussion about these rules going on here: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=94441.0

Since we don't really want multiple threads / discussions on exactly the same topic, I'm going to shut this one and ask contributors to pick up further discussion on the pre-existing topic please...

Thanks  :)