Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 08:57:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690904
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: En Garde! Rules Questions  (Read 1927 times)

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
En Garde! Rules Questions
« on: November 26, 2016, 10:56:24 AM »
Hello guys, hope you can help me, I have some questions about the rules....
1. If model pass my initiative for combat, did the model just move one step behind, on the end of initiative list, or its not attacking in that turn

2. how can Duellist benefit me other that +1CP. Can not find what advantage gives me for Two Weapon Combat

3. realy Long Sword costs less then Two handed Sword even though it gives better advantage?

4. Fast - it means that in my initiative I do attack and attack, right. Otherwise I make first attack, all other initiatives and my second attack, right?

Thank you

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
Re: En Garde! Rules Questions
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2016, 11:49:52 AM »
The model in a combat with the highest Initiative score (Initiative stat + 1D6) may initiate the first attack in that combat (if any attack chits are available). Then the second highest  et cetera until all models have made an attack or passed up the opportunity and you return to the model with the highest Initiative score.

It doesn't. The extra CP is the bonus for Duellist. You cannot otherwise fight with two weapons at the same time except when using a pistol in close combat.

There is only one type of longsword. It gives no extra Wound score if used one-handed (combined with a pistol for example) but it does when used two-handed (without any other weapon). I am not sure what you mean with Two Handed Sword.

Yes
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2016, 03:34:14 PM »
1. Clear
2. So its only for wysiwyg purposes as you can increase CP for two points, duelist cost you three, take atribute slot and have same effect
3. Long sword for 1 point gives you same stats as two handed sword except you can choose to fight with shield. Rulesewise why to boter with two handed ? In my pov two handed 2 points, long sword one point
4. Ok

Thank you for reply

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2016, 08:43:45 PM »
A long sword used two handed gives you an extra +1 wound score, the same long sword used one handed doesn't, but gives you the option of having a shield or weapon in the other hand.
I would just call it a sword if using it one handed all the time which saves a point; but if you want the option of either using it as a one or two handed sword have a long sword.

Offline Dalcor

• Librarian
    • Wargaming ASP Club
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2016, 11:08:02 PM »
Thats clear I see the issue in point cost of weapons
3 )
Long Sword cost 1 point, gives you the oportunity to go one handed with shield or two handed giving you the exact bonus as two handed weapon (+1 wound score)
Two Handed sword cost 2 point, you are always two handed, -1 initiative, +1 wound score.

So I have to pay more points for actualy worse weapon, which rules wise looks strange right?

2) I finnaly got Duellist advantage over +1CP in point buy. So i will answer myself. If you take pregenerated list Duellist gives you the option to goes with two weapons abd thats only way how to CP for 3 points. If you scratchbuild your list from point buy, CP increase is +2 points. Anyway whats the matter with Two Weapons combat... There is no description in the rulse, so

I would assume (and we play that as house rule) that you will choose witch penalty/bonus you can apply in each round of combat. Normaly you will choose your combat weapon before start of the first round of combat. For example you can shoot me in the face, and then using the pistol as the club.(Any way, its not clear in the rules as well but I assume that pistol works as club as soon as you have RELOAD counter). But If you have PISTOL and SPEAR and you are duelist, you can decide which weapon you use in each round and which bonus you will use. It makes sence.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
    • Vagabond's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2016, 11:44:08 PM »
Hi - sorry don't want to hijack the thread but generally what do you think to the rules, the period interests me as does the skirmish ethos. Hence the question.
Thanks

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Everything is Better with Vampire Supermodels
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2016, 12:33:54 AM »
Hi - sorry don't want to hijack the thread but generally what do you think to the rules, the period interests me as does the skirmish ethos. Hence the question.
Thanks

+1 ;)

Vagabond, check this out: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=92847.0
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 12:35:33 AM by dinohunterpoa »
"Because life is made of inspiration, dreaming and insanity in about equal measure."
- Erzsébet Báthory - 1560-1614 (?)

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2016, 01:52:35 AM »
+1 ;)

Vagabond, check this out: http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=92847.0

Thanks looks interesting, I have ronin but yet to get to grips with it as the combat system seems great for competitive play for two people but I need to decide how to modify it for solo play.

No bad reflection on the rules I just haven't had time to go through them properly yet.

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2016, 04:56:25 AM »
Thanks looks interesting, I have ronin but yet to get to grips with it as the combat system seems great for competitive play for two people but I need to decide how to modify it for solo play.

No bad reflection on the rules I just haven't had time to go through them properly yet.

Vagabond, I also have Ronin, and from what I've read online, En Garde! expands its swordplay aspect of the combat, with special skills and maneuvers, in order to get that swashbuckling feel.

I am curious to see how it handles what IMHO is a critical aspect of a swashbucking scenario: the use of the environment - like swinging on chandeliers, fighting while climbing scaffoldings, dropping barrels from the top of the tavern stairs or pulling the rug from under the bad guy's feet.  

Good luck on your search, and please keep us posted on your findings!  ;)

EDIT: Since you're interested in the setting, I suggest you to take a look at the Flashing Blades RPG for lots of good insights, ideas and scenarios that can be easily adapted to miniatures adventures:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/585/Flashing-Blades?it=1
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 05:26:29 AM by dinohunterpoa »

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2016, 10:36:36 AM »
En Garde is a pretty good set of rules. The combat system is fun, and allows better swordsmen to fend off many foes, in true Hollywood style.

Don't have too many shooters in the game, though, as musket balls don't respect who they hit!

There are no explicit rules for swinging from chandeliers and the like, but characters with the right attributes get special combat abilities like Riposte and Disarm.

You might also look at Flashing Steel, which uses the Song of XXX engine.

Offline Vagabond

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2016, 02:50:34 PM »
Thanks - just more temptation!!

Offline dinohunterpoa

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Isla de Santa Biscaya
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2016, 06:56:36 PM »
SteveBurt, thank you very much for the info on En Garde!

You might also look at Flashing Steel, which uses the Song of XXX engine.

I have Flashing Steel; it's worth for the mini-campaing alone ("To Save a Queen" is very clever and really fun), but a not-really-finished product IMHO: some issues on fencing maneuvers, lacking profiles of classical swashbucking characters (have some historical pirates, but not The Three Musketeers, for example), no ship rules and also lacking the environment rules - which would later appear in another Sfiligoi book: A Fistful of Kung Fu. A second and revised edition of Flashing Steel - with the inclusion of genre-specific environment rules like AFOKF - would really be a VERY good game for those who like the Song of XXX engine! (in the meanwhile, one can perhaps just combine FS with AFOKF  ;))

EDIT: I don't play Pulp Alley, but I've heard that they have very praised specific rules and ideas for swashbucking action in a latest supplement: Pulp Leagues.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2016, 07:11:42 PM by dinohunterpoa »