Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:46:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689675
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Martini-Henry Question  (Read 2066 times)

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Martini-Henry Question
« on: November 21, 2016, 11:05:02 PM »
What is the correct way of painting the M-H rifle, please?

I remember somebody writing about some sort of British rifle, that it had wood casing on top of/all around the barrel, only showing the metal near the muzzle, but I don't remember if it was the Martini-Henry or some later (WWI/Interwar?) design.

The images that I have found on the web shows both the wood and the metal as very dark, so it is difficult to tell the difference...

I apologize if this is a stupid question, but I have next to no knowledge of firearms (hereabouts one needs to have a hunter's license to buy a real gun, and I have never had any interest in spending leisure time that could be used at the pain(t) station or the gaming table on killing animals).
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Martini-Henry Question
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 11:18:00 PM »
I think you mean the Lee Enfield 303

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:23:17 PM »

Offline WillieB

• Mastermind
  • Gotcha!
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:28:54 PM »
If it is indeed the Lee Enfield you mean then yes, not much metal is showing. The breech with a metal band going to the trigger guard, the rear sight,  the muzzle with the two characteristic 'wings', the magazine and the barrel band in between the last two. At least some of the Lee Enfield models had a brass butt end plate, others in blued metal.

Actually the Martini- Henry isn't all that different, except that in most models the entire barrel is visible.

Panic, Chaos and Disorder. My job here is done

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2016, 11:54:23 PM »
Great, I knew I could count on you gents!

Thank you, I shall now be able to paint some Zulu with stolen or bartered rifles for IHMN, then Congo, and wherever that slippery slope leads me...  lol

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 01:56:03 PM »
Was reading something the other day that kind of put the film, Zulu, in context. The article said that Zulus were more than familiar with firearms, using them for hunting, and that some of the Warriors were decent shots... kind of gives the lie to the blokes in the film holding the rifles upside down at arms length!

::)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2016, 12:02:37 AM »
The reports of Zulus firing captured Martini-Henrys at arms length with one hand is believed to be not because of lack of know-how, but an attempt to mitigate the monstrous recoil the rifle had. The Zulus just weren't used to it. It gave an extremely powerful kick to the shoulder, which over the course of a battle could become very painful. British Tommies would come out of a fight black and blue, covered with bruising on the shoulder because of it.

Argonor - The rifle in question was definitely the Lee-Enfield (the British service rifle for both World Wars). For a while, back in the day, we had a little jokey thing going on LAF called "The Wrongly-Painted Rifle Club" because of it. Easy mistake to make, if you're not familiar with the weapon. I think the first ones I ever did I did wrong.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2016, 12:42:35 AM »
Argonor - The rifle in question was definitely the Lee-Enfield (the British service rifle for both World Wars). For a while, back in the day, we had a little jokey thing going on LAF called "The Wrongly-Painted Rifle Club" because of it. Easy mistake to make, if you're not familiar with the weapon. I think the first ones I ever did I did wrong.

I probably painted the rifles of my Pulp Figures tropical Brits the wrong way, then! lol

Got to remember that for the next ones I paint up...

Offline Ivan DBA

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2016, 02:31:36 AM »
I painted the Lee-Enfields wrong the first time.  Then fixed them years later.  Can I still be an honorary member of the club?

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2016, 03:26:15 AM »
The other thing making the Martini-Henry a pig to shoot is the slim butt and the comparative lightness of the furnitures. Nice, if you've got to march, carrying the thing... but an absolute bastard when the drums begin to roll.

:o

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2016, 09:26:54 AM »
I painted the Lee-Enfields wrong the first time.  Then fixed them years later.  Can I still be an honorary member of the club?

A bona fide member. You only have to paint them wrong once. Fixing your mistakes doesn't disqualify you. I'll inform the burly, surly doorman that you're to be allowed in. :)