Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:10:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Mk VIs of the 4th Hussars (3rd ECW and possibly Greece)  (Read 4466 times)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Mk VIs of the 4th Hussars (3rd ECW and possibly Greece)
« on: February 14, 2009, 11:57:07 AM »
Hi guys!

Well, basically I should be miffed at you, luring me into yet another period, but then again, hey, I had the models lying around... lol

Intrigued by that nice 3rd ECW setting, I finally managed to assemble and paint two Mk VI light tanks (Mk VIb, if I got the correct parts from that huge bag of stuff) which I bought in 2006 from Chieftain Miniatures at Crisis for a Desert War project (never realised, probably never will).

I chose a plain green paint scheme, mainly because I had reference for this in the form of "Windsor", a tank of the 4th Hussars, when in Greece in 1941. Being the cunning lazypants I am, I didn´t just want to be able to use them for 3ECW, but also for a possible "Balkans adventure" themed army. Of course, the English Lawn (TM) bases which are so despicably ravaged by the war will not be as suitable for Greece. ;) But a small price to pay. Finally, I´m as yet undecided which side to choose; basically, I´d like to go for a conservative, but non-fascist faction. On the other hand, if I leave them as is and only use regular uniforms, I´d be able to side with anyone. Treacherous turncoat, me. lol

Nice little models! I´m currently considering getting some infantry to support them, and some Carden-Lloyd-carriers would be nice, too. But all in due time, maybe over the course of the year as opportunity arises. In the meantime, as proposed in the original 3rd ECW thread, I´d like to remind you that I´d be happy to do specific unit cards for use with Triumph and Tragedy, as well as working out the vehicles involved. So, if you have images of figures for the conflict (and we can get the OK from the license holders), feel free to send me those and I´ll patch up a download.

Cheers!

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Mk VIs of the 4th Hussars (3rd ECW and possibly Greece)
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2009, 12:04:13 PM »
I see you want(ed) to do a Balkans adventure.
Which figures you supposed to use?
As far as I know there is no correct figures to use for 1941 Greek army in 28mm!
[maybe only some kepi clad lads -Tiger miniatures balkan wars-for greek gendarmes and cadets]
argsilverson

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2009, 12:15:15 PM »
I see you want(ed) to do a Balkans adventure.
Which figures you supposed to use?
As far as I know there is no correct figures to use for 1941 Greek army in 28mm!
[maybe only some kepi clad lads -Tiger miniatures balkan wars-for greek gendarmes and cadets]

Well, I already have some "early mid-WW2-compatible" Germans (some StuGs and infantry) which were painted with that in mind (although I mainly used them at the Russian front). I never got around making plans for the Greek, much less do "hot" research apart from reading general material on the campaign. It´s been some years, and the actual implementation of the project will, in all honesty, take some more years, although it may coincide with some plans we have for an early WW2 version of T&T and may therefore be realised sometimes around 2010.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »
when you need any information about Greek Army of 1940-1941 do not hesitate to ask. If we shall be around at this time, I will be glad to help you.

Offline Bungle

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2009, 12:18:43 PM »
Nice paint job.

Feels will weakening re these tanks.... and wondering when Chieftain will be reselling them.

Offline Durutti

• Scientist
    • view from the duck pond
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2009, 12:50:49 PM »
Nice paint job.

Feels will weakening re these tanks.... and wondering when Chieftain will be reselling them.

Crouchie should be up and running by Salute, with his new venture ( B.E.F Miniatures) so expect lots more early war goodness. including figures sculpted by Mike Owen (Artizan)!!!

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2009, 12:59:37 PM »
We got green grass in Greece! Granted... not in the summer, but we do. Especially in the north.  :) I like the tanks. Nice paintjob.

argsilverson, would you mind sharing your thoughts on a Greek WWII-themed army? I would love to find a way to depict one, but all I've found out till now is that you could use british uniforms as depicted here or commandos here. A PM would be fine, as I don't want to highjack this fine thread any further.

« Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 01:01:14 PM by Remington »

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2009, 01:05:35 PM »
We got green grass in Greece! Granted... not in the summer, but we do. Especially in the north.  :)

lol

Yeah, never did I want to imply a grasslessness of Greece! ;) Just that from the pictures I had of the actions of 3RTR in Greece, it all looked rather bleak and mountainous, thus a rather arid theatre of operations. I´ll probably use less grass on the infantry, but I wanted to do a certain "vandalizing the Earl´s garden estate" theme for these little tanks. ;)

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2009, 01:15:22 PM »
Yeah, Greek nature can do bleak as easily as it can do beautiful. :) I like the vandalizing theme you are going for. Great idea.

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2009, 01:48:40 PM »
Spooooky....I was looking up interwar kit yesterday and realised that the MkVI would have been in service "during" the 3rd Civil War.

Thanks for posting pix of the kit..its always good to see some extra views of something before plumping for it.

Offline Ascent

• Student
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2009, 02:44:20 PM »
Nice paint job.

Crouchie should be up and running by Salute, with his new venture ( B.E.F Miniatures) so expect lots more early war goodness. including figures sculpted by Mike Owen (Artizan)!!!

B.E.F Miniatures? sounds like lots of usefull early war stuff for regular forces.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2009, 03:41:24 PM »
Thanks for posting pix of the kit..its always good to see some extra views of something before plumping for it.

It´s an excellent model, concerning scale and proportions. The running gear is a bit tricky, considering cleanup (some mouldlines length-wise), and those various spring arms are difficult to attach (and you should use photographic reference to pick the correct ones for the respective mark). Apart from that, very much worth the money.

Offline Ook

• Bookworm
    • Ook Painting Service
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2009, 09:10:36 AM »
Great paintjob on those, given me the incentive to try and finish my own one off  8)
Le singe est dans l'arbre

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2009, 09:35:13 AM »
I really like those tanks

very nice paint scheme

dodge

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2009, 10:30:18 PM »
Hi Chris,

Lovely work on your AFVs.

I've been looking into the Norway camapign and found the Brits had sent some of thes evehicles on a Polish freighter that was sunk enroute. Could be a nice What If! beside the French H39 in Norway.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)