Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:53:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TNT Scenery - need an opinion on scale  (Read 1258 times)

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
TNT Scenery - need an opinion on scale
« on: November 28, 2016, 01:20:06 PM »
So after 10+ years break I decided to give a hobby another try. I was always into post-apo settings so TNT rules seems to be a good choice. Now I am building three different gangs/factions and I am trying to make some terrain/scenery.

I made some barrels/oil drums and i can't decide which size is more suitable for 28mm miniatures:

You should see a look my wife gave me when I was trying to build a "toy barrel" for most of the evening :). Right one is closer to real life oil drums (height/width ratio) but I think I like the left one better. You could say it's a barrel in heroic scale :). What's your choice?

And the other question is about toy fire truck I found in the attic. Do you think it fits 28mm scale or is it too small?

P.S. Sorry for all english mistakes, it's not my native language.

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: TNT Scenery - need an opinion on scale
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2016, 02:26:52 PM »
The barrel on the rightr side looks just right. I have been looking for a scale fire truck that size for 28 mm for quite some time. That too looks just right.
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

Offline nedius

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2016, 02:35:02 PM »
The issue with the barrel on the right is to do with the width of the rims.

At the size you have done, the wire (I'm guessing) should be thinner, and so look less pronounced. That is probably why the left barrel looks better - it's scale is more consistent with itself.

In all honesty, unless you are going for hyper-realism, I'd be satisfied with the one that you think looks best. As such, I'd go for the left option.

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2016, 03:23:17 PM »
The fire truck looks about right to me...I'm a Firefighter...

Offline Stepman3

• Scientist
    • http://stepman3.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2016, 03:26:18 PM »
 A good scale for firetrucks is 1:50... All my cars I use are in this range from 1:48 to a few Matchbox (box scale) and 1:50 scale. I know a lot of folks go for 1:43 scale but I feel its way to big...

Offline Jerekin

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2016, 05:18:21 PM »
First the easy thing. The Fire Truck itself just looks perfect sizewise. If you don't feel comfortable though, I'd recommend you to get wheels, which are a bit bigger and with a structured profile. If you google Firetruck you'll see that the wheels are slightly out of scale.

Second. I see both barrels problematic. Proportionswise the left one is for its heigth to wide and the right one to slim (actually just the body. together with the Wire its pefect, but the rims are just to big itself)

So you have the choice between making the left one higher or reducing the diameter of the wire for the right one and increasing the bodywidth a tiny bit (Or make it a bit shorter). Obviously the first would be easily accomplished with your already used materials and offers compensation for the base and good LOS block while the latter would be more in scale.

Another Idea would be to try to blend the wire of the right barrel "more in" through sheets of cardboard between the wire or some kind of thick coating like gesso or liquid plastic.

The GW barrels are 2,5cm : 1,7cm. Just for reference.

An all alternative method would be to glue 4 pieces of wire in the length of the perimeter of the barrels plus 2mm to cardboard. Then cut some thick aluminium foil to size overlapping on top and bottom off the wires and emboss it with the back of a pencil. After removing the foil from the wire bend the excess ends over and bend together. It looks very homogenous as well and after setting up your template mass production is relatively easy. The big plus is you can have smashed, battered or empty barrels this way.

I know I get excessive sometimes... Sorry guys.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2016, 05:43:03 PM by Jerekin »

Offline RedGobbo

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2016, 06:54:53 PM »
So the fire truck stays :). Thanks for your opinions.

I have been looking for a scale fire truck that size for 28 mm for quite some time.

If you're interested it's Matchbox Super Kings series.

@Jerekin Lots of good barrel tips, thank you. I think I will try and make the left barrel a bit higher. For me it's the fastest option but I also like the idea with aluminium foil.

Another Idea would be to try to blend the wire of the right barrel "more in" through sheets of cardboard between the wire or some kind of thick coating like gesso or liquid plastic.

Blending the wire "more in" would be problematic. The "body" is made of plastic syringe, not the cardboard. But also a good tip :).